ASCU Opinions?

AG1212

I'm looking for a good Mosfet with microswitch trigger. Seeing as the BTC Mosfets are never in stock, was considering the ASCU gen4.

I've seen some people have issues, and many seem to say the hop unit is garbage?

What's Arnies' consensus on the ASCU?

Thanks.

^This.

I installed one yesterday in my first G&P M4. Seven year old machine, fatigued shell, original internals save the trigger spring (60K semi shots had a toll on that) and a MOSFET with brake. I did a full adjustment job after the purchase, but that's it. The gun has to have 80-90K shots under its belt. The piston (original!) was in excellent shape. Mind you, neither the piston nor the spring guide had bearings of any kind. The original 375fps spring was cut for 340fps and it was riding on a simple washer on the guide.

I decided to rebuild it because I was having feeding problems, and it wasn't the mags (seven year old PMAGs, still rocking). I guessed the tappet wasn't riding free anymore due to lack of lubricant and general maintenance.
I installed SHS 13:1 gears, a light 14-teeth full metal rack piston, alu piston head with bearings, viton o-ring and a double o-ring alu cylinder head. I also put in a guide with bearings. Everything went inside a new v2 Lonex shell, since the original one had some little cracks all around stress points.
Shimming, AoE and greasing/oiling were done carefully and precisely and everything worked smoothly.
I used a Tornado torque motor with the end bell of the tired G&P M120, to keep using the screws in the motor contacts.

I tried the resurrected build with a regular Jefftron MOSFET with brake soldered to the original trigger switch, but the switch was also tired of its looooong life of semi abuse and the MOSFET couldn't really cope with the 13:1 ratio gears, so TITAN time!

This kind of build really benefits from a control unit such as the TITAN. No trigger contacts anymore, clean buffer tube with just two cables inside, a myriad of adjustments. Total control over the trigger response, RoF, fire modes and more than ready for quality builds. This thing is now scary on a 7.4v 2000mAh battery! I haven't tried a 11.1v and I really don't see the point for it. RoF is already lowered to 70-80% with the 7.4v :D

Absolutely recommended.

I have two ASCUs, one Gen 3+ and one Gen 4.

They don't like 7.4v lipos. Consistently won't work.

This means that I've had to downgrade setups to work around them - for example my standard build is optimised for a 7.4v lipo:

Lightened piston, M100-110 spring with a 16tpa motor and 12:1 gears, which on a 7.4v lipo will give me about 30rps. On an 11.1v that jumps to 42rps, which will shred the piston with PME.

In my CQB AR15 set up with an ASCU, I've had to drop back to standard 18:1 gears as I MUST use an 11.1v of the ASCU goes wonky.

Completely outdated now that the Gate Titan is out.

Wanted to follow up on this; one of the reasons is not just the features, but the pricing. The Titan more or less retails at the same price as the ASCU unit, which means there's no reason to pick the ASCU unit anymore.

110 pounds for the Titan, 80 pounds for ASCU gen4, or 130 euro versus 95 euro... 

For anyone trying to decide, from what I've read the BTC mosfets have the most features for the best price point, if you can find them. The ASCU has some of the same features but seem fairly bad Q&C wise and very temperamental. The Gate Titan hasn't been out long for long-term issues to pop-up, but seems very solid and very well thought out, and is only missing a stops-on-empty function.

Archived