Thoughts on the PTS Mega Arms MKM?

super64

I'm interested in picking up a PTS Mega Arms MKM GBB and wondered if anyone has used or owned one and would be willing to give their thoughts on it. I've seen a few YouTube videos and so far everything looks positive. I'm not sure why I like it, I'm more interested in military style firearms and this is designed more for the civilian market, but there is something about it that I like. Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

Most people will tell you to go GHK or TM if you want to drop some cash on an AR GBBr, from a performance and overall reliability stand point they'd have valid points, but the KWA based guns (which includes the MKM) are generally still pretty good all around.

You have to dig around more for parts and upgrades and there's way more support for the system in the US than there is in Europe so prepare for that, but the internals are made of good stuff.  If you want the specific look of that rifle go for it, only replica I know of.

Well, if you've got the cash for that many mag types, you've got all bases covered.  PTS/KWA are coming out with an even better looking/more featured AR replicating a Radian gun some time soon(ish, maybe) that'll obviously use the same magazines as the MKM.

I have one, and its a really good rifle.

The KWA System 7 mags mean that you don't have much cool down, and they work in really low temperatures. Like all GBB, it needs regular cleaning and lubrication. Main issue I have is that on cold days, a full auto run may freeze the small valve in the bolt, causing problems. Once you take the bolt out and unstick it, its fine. 

I did see a video where they used a file to stop this happening by enlarging the hole slightly, but I've left mine stock. Mags are expensive to get hold of, though now that PTS are doing the EPM you can at least find them!

Thanks Lee, I think it's now certain that I'm going to get a Mega Arms, but I think I'm edging more towards the MML Maten. There's just something about 308/7.62 rifles that I love.

No worries

The Maten does look awesome. If its anything like the MKM, then it should have a good kick. I bought mine right before I tried some modern .22 rifles, and the MKM had more kick!

Lee

I've never actually fired a .22, but obviously just looking at one shoot you can get a decent idea compared to other firearms you've shot.  The bolt velocity might be quicker on a 22LR, but if your bolt carrier in a GBB AR is steel, even in a 556 let alone 762, that is a *suitcase* ton more mass than a RS 22 BCG.  My LM4s bounce around pretty damn well in full auto.

I spent 3 days with an AR that had a comp on it and a full length railtastic handguard by a Czech company Pro-Arms, without being able to compare one next to the other, just from memory, it honestly didn't feel that it kicked any harder than a GHK on CO2 mag, I guess the comp mitigated the rear-ward force that you would otherwise get, and it really did feel like shooting my GHK back at home (but much, much louder). That's not to say the GHK doesn't kick, but that it kicks pretty dang hard for me to think it's similar to a real 5.56 firing rifle! 

I spent 3 days with an AR that had a comp on it and a full length railtastic handguard by a Czech company Pro-Arms, without being able to compare one next to the other, just from memory, it honestly didn't feel that it kicked any harder than a GHK on CO2 mag, I guess the comp mitigated the rear-ward force that you would otherwise get, and it really did feel like shooting my GHK back at home (but much, much louder). That's not to say the GHK doesn't kick, but that it kicks pretty dang hard for me to think it's similar to a real 5.56 firing rifle! 

Have shot average RS AR15 (M16). Recoil is a ton more than any airsoft GBB. That recoil comp on the one you tried must have worked really well.

Also the PTS Mega arms M4's are absolutely awesome. Probably the GBB M4 i would go for if i did that sort of thing. The buffer spring could be a tan stronger IMO, just for snappier return.

Archived