The Umarex Mini Uzi is a new generation

So, this is a first impression of a 2nd hand Umarex branded KWC Mini Uzi. Kinda bid on one on eBay and ended up winning, so I got it, working and in actually good condition, for a cool hundo.

So, I had bookmarked the aftermarket parts, but I won't need them (except for the metal body) since this is another revision and the bolt is different again.

This one uses a single recoil spring and a metal buffer pin. The whole rear of the receiver is metal (where the stock mounts to the receiver, not sure if it's metal on other models). The recoil spring and guide rod are captive and set into the bolt carrier like on Kwa M11A1s.

The cylinder is similar to GBBRs now with the outer cylinder and the o'ring on the rear outside of the nozzle. The bolt carrier is clamshell and has the sear catch points molded in with it. So if the catch points wear you need to replace half the bolt carrier. The clamshell is held together with 2 bolts (loctite them, mine has a missing bolt and the other is loose)

I'll post pics later cause I'm on my phone. Maybe I'll upload a takedown video.

I have to contact Umarex and see if I can get a couple parts.

a couple pics

IMG_20170330_231351_zpsyphg0ai6.jpg

It does look like there is something that's supposed to seat into the side of the bolt carrier here, but i cant find an explosion diagram to confirm.

IMG_20170330_231401_zpsrmj0v153.jpg

that's the buffer, the spring is very strong

IMG_20170330_231406_zpshcjm1nzp.jpg

IMG_20170330_231414_zpsclbkzzrd.jpg

IMG_20170330_231426_zpsruanmkoh.jpg

i'm going to try making a takedown video tomorrow.

Edited by Horsem4n

It does look like there is something that's supposed to seat into the side of the bolt carrier here, but i cant find an explosion diagram to confirm.

That would be the striker. The older model was closed bolt and had a separate striker. Not very efficient with gas as the bolt had to effectively push against two springs. KWC's solution was to simply change it to open bolt which does away with the striker and its spring though the bolt remained the same.

• Like 2

The advantages of the older closed bolt striker system is accuracy and power. 

I could never get the newer open bolt system to give desirable accuracy or power for field use.  Mind you, it depends if you see UZIs as a <35m gun or >35m gun.  I use it as a backpack PDW, so long ranges are desirable.

But yeah, congrats on procuring one of the rare much disregarded gems of the GBB world :)

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Yeah, you've got the massive bolt moving forward that makes the gun jump up a bit before letting a round off. I don't plan to use it for long ranges. And if I do have to shoot at someone over 150 feet away, they are getting a burst of full auto.

I kinda like the hop up design. Basically already flat hopped. The dude broke the original adjuster though and replaced it with the back end of a bic pen cap. It does work so it's kinda cool.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

IDK, i can see that the V2 uzis have the same bolt as mine now, but i distinctly remember 3 generations. the first being closed bolt, the 2nd being open bolt but still with the striker plate and 2 recoil springs, and a normal GBB pistol cylinder, and this as the 3rd generation with the singular recoil spring and the loading nozzle riding inside the cylinder.

am i mistaken? 

• 1 month later...

I bought one off of Moihobby.com

It took a month and a half to get a tracking number, but then it arrived 3 days later.

Shipping was super reasonable and other people said the shop was ok.

I assume they had to special order it.

I personally hate the design. You can't remove the hopup unit without risking damage to the feed ramps. But it otherwise feels very nice.

Edited by Horsem4n
  • 2 weeks later...

IDK, i can see that the V2 uzis have the same bolt as mine now, but i distinctly remember 3 generations. the first being closed bolt, the 2nd being open bolt but still with the striker plate and 2 recoil springs, and a normal GBB pistol cylinder, and this as the 3rd generation with the singular recoil spring and the loading nozzle riding inside the cylinder.

am i mistaken? 

I think you are, I recently got the V2/2011 Mini UZI and the internals are identical to the ones shown in photos on the Guarder website which have been there virtually since the 2011 version came out, said photos are on the following page which hasn't changed in years,

http://www.intrudershop.com/show_product_eng.asp?idproduct=1758#top

I'm still undecided on which version I like more, I've yet to really play around with the 2011 version and try to get the power down, I suspect that'll be the winner though since spare mags are still available and internally there does seem to be less likely failure points.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...