Lightweight Magnified Optics

TheFull9

Being that I mostly play indoors, I'll have either a tiny little T-1 style optic or just use built-in BUIS if the gun has them.  By comparison, the replica ACOGs and Spectre I have weight a *suitcase* ton.

Anyone out there got a replica 4x ACOG and something like a Visionking short dot to compare weight?

I have owned a King Arms ACOG many moons ago and I think that weighed in at 450-500g.

I have never come in contact with a Vision King before but a lot of folks on the TM recoil FB page think it's the bee's knees.

http://www.davescustomairsoft.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=409

I think they weigh in at the same level.

For a slightly more decadent option, I've been most impressed with the value end of the Leupold range.

The 1.5-4x (from their Mark AR range) can be had for less the USD 380 and comes in at sub 300g.

Alternatively, second hand ACOG's and other Trijicon gems can be found on eBay from Beechwood Sports.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Beechwood-Equipment-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

There's a 1.25-4x scope on their now going for £350.

I've bought 3 optics from them before and they were all in mint condition, most of it is ex display gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is an optic thread i know its not the point but the direct opposite since the real one is stupid heavy does anyone make a magnified replica Susat (the one for the SLR)

as for lightweight optics what about the hawke range of air gun scopes my red dot by them is pretty light and was dirt cheap. The other option is some of the primary arms stuff some of theirs have really nice reticules as well though a bit overkill for airsoft

Since this is an optic thread i know its not the point but the direct opposite since the real one is stupid heavy does anyone make a magnified replica Susat (the one for the SLR)

as for lightweight optics what about the hawke range of air gun scopes my red dot by them is pretty light and was dirt cheap. The other option is some of the primary arms stuff some of theirs have really nice reticules as well though a bit overkill for airsoft

The SLR magnified optic was the 'SUIT', never seen a replica of any kind.

I've got plenty of light red dots already, couple of Primary Arms, an Aimpoint etc.  Probably going to have to check out some of the variable power ones from different brands like PA and Vortex next.

What about a flip to side magnifier with a quick release mount? On and off when needed.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs :)

Unfortunately the all-up weight ends up being at least as much if not quite a bit more than an ACOG in my experience, especially with replica stuff.

Anything magnified will be of at least comparable weight to a replica 4x acog due to the amount of glass needed to magnify the image

That was my probable guess before I posted but I figured I'd ask in case someone knew about something I didn't.

You'll have to add the weight of scope rings when you choose a 1-n power tube scope.

To make things worse, most of them are long eye-relief so you'll be adding more weight for the offset scope mount if you're going to use on a AR type rifle, you don't want to mount/bridge that with then railed handguard I guess.

IMO in the weight department, you can't beat prism optics with integrated mount, though they have fixed magnifications, they usually have great sight picture, quality-wise.

I had a Vision King and got rid of it for a Vector Optics Arbiter 1-4x24 Short dot as the picture is a lot crisper and it has that 1x mag which means I can run it inside without much hinderance.

In my opinion it's a much better optic for around the same money. I'll weigh that ASAP for you and get back. It was slightly lighter than the VK from what I remember so might be an option for you. I've got it on my light weight DMR and don't notice might difference between the MRO that I swap it around with.

do you not get issues in the sight pic when its on 1X seeing an interview with Mr L.Vickers describing the evolution of the shortdot after somalia that having natural 1x the long thin tube body caused issues hence the 1.25x ?

I've used a Primary Arms and a Leapers short dot style scope and had no issues running on 1x with both eyes open like a regular red dot.

cool I'd prefer a staight 1x as the slight magnification throws me off a little when shooting with both eyes open, but as it came from Mr Vickers i thought it would be good to go.

Strange, I'm the other way around, my 1.25-4x scope and 1.5x prism works really well, slightly magnified image showing on my dominant eye while peripheral vision is done by the other eye.

When I hold my 1x prism sight on hand, it's perfect like looking through a toilet roll, while on my rifle image(s) from my both eyes not always align(?), which sometimes confuses me.

All 3 sights above are from reputable manufacturer so I believe this is more like a software(?) problem.

I had a Vision King and got rid of it for a Vector Optics Arbiter 1-4x24 Short dot as the picture is a lot crisper and it has that 1x mag which means I can run it inside without much hinderance.

In my opinion it's a much better optic for around the same money. I'll weigh that ASAP for you and get back. It was slightly lighter than the VK from what I remember so might be an option for you. I've got it on my light weight DMR and don't notice might difference between the MRO that I swap it around with.

I know the sight you're talking about and it is indeed a better sight for close in work than the visionking, but it's not 'around the same money'.

The VK can be had for £52 shipped from China, the VO is £100 shipped from China.

From UK suppliers, the VK is £65 shipped, the VO is £140!

It's a great sight, don't get me wrong, but it's literally twice the price.

Hmm... I don't remember paying £140 for mine, I think it was around £100 UK Based.. I also seem to remember paying £85 ish for my Vision King again UK based.. I sold it the other month for £50. I guess I got a good return if they're cheaper nowadays! 

Either way, even with the doubled price tag I would say it's totally worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

The SLR magnified optic was the 'SUIT', never seen a replica of any kind.

I've got plenty of light red dots already, couple of Primary Arms, an Aimpoint etc.

Sorry its me having a brainfart moment my other question then if you are replicating a late 80's/early 90's RAF load out during the changeover to the sa80 and shortly after where the SLR was being used for certain duties. (helping the boy with a replica of his dad's kit when he was in) would a SUSAT be reasonable on an SLR and are there any good airsoft ones. If there's something that would make more sense to put on I'm all ears, apparently he was given a scoped SLR on occasion mainly doing air base defense type exercises, guard duties and checkpoints.

Iv heard good reports on the primary arms low mag scopes and even their variables seem fairly highly rated with nice reticules and reasonably light weight. Same with vortex.

Hawke do a range of scopes that are air rifle and .22rimfire cheap budget scooped there's a variable scope or two in their catalog and they seemed light enough when i looked at them. (was debating whether to get a pistol scope for the boy's and my dan wesson 4inch revolver.)

Hope this quote works not sure how to multiquote, The 3D printing of a SUIT is an awesome idea what are you going to use for the internals? I'm surprised that ARES haven't had a SUIT made for their new L1A1 to be honest i believe they did a c8 package with issue scope clone ages back?

Archived