Screw size

I've ingeniously stripped the head of one of the two little screws holding in the plate at the butt end of the gearbox on my G&G F2000. I've got screw extractors on the way from eBay, but it'll need replacing obviously, and I'm not a screw expert (depending on who you ask).

It's (its twin is) a 1cm long screw that's about 2mm in diameter to the outside edge of the threads. Not pointy or steeply-threaded like a wood screw, obviously. What do I ask for or search the Internoffle for to find a replacement? Any advice on how to source a more robust one would also be nice.

Try a thread pitch app. No idea how good they are, but I've seen them :)

Also, look for said screw from a fixing/fastening supplier as opposed to a bag of 1 billion for 3 pence off ebay. It's more likely to last. But then may also strip the crappy zinc gearbox...

If the diameter of the threaded portion is 2mm or just shy of that then it's likely to be a regular M2x10 machine screw.

Assuming it's a countersunk head then something like this might be what you're after,

http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/m2-socket-countersunk-screws---high-tensile-109-12232-p.asp

Go with high tensile whenever you can (imo) or A2/A4 stainless if corrosion is a concern, try to avoid BZP which many cheap(er) screws are.

EDIT : Also a tip to avoid wrecking hex head screws in the future is get a set of Wera Hex-Plus hex keys, the profile is a cross between a hex and torx and grips rubbish (and good) screws far better than regular hex keys reducing slipping and thus reducing the use of profanities.

I will second any tool by wera.

I have 2 sets of their screwdrivers which have been quite happy being hammered to *fruitcage* for the last 20 years. The only way they go wrong is when someone pinches them...

I also have hexdriver and diamond bit set. See above for reference :)

Archived