Getting a blowback rifle for first gun

perunanuija

For your stated preferences, I would recommend the WE 416C GBBR. With the target 500€ you could probably buy the gun, 5 or 6 extra mags, and perhaps even some accuracy upgrades, like Maple Leaf inner barrel and Maple Leaf Autobot bucking for outstanding accuracy and range. 

593e5fe100bbe73f9edf66e60838145e.jpg

Is it in stock anywhere?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it in stock anywhere?

yup, is fairly common. Just search by "WE 888C", as that's the actual name. Trademarks issues I guess.

I found the VFC 416 D short barrel version for 340 euros. I think I'm getting that one as it's the model I want the most. Plans might change though.

Beware, pre-2016 VFC GBBRs are plagued with issues, I wouldn't consider them skirmishable at all.

Beware, pre-2016 VFC GBBRs are plagued with issues, I wouldn't consider them skirmishable at all.

Yeah that looks to be the case. Running an AEG seems much more plausible for games.

If there is a GBB that can be modded with the right parts so it runs well then that's what I'll get. WE has a 416 but it has the longer barrel, and I wanted the 10 inch barrel version. Can't do much about I guess.

If there is a GBB that can be modded with the right parts so it runs well then that's what I'll get

Seriously, if you prefer a GBBR, just go with WE 888C. It's short. Really short. It far more reliable than older VFC's, cheaper, kicks like a mule and shoots great just out of the box. 

If there is a GBB that can be modded with the right parts so it runs well then that's what I'll get. WE has a 416 but it has the longer barrel, and I wanted the 10 inch barrel version. Can't do much about I guess.

WE 888 comes with a 2 piece barrel like their M4s. Unscrew the extension, replace the flash hide, cut the inner barrel shorter (or buy a new one) and you have a 10.5" carbine.

One thing with GBBRs here in Finland. Remember, their performance is -very- heavily connected to ambient temperature. You are effectively cutting couple+ months from your outdoor gaming by insisting on gas. Not that it's much fun to run and crouch in the slush that is Spring and Autumn here, either...

GBBR as a first gun is definitely jumping in at the deep end... a GBBR first gun which is also a VFC is practically free diving in shark infested waters as a way to learn how to swim... 

Since you are in Finland, if you're uncompromising on the GBBR first gun idea, then I would recommend the GHK M4 (for ultimate cooldown performance, especially paired with the Devilhunter CO2 mod, or just use Guarder powerup gas), or the TM M4 with green gas mag mod for decent cooldown performance, but best out of the box accuracy / range / consistency. WEs are decent if the weather is better, their mags, while only holding 30, are also significantly (and realistically) lighter than GHK or TM's mags. 

If you are also considering AEG and really like the 416s, then there's a middle ground of TM next-gen 416s (416c / 416 with different furniture and colours), they are AEGs which have a simulated recoil sensation, but more importantly stops firing when empty, with the need to reactivate the gun by hitting the bolt catch. 

I really like the looks of Tokyo Marui rifles. They are expensive yes, but the simulated recoil and firing system makes them very appealing, and they have realistic markings also. Most importantly you can shorten the barrel on the 416D and it comes with a charger and battery apparently. Gotta scrounge that 550+ euros from somewhere though  :fear2:

Haven't heard from the field I contacted about going over there and renting stuff for a couple of people.

I would always suggest starting airsoft with a reliable AEG, it just makes the game a lot more accessable. If you want to get into teching GBBs why not start with a GBB pistol? If it goes wrong your game won't be ruined and you get to tinker with something mechnical. If you want to make your play a bit more realistic, try sticking to semi-auto, not being a full auto spammer is a reward all of its own anyway.

I would always suggest starting airsoft with a reliable AEG, it just makes the game a lot more accessable. If you want to get into teching GBBs why not start with a GBB pistol? If it goes wrong your game won't be ruined and you get to tinker with something mechnical. If you want to make your play a bit more realistic, try sticking to semi-auto, not being a full auto spammer is a reward all of its own anyway.

Oh but I've seen too many movies  :)

Full auto is the way to go. Well not necessarily. 

As a rule of thumb alway by another battery. than the ones in the box

they are usually ###### and not worth charging.

Don't know the type TM is using theese days but still.

Personally I would go with eighter WE 888C or VFC HK416 due to magazine.

TMs are expensive, only holds 30rd and are setup to use MI-NH.

WE and VFC use common avaible mags which is cheaper and probably most other gamers use them.

7,4V Li-po or 11,1V if your gun is up for it gives a better trigger response.

Consider having some sort of mosfet put into it.

TM doesn't usually come with batteries, and next-gen guns require special type batteries that aren't very good. Most people re-wire their guns to take lipo, but in any case, if you're going to want an AEG with an interest in how GBB works, as a first gun, just get a next-gen 416. It might sound expensive but GBBR are about the same price even if the gun was cheap, to be playing in games you need enough mags, which can be anywhere from 40-60 euro a pop. 

If it is the recoil that got you so hung up on TM

find a few videos on Youtube or Redwolk or Evike to check it out.

In my mind it is a mimich at best. It is nowhere in the proximity of a GBBR and is basicly

just more parts to fail on you along the way.

It would be a shame to pay that much more for it and than be disappointed

Found a stylish AEG (another model I like):

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=16989

Anyone know anything about this manufacturer or this specific gun? It's relatively cheap so might be a good starter gun.

I'm all for GBB pistols, I just have to find a model I like for a good price.

Notice that that particular model has to house the battery in a PEQ box, rather than internally (in the stock or in the receiver [AKs], depending).  That's something else to consider.

Notice that that particular model has to house the battery in a PEQ box, rather than internally (in the stock or in the receiver [AKs], depending).  That's something else to consider.

Yeah I noticed. It sort of ruins it for me. Gotta keep looking. I'm considering buying a GBB pistol to fiddle around with and plink in the backyard.

Gotta find a field that has rentals available.

Marui EBBs are great, though it requires upgrades and mods (hence a capable gunsmith) before it will be comparable to most mid-range AEGs out of the box.   Hard part is knowing when you have over/under-upgraded.  A lot of people run MOSFETs only to have water or static ruin them in the field.  One would never upgrade just the piston, must upgrade the gears to go with it. 

Most of the comments here are correct, GBBRs are not beginner weapons.  However they ARE mechanically simpler than AEGs and easier to understand and service by a non-tech.  However VFC, while they do make fantastic replicas and toys, is not a brand you want to field as a beginner.    Only GBBRs I would recommend is the GHK M4 and G5, even then they have leaky valve issues (design problems).  Most WEs are good, though only a few are superb and nearly all require mods/tune ups to function in the cold.   

Its a question of what you want, realism vs practicality.  If you are a collector/plinker, you don't need practicality.  If you want skirmish practicality you don't need realism.  If you aim to play mil-sim or real-sim then you will need both, and that's difficult to attain, particularly in colder climates.

I would recommend AEGs for starters.  Something with an internally mounted battery (not a PEQ/battery box), between 10"-16" barrel length, around 350fps and fits 556 mag pouches. 

Gotta be honest now. I scratched the whole skirmishing issue for now, since my main project now is assembling a cosplay attire for a convention in 5 months time. I'll be buying the bulk of the stuff for this thing since it's my idea, so I'm getting AEGs without batteries, some spare magazines, a new suit and shoes, masks (from a video game), condor crossdraw vests and spring-loaded pistols to make the costumes are complete.

Originally I wanted a HK 416 GBBR to tinker around with and possibly upgrade, but now that my plans have changed, I'll be saving up money for relatively cheap stuff that looks at least somewhat authentic and will have re-sale value after the convention is over. I'm looking at G&G carbines (criminals need CQB weapons :)) and magazines plus the condor crossdraw vests in black for starters. If someone has this stuff for sale, let me know.

Hey Dude!! GBBrs are the coolest airsoft devices ever IMO!! You NEED one!! The WE g36 series are really cheap and work great OOTB and are ideal for beginners as they are really easy to run and maintain they also perform really well in the cold and are as cheap as a good pistol.

Yeah I'd love to buy a GBBR but for now I'm looking for realistic-looking assault rifle replicas and magazines for them. I could buy a couple of spring-loaded guns but it seems they are mostly made from plastic. Not a good-looking solution for cosplay. Probably will have to compromise with something.

Archived