I've heard a lot of *suitcasey* things about the VFC MP5 family.

I find this a tad interesting though:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/umarex-mp5a3-6mm-gbb-dx-avalon-upgrade-version.html

I like the WE Apache a lot, and would normally get it over this, but is an upgraded VFC MP5 pretty good? The externals are way better than the WE, and has actual trademarks (along with the usual Umarex white paint ).

Also, what is the deal with all of the replacement trigger housings I am finding for this gun? Which ones are more 'accurate' to modern MP5s?

Why the VFC only have safe, semi, and full auto? Is that inaccurate for MP5s with navy trigger groups, or are non-burst MP5s more common?

How bouts you go read this: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/198210-vfc-mp5-umarex-licensed/ and post your questions there instead of posting a new thread for each of your questions so we don't have to rename this to SturmAirsoft.co.uk :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP5#Variants

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129:the-trigger-groups&catid=4:special-topics&Itemid=5

Modern MP5s that are "cool" are Navy style (pictograms) with burst fire option.

Old school classic MP5s are SEF lowers with semi and full auto.

Modern = Navy

Old = SEF

Cool = Semi/Burst/Auto

Normal = Semi/Auto

Not the most "reliable" source per say but cross-referencing this seems to verify and it has a nice layout: 

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP5_Identification_Guide

Go read the thread Nonex listed.

I did. I actually read most of the entire thread.

A lot of it is contradictory though. Some things work, but others say they aggravate the problem.

I would comment, but the thread is over two years dead.

Imo I wouldnt bother. A few people have managed to get them to run reliably but at a cost. I've had the WE for a year or so now and in comparison it is one billion times better at least. I mean it actually bloody works, range is excellent as is the accuracy. The hop is easy to adjust, unlike to VFC which requires a near complete strip to adjust. 

The VFC mags are awful, leaky and terrible, the 'bolt stop' system is not fantastic but realistic. The VFC externals are excellent but thats it.

As for trades they are minimal and not really noticeable, you couldnt pay me to use a VFC MP5. 

Buy the WE, buy the new updated more realistic mags and use it happily. Or buy the VFC and cry once a week because you wasted $500 on a paper weight. 

Are there any trademarked versions of the Apache?

Does HK3P make one?

The trademarks are the main factor. Another aspect is that I have a bit of a fetish for replicas to be made out of relatively 'accurate' materials. As a result, I want the most steel on an MP5 as the real one has.

Obviously, this 'philosophy' of mine is not not always realistic, considering steel bolt carriers are rarely made for the airsoft market. That is fine. However, I want other parts of the gun to be steel as well. The Apache's trigger and fire selector are pot metal. Whilst those are two small parts, it does somewhat annoy me.

If I could get a fully trademarked WE Apache (preferably the MP5A3), I would certainly settle on it. Are there any known upgrade parts for the WE Apache that includes a steel trigger and selector? The only upgrades I know of are upgraded hop up rubbers, inner barrels, and a trigger set made by Z-Parts (which I've seen parts from before, but know nothing of their reputation).

Another 'solution' could be to get trademarks put on it from a shop somewhere, that actually knows what they are doing. I know Bunny Workshop can do custom markings, but I don't think they have the WE MP5 series in stock. Can KIC, Airsoft Taiwan, or Airsoft Global do custom trademark work?

If you go VFC just keep it stock is the best idea.  If it's an older one that doesn't have the built in bolt guides, add those.  Otherwise keep it stock and you're less likely to run into issues.

I have had the VFC (MP5A5, SD6, MP5K) and the WE (MP5A4). 

Aesthetically and external quality, VFCs beat the WEs.  A mallet would have trouble bending the VFC receiver, but would make short work on the WE.  WE receivers are also more susceptable to rusting than the VFC.  Both VFC and WE MP5 full sizes do not shoot straight on the sight picture, as the welding on the cocking tube is off at an angle (except for the MP5K).  WE also has a higher rear sight that makes them arc high rather than shoot flat as on a VFC.  WEs feel like POF MP5s while the VFCs feel like H&K MP5s, the differences are miles apart.

Internally WEs have made some reinforcements and adjustment in places where the VFC have not, and has a stop-on-empty function.  WEs do shoot more consistently, and will keep firing.  Normal weakness is broken nozzle return spring and things rattling off (selectors and bits of metals, pins, screws).

VFCs have a tendency to wear bolt carriers (can be solved with a simple 30 sec mod with a dremel), and there are some with broken bolt carriers.  Nozzles used to break though newer nozzles seems to be fine.  I had an interesting failure on my MP5K where the plastic that holds the nozzle return spring pin bent out of shape and I could no longer use the return spring.  VFC hop ups are terrible and requires a VSR mod.  Older VFC MP5s require bolt guides (which i don't recommend as it slows down ROF and increases resistance), or guided feed ramps (crusader ramps).

WEs do kick better, but VFCs have higher rate of fire. 

Overall If you want a better shooting replica the WE is your choice.  If you want a better feeling/looking replica, and am technically capable then VFC.  With the right amount of work, the VFC is as good.  Do not overupgrade the VFC as it just decreases efficiency and increase chance of breakages.

I ended up selling everything and keeping the VFC MP5K.  As the nozzle spring can no longer be used, I removed the spring and modified this system so it doesn't use the spring.  As a consequence I increased the FPS by 40fps, so the FPS is around 350fps on 0.25g.  By all means the VFC MP5K I have is stock parts, stock hop up, runs propane with no lube, and seems to work well. 

VFC is working on a stop-on-empty trigger pack, so watch this space.

Interesting.  I thought they had pretty much abandoned the MP5s.  They were working on a 3rd burst lower but cancelled it.

Best bet for older ones to upgrade the bolt which is improved would you say?  Rather than the bolt guides?

I have a VFC MP5A3 & MP5K.  The VFC is compatible with RS parts like stocks, sights and also trigger housings.  My A3 works fine but my MP5K the bolt keeps on breaking.  I would chose the WE for skirmishing and VFC MP5 for looks and that you can use RS parts.  

The rear sight on the WE looks weird and the magazine is fatter then the RS one as i think they copied Maruzen design.

One thing WE got right is the mag well design as WE looks more RS and the VFC looks like the TM AEG design.

Archived