GHK G5 GBBR what are your thoughts and first hand experiences?

Marc.RG1

HI all :)

As the title says really, what are your thoughts and first hand experiences with the GHK G5 Carbine GBBR?

Some of you might know, I was saving up for a WE scar H GBBR but because of the new power limit laws of no full auto capable gun can not be capable of exceeding 1.3j or roughly 370fps with a 0.20g BB this throws a huge spanner in the works for most airsoft GBBR's on the market. Don't want to go in too much detail on these power limits because although the power limit laws have been set the guidelines etc have not..

Anyways one rifle that clearly seems to shot way under these limits right out the box is the GHK G5 carbine GBBR, although it's not something that caught my eye or thoughts at first being all polymer nylon plastic and very lightweight, I've been watching some videos and apart from being plastic and lightweight it don't look too bad, has spares and changeable parts with seem easy to get hold of, and good enough average fps of 290-330 which will have not issues with the power limit laws. So yeah although not totally my cup of tea, it might seen like a good option..

But I can't help and think lol,, £265 for that or £275 for a WE scar L or £340 ish for a WE scar H GBBR, to me the scars are so much nicer looking and no doubt feeling, but it's this whole power limit thing, I don't want to buy one then have to give it up..

What's your thoughts? As always I'm grateful to hear them and get your opinions..

ATB, Marc.

WE do make lower powered nozzles and flute valve assemblies, if you can find a decent retailer in the UK or overseas who can guarantee you that they have a lower powered nozzle in it that should be ok.

The other option is seeing if you can get the SCAR and lock it to semi only.

That being said, in my experience the GHK G5 is very light and snappy, though it's hop up unit isn't the best and recoil is pretty meh - it has a lot of apparent kick because the gun is so light, but once you start putting more mass on the gun in terms of accessories etc it starts becoming less impressive. The SCAR-H has a much higher bolt mass and ###### all over the G5 in terms of recoil.

However, the G5 has amazing gas efficiency, in part because of the low bolt mass, in part because the GHK magazine design is second-to-none. The downside is that the magazines are expensive.

You can also get replacement hop-up units now for the G5 which use the TM GBB style hop-up rubbers and barrels which are FAR superior to the AEG style ones in the stock G5. The WE uses a hop/barrel combo which is externally spec to the TM GBB system but has a semi-R-hopped design to it which is proprietary.

Long story short, the WE can take a TM GBB barrel and hop up rubber but the WE barrel and WE hop up rubber only work with each other. If you replace one, you must replace the other.

The G5 is also all plastic on the outside and it's very apparent. Personally I hate the lack of a bolt catch but eh, that's just me.

Darklite's spot on imo - I have a G5 and adore it. Fantastic winter gun, and the all-plastic construction isn't really a downside for me as it helps to counteract the heavy magazines. Also means that the centre-of-mass is roughly in the centre as well, so fairly comfortable to carry/shoulder.

Something to consider if you're worried about the FPS limits - You can take the full-auto sear out of the G5, and stick a semi-only sear in. This means that the RIF is then subject to semi-only rules, which iirc sets the limit at 2.5J. Should be able to do this for the SCAR as well!

Kind regards

E: just saw that Darklite recommended semi-auto already, derp.

Personally I find the G5 being comically light. Great if you plan on sticking a whole bunch of stuff on it, but on its own the balance just throws me off especially whenever you need to remove the mag which is 1/3 it's weight. I'd say if you really want the SCAR H, get the SCAR H. Changing the fps to suit your needs is a trivial task on most GBBRs.

HI all thank you very much for your opinions and helpful replies..

I'll not be skimming with either of the rifles I get it will be used at a firearms club in the airgun/airsoft range just for a bit of fun shooting and plinking etc, of course maybe a bit of back garden shooting too..

See I know the fps of guns can be lowered by molding or by fitting new nozzles or npas to name some, but the problem with that is the new! UK power limit laws, I don't want to go into to much detail on that if probably been done to death already lol but the power limit laws have been set but the guidelines have not, with the lack of new guidelines we don't even know if parts like the npas kits etc will now meet the guidelines because it's a mod and the law states the gun Is not allowed to be capable or exceeding the joule limit so if a gun was firing hot before npas fitted if it was then removed from the gun is would be firing hot and therfore a section 5 firearms. But with no guidelines nearly every rifle is blooming capable of firing over the power limit, just put red or black gas in most rifles in the summer and that's those over limit, it's a joke. Lol OK rant over, back on track..

The scar h, (if under the lower limit out the box) and the GHK G5 are the only real options I'm looking at, don't really want a true M4 I fire a few 22lr M4's at gun club so don't want an airsoft version.

Most GHK g5's I've seen though out the box seen to fire around 300-330 fps which is good..

Most videos I've seen apart from the few little factors there seem to get nothing but good reviews, just not many out there, in the video batmause kindly link, the guys says the receiver can break with strong gas in the hot weather but did not state what gad, green, red, black co2.. I've I get one though I'll only be using it on green gas..

Still can't get the scar h out my head to be honest, but they have many more videos and people saying bad points and stuff that breaks compared to the G5..

Shame there's no cheap G5 rifles going, seem some on zeroing but not paying £230-£400 used when can get a new one for £265

If I do get the G5 I have just a few plans for it, better/ more comfortable grip, mock suppressor, check rest and a sight but that's maybe it for the time. The hop and barrel get many mixed reviews some say it's great out the box some say it's not and change it, so I guess it might differ a lot from peoples perspective and gun so I would just have to test one and see..

Apart from the 2 people that kindly replied in this topic and one video I've seen all the rest I've not heard of the new gen receivers breaking, so I'm guessing that's quite rare anyway unless using very strong gas in really hot weather or unless you get a duff moulding on a receiver, thinking about it though I would probably also get the recoil speed buffer for it anyways..

But I can't get the weight out if my head, as I fire many real steel rifles I don't want to buy it then be put off by the all plastic and ultra light feel,, buy saying that I thought the same thing ages ago before buying TM pistols, but my mind was soon changed when I got them.. I guess the best thing to would be go hold one before buying it, I've held the WE scar h, and did love how that felt. So yeah I'll try going and hold the G5 and that will help me make my mind up.. Another good think about the G5 is spares ate cheap and easy to get even from the UK, unlike quite a lot of the WE scar h parts..

Im only ever going to want 1 airsoft gbbr rifle so I want to make the right choice for myself. I'm just limited on what I can choose really because of either power and the shady laws or because of the style not many float my boat to be honest lol..

Thanks again all, it's always good to your help and opinions :)

Sorry if there's any typos I'm using my rubbish phone to reply..

Happy shooting all.

ATB, Marc..

Pretty reliable, extremely efficient, decent to low kick, extremely low weight (can be a pro or con) hop is... quite bad to be honest, just like anything GHK. 

For your intended purpose, I would suggest the Tokyo Marui M4 GBB, Although it's somewhat more expensive. 

Pretty reliable, extremely efficient, decent to low kick, extremely low weight (can be a pro or con) hop is... quite bad to be honest, just like anything GHK. 

For your intended purpose, I would suggest the Tokyo Marui M4 GBB, Although it's somewhat more expensive.

Hi mate, that's for your reply, yeah as I've said I don't want a M4 as I shoot enough 22lr real steel ones at gun club I want something different, plus it's well out of my price range lol, I don't think my nephew even paid £540 for his colt m4 22lr.

ATB, Marc

G5

Yes the lower COULD break by using normal Green Gas in hot weather, but in most cases the receivers are from very first or 2 batches, I believe mine was 2nd batch but it didn't break yet, for the record, I use a rubber buffer and CNC alu bolt, great stuff.

Stock hop/barrel is so-so, mine is usable but not great, remember the IB is not even 2x in length compared to a Hi-Capa, and it uses AEG style hop bucking, which sucks by nature.

BTW I'm considering getting the HULK hop/barrel kit from Samoon/GBL, pricy but looks promising.

Some AR grip requires mod to fit, especially the ones with thicker web part, and you'll need longer screws.

Definitely get the cheek rest if you're planning to use AR-height optics, and I recommended using ones with bigger mounting footprint, not much but you can feel the rail flexes a little bit.

Side note: you'll want some quality gear, the mags are HEAVY.

HI all, :)

Thanks again for all your comments and help.. I think you all have helped me decide and the ghk g5 is top of my list then, I also posted this topic on zeroin, and basically it's the same all round 90% of people have the Dame thoughts that's it would be a good gbbr to get one one of the best out there for the money etc..

As its popular on the forums I'm a tad surprised there's not more stuff kicking about of YouTube or should I say more of a high view count on YouTube..

Anyways I'll get saving it will take me about 4 months, unless I sell a gun but don't really want to do that, but I'll try going to hold and even test fire one in a month or so. :)

ATB, Marc..

The only cases I've heard the 2nd version lowers breaking is with an RATech steel bolt running on CO2.

I think I've heard 2 or 3 cases using stock bolt on green gas, even with rubber buffer, I wonder if the users are shouldering the stock properly, if at all.

Yeah that is a good point, I would not be doing that or shooting from the hip lol.

And some things can just break anyway can't they, it's justice way things are, another good thing I like about the ghk g5 is how cheap most bits are to replace.. :)

Yeah, I think I would have a very poor opinion of any airsoft gun that needs to be shouldered to stop it from falling to bits... I just can't let that sort of low quality slide!  Mind you, with an SMG8 if he did use the stock, it probably would have shared the stops off  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.. i hope you have been keeping well.. :)

i thought i would give this thread a little update as you all have been very helpful.. Well there has been a very slight change in plans, i have just ordered a WE scar L, there was one on this forum quite cheap second hand so i thought why not go for it, it will hopefully be with me at some point next week.. 

I am still definitely going to get the GHK G5 but ill get that at christmas so the WE Scar L will see my through until then im sure and it will be a good project gun too i think, i just wanted an assault rifle right now to mess about with..

Still cant wait to get the GHK G5, roll on christmas a. :)

Happy Shooting All.

ATB, Marc..

Archived