Baofeng UV5R

I bought one of these recently and its been programmed for use.  However, I have an issue with the Ztac PTT (Kenwood pins) that came with the replica headset.  When pressing on the PTT nothing happens, it doesn't transmit.  I have tried a fist mike and it transmits fine.

Obviously the headset is on with fresh batteries, but the radio isn't lighting up when the PTT is being pressed.

Anyone have any ideas before I send it back?

Cheers.

Many airsoft PTTs are faulty. Z-tac has a Silynx clone that works quite decently. Their U94 is rubbish and uses to fail at the connector end of the cable.

250 series radio phone from Z-tac is quite crappy too.

If you need serious comms, I'd take a look at real stuff adapted for Baofeng use. Even a simple hand speaker/mic will work wonders for your sanity.

You need to shave some plastic from the contact on the PTT, often it is a bit to wide to work with the Uv5r.

This.

The Plug looks like it's in properly but it isn't.

Took me a while to figure out when re-wiring a Silynx headset.

Nice picture,  TheEgo!  Exactly like that. No need for fancy RS PTT.

The picture is nice and it shows what it has to show.

Airsoft PTTs are still the Achilles heel of any decent comms. Radios are ok, most headsets are ok, PTTs are, in comparison, quite bad.

There's nothing fancy about RS PTTs either and they can be found for the same price as fake ones.

The picture is nice and it shows what it has to show.

Airsoft PTTs are still the Achilles heel of any decent comms. Radios are ok, most headsets are ok, PTTs are, in comparison, quite bad.

There's nothing fancy about RS PTTs either and they can be found for the same price as fake ones.

My answer was a response to an earlier answer. Of course, RS PTTs are better and are often needed if you use some headsets. But the problem was not the PTT, but rather the contact. Hence, no need for fancy PTT to solve the problem that was described. Peace out.

Seems we're ALL coming to the same conclusion, it's the 'wonderful' QC on the knock off ptt pin connection that's the problem nine times out of ten ? Another fix I've found that helps is loop the cable under the radio pouch retention strap/cover/flap/etc and have the cable come out the opposite side to the connection , think it stops the connector 'wobbling' loose .

I was about to post a similar solution, I stripped one and destroyed it before I figured I just wasn't pushing it in far enough.

When I got my replacement I shaved a notch off the ptt and (having taken the case of the radio off) angled the same surface off the plastic on the radio casing. Now it actually clicks into place nicely... Pita to get it back out again though :-p

Archived