K-SMG1 project build thread

Brigg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kwa mac11 mags use square springs, so you can't really wind them. I think that issue is just down to better BBs,it's a common issue with those mags.

I've fixed the high ROF now though. I turned down the end of the buffer so the spring sits on top of it, so there's less preload on the spring. And I just took lathed it back but by bit until I got a firing rate I was happy with. I'll post another video soon.

Got some work done on it, the butt is now finished (I used it as a test for a bunch of Fortal aluminum I got), and i remade the barrel. Its now made out of 7075 aluminum and is properly threaded (With a barrel nut covering it). I also put some aesthetic mill cuts into the sides of the receiver, and dropped the fps further to 1000 RPM.

Before i finish, I want to redo the loading nozzle in 7075 since the 6061 its made of now seems to deform very quickly if it hits the mag follower.

GL71EmUl.jpg

OaQhznll.jpg

srTMzYxl.jpg

That last picture shows my solution for fixing the broken full auto. The normal WE system would usually have a small bar to link the auto disconnector to a tab in the front, so that a shorter bolt could trip it. I found that this system was increibly fragile and prone to easy breakage.

My solution was what I call the "Auto Saddle". It sits across the whole fcg practically, and is tripped further back on the left side instead of the right. So far this seems to work very well and shows only fitment wear even after over 1000 test shots on full auto.

Ok,  that start's looking at a machine pistol, good job   :) .

I like the stock, i cant see if you milled a detail at the back, but i advise you to Google Troy PDW stock 

The barrel is better this way, but why you dind't made him out of steel ?

And i think some nice flashider could be great to.

Now stil some wooden grips remaining :D  

• 2 weeks later...

SO, bit of an update. Aside from the fps, I think everything is more or less finished.

Katotaka's suggestion of cutting one of the hammer spring legs off worked really good, and between that and some redesign of the buffer I was able to get the FPS down to 1000RPM, which I think is a good rate of fire for an smg like this. The FPS though is a bit low, shooting at around 270-285 fps. Id like to get it up to 300 fps but its proven tricky. I might have to increase the exit hole on the nozzle somewhat. But in either case its still usuable in a game even if the fps is on the low side, since it still has the high rate of fire and surprisingly few problems with jamming using good BBs (The .25 Bio's still hang the magazine up).

So, With all of the internal stuff done I went ahead and painted the externals. I was originally going to go with black but I had a can of dark parkerizing grey alumahyde sitting around, so I used that. its basically the color of later AR15s where they were a darker grey. Since its not black I think I might stick with using an AR pistol grip, I found one in my big box of AR grips thats shorter then a standard one by a quarter inch or so and Im liking the look.

once the paint is cured enough to loosely assembe it without taking all the paint off Ill take a picture. maybe sometime later today. the parts have all been curing for 24 hours now, though ful cure takes 2 weeks. theres no way that I will have the patience to wait that long. hah.

• 1 month later...

So, a very belated update. I did continue working on this and its current form is essentially complete barring some very minor aesthetics like buttons and small bits like that.

i had started working on a semi auto aps shotgun but since ive hit a roadblock there, im going to finish whats left on this, and then see if the situation changes for the shotgun by that point. if not i might start a new smg or rifle.

so, the velocity was fixed, and it now shoots reliably around 300 fps, the firing rate is about 1000rpm, and it even has some paint that i immediately destroyed by continuing to work on the gun.

overall, aside from very minor fit and finish, this gun is ready for primetime.

heres some video of it as it works currently:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so, i think i should make a new thread for this since its technically a different build. but, i made a matching "grenade launcher" for the Ksmg1, which now has the moniker of "Ferret". i designed and built it over the course of about a week and a half while i was sick and bored of laying in bed.

i call it a grenade launcher but its really a shotgun that fires aps shells. but hey, whatever. it slides right onto the receiver of the smg on a 3/8" dovetail, only requiring one screw to be removed to get the front sight out of the way.  so it can be added and detached very easily.

ill try to take some video and post its own thread soon, but for now heres some pictures.

oh and yes, it fires using a big red button. I was very inspired by old arcade games like operation wolf and terminator 2 when i drew up the design.

WFc8csNl.jpg

ZEz4Ktwl.jpg

EbyJHi6l.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of a small change now. Since I built the second updated version, I decided to go back to my original idea of having wooden furniture on the first one.

So, I did up a relatively quick, thompson-ish wooden pistol grip for it. I might also add a wooden foregrip.

JQz44jml.jpg

One other small change. I originally intended to have an HK style bolt catch on the charging handle. But then I didn't add it because I was more concerned with making the thing work.

Now I've added it though, so it now has the HK slap function. I think I'll only put that on the original though. The rail might prevent it on the newer one.

Ig5Magll.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived