1911 hammer hitting slide

Mike Obrien

On an elite force 1911 I have right out of the box the hammer when cocked will impact on the rear of the slide behind the blowback unit. Now the slide almost seems designed this way, and this I have found also on my WE 1911s so I was wondering is it okay to remove this lump so the slide has a smoother action or does the interference serve a purpose such as slowing the slide down enough to reduce stress of impact?

Common fault with poorly fitted 1911s. The sear surface on the hammer and the sear itself do not align properly meaning that when cocked the hammer sits slightly higher than it's supposed to. I imagine it's also rubbing the hammer against the cylinder when it's cycling, which is really bad news for an airsoft pistol.

You really don't want to shave down the slide, as the hammer will still damage the nozzle. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace the hammer and sear with properly manufactured ones that will hold the hammer in the right position when cocked.

Either that or send it back, but I doubt an airsoft shop will take a return on a misaligned sear.

You could take a bevel out of the tip of the hammer where it is getting caught, I've done that for some of my FA 1911s but it really isn't the right solution as you still are risking the cylinder.

Well then should I just shave down the part of the hammer impacting the slide/cylinder?

You could take a bevel out of the tip of the hammer where it is getting caught,

Just be careful how much material you take away from the hammer, you don't want to end up where it doesn't catch against the sear.

alright so I filed down the hammer and now it isn't contacting the slide anymore when cocked which is good, but I have another issue altogether. Haven't taken it apart to see if I messed up on reassembly but when I test fired it every two or three shots the gun would fail to fire and I would have to cock it and reset the hammer that hits the valve. the valve knock tilts up to allow magazines to seat when it is not cocked, and it seems as though on some fire attempts instead of the valve knock depressing the valve it just goes upwards and moves out of the way. Any idea what would cause this?

Archived