Tanaka M870

jez

i have had one of these in my rack for years now with a broken slide assembly, very small part probably RS compatible

the OEM one it comes with breaks into two, to enable it to be fitted with flushed allen key heads

i was told the PPS is almost a direct clone and that the slide assembly from that should fit but the PPS was a piece was solid and didn't break into two like the original does so i wasn't able to fit it unless there was a special method, even watching Youtube videos on how the RS one was installed didn't help

the aftermarket one made by T.S.C that was CNC'd from steel is no longer available but this piece was also solid and didn't break into two like the original does

my questions are, has anyone had this issue before, is there a knack to fitting a solid one piece one, does anyone have an original one because my last resort is to mill one from steel

(and no, Tanaka don't have any)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Disassembling the Tanaka is indeed a nightmare of epic proportions. Getting the bolt out is difficult, but doable. Since the barrel is riveted (?) to the receiver you first need to disassemble the gun as far as you are able (trigger group, mag tube, stock, forend, and so on) until you reach the nasty bit. If you pull the bolt back and look inside the now empty receiver you should see the two rivets holding the inner-outer barrel assembly to the receiver. Getting those rivets out is your challenge. Fortunately mine just popped right out since they where only glued in place, but others I've talked to have had some difficulty with theirs.

Next you need come up with a plan to re-attach the barrel to the receiver. I had a friend of mine drill and tap the receiver to accept M2 screws so the whole assembly could be put back together. But I eventually came to my senses, sold the Tanaka and bought an APS.

With regards to Spare Parts, PPS and Dominator should fit since they are copies of the platform.

Archived