Sturm

I attempted to reply to the ancient WE L85 review thread, but it was archived ):

So, yeah...I am writing this with the hopes that someone can tell me what parts of the GBBR are steel versus what parts are potmetal / aluminium.

From what I've learned, the WE L85 has a stamped steel receiver, steel trigger guard, and a steel flashhider. This is all definite information. However, I am not sure about the materials of other metal parts on the gun. Can anyone who owns the rifle tell me what the carrying handle is made from (Ehobbyasia says steel) and the folding front sight unit is made of?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to go with the L85, do not, whatever you do, get the steel bolt from RA-Tech.

Yeah, I've heard it had a tendency of destroying the recoil spring guide rod thing. That is likely why it is discontinued and basically impossible to get.

Was this a problem of RA Tech's steel being too hard, and eating away at the guide rod, or that RA Tech made a product with *suitcasey* tolerances?

The whole spring guide design was flimsy to begin with, even the steel spring guide.

the issue is that the spring guides were not kept in alignment on both ends, so as the bolt cycles the spring guide twists at the back of the receiver, causing the guide rods to "stick" to the bolt carrier.

Added with the steel bolt, the cycling rate would be slow, too slow to overcome the friction of a twisting guide rod. 

The L85 had more problems, like ejection port cover falling off, bolt catch falling off, etc.  Not a happy rifle.

• 8 months later...

Archived