AAC's SureFire SOCOM 556RC suppressor (full diy build !)

aac

Making this SureFire SOCOM RC suppressor , is a sub-project of my MK18mod1 project build witch you can check here

8f5PRFi.jpg

I started a new thread, since its really a project on its own. :)

1.Now i now, there are a few replica's available on the market, but imo they are not realistic enough, for example the dont have the

welds on the can, with imo, give the massive, rigid, appearance of the suppressor, i also gonna make the gen1 where i can make the

wide front welding to, also the engraved markings look to perfect, while on real pic's the markings seem's to be rolled/punched in.

2. The QD system on replica's in fact, is a nut that tightens a bushing arround the flashhider, i remember there where some owners with issues with that system in the past ?!

So i am gonna make a QD system that functions like the real Socom suppressor.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

STEP 1:

Lathed the OD , and prepared a rim for the rear dummy weld, why a dummy weld ? i wanna be able to experiment with

internals, and with a threated can, i can make another can -a Monster, or Mini for example- and switch with the QD adapter.

qMDPn8B.jpg

STEP 2:

Made the rear dummy-weld , and lathed the ID for the thread.

WFTTVlS.jpg

b5BBTUT.jpg

STEP 3:

Machined the OD of the adapter, and screwed into the can, so that he seems to be welded.

vA9Lw4r.jpg

STEP 4:

Adaper machined internaly , a slot is filed in, where the lug on the FH wil fit, to achieve anti-rotation.

Flashider fits realy tight as a glove btw !

fB7v7XZ.jpg

s1nlnDp.jpg

STEP 5:

External details on the adapters are finished, including the exentric thread, essential for the QD locking system.

BPEsAWc.jpg

JUqh9i1.jpg

STEP 6:

Pre-machined the lock nut in aluminium, the internal details are finisched here

agM2MsG.jpg

R5Jk3v2.jpg

STEP 7:

The locknut mounted onto a dummy tool, in order to be able "reaching" al sides -of the nut- on the milling machine.

But before i could start to mill, some intensive, measuring, scaling, calculating, and drawing work was necessary.

onqjCof.jpg

mDsXxkf.jpg

6TOlJsI.jpg

The locking system is now functional, and the best way to demonstrate this is with a video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Wujk6Pg2KI

STEP 8:

De latch largely made, started with some milling work, then punched in the "push" markings, and finaly did some filing work.

Whats left : Making the latch functional, making the pivot screw, and spring.

jDAiEtu.jpg

7q5RtAQ.jpg

xNnMN0p.jpg

RecBy2z.jpg

h5mMEJq.jpg

3ouVMkp.jpg

STEP 9:

Machined the pivot pin/M3 screw out of a -larger- M8 bolt.

Made the spring out of an other coil spring.

Made al the parts fitting, the latch is now installed and fuctioning, (altough some fine adjustment is still required)

dHssY78.jpg

ZqjsLMg.jpg

lKCZaGD.jpg

SXV8D21.jpg

7xEd5uF.jpg

More soon so stay tuned ! 1f609.png

This is not ment as a dig in any way but I read the title and thought "awesome someones going to show how we can make it !"

And then I clicked on the thread ! as truly epic as your suppressor is (and beleave me it is !) calling it a 'diy' build is stretching it a bit unless you've got a machine shop ! Lol but again amazing work my friend , definitely a thumbs up !

This is not ment as a dig in any way but I read the title and thought "awesome someones going to show how we can make it !"

And then I clicked on the thread ! as truly epic as your suppressor is (and beleave me it is !) calling it a 'diy' build is stretching it a bit unless you've got a machine shop ! Lol but again amazing work my friend , definitely a thumbs up !

Mmm.. maybe need to change the title to  DIM (Do it Myself) ?  :D

Er, but he made it on his own? English is not my primary language but if that doesn't fit the definition (even tho he used some advanced tooling for an average Joe) then i don't know what does. He never stated its a tutorial or a how to. Or that you can make one with a rock and some bits from your garage :D

Awsome job yet again aac!

Very nice work, as usual!

THX !

Er, but he made it on his own? English is not my primary language but if that doesn't fit the definition (even tho he used some advanced tooling for an average Joe) then i don't know what does. He never stated its a tutorial or a how to. Or that you can make one with a rock and some bits from your garage :D

Mentioning "DIY" in the title could be a bit overenthusiastic, and disapointing yes :D

Since making the SOCOM suppressor requires some metal working machines   :unsure: 

I don't follow the threads in here much. Think I have seen two of yours and always blown away by your work. So jelly of your machine equipment and attention to detail. Thumbs way up man :D

I have at least 5 projects here on Arnies you should do an update tour   :D

And thx again for your nice reactions and likes guys !   :D

btw: Right now working on a special tool to make the markings 

The term DIY implies that it's something any average joe could do when used colloquially

The term DIY implies that it's something any average joe could do when used colloquially

Wow thats crazy, totally envious of your machining ability. Is it gonna be solid core or foam filled? keep up the good work

Problably i wil make internal compartiments

STEP 10:

The markings, these are a bit of chapter on its own, and required quite some thinkwork before i could start 1f914.png 
First of al i needed to developed, and made a special dividing tool, to made me able to properly align the characters.
Then i could punch in the markings, altough i had a tool, the markings are not 100% perfect 
But i think after some fine adjusting, sandblasting, and painting the result wil be satisfying enough ?!

GrvpEYX.jpg
Kthjkfw.jpg
ZJq8NfM.jpg
GRUm0yd.jpg

More soon so stay tuned 1f609.png

STEP 11:

'Can' is now 'finaly' drilled true, and actualy start to look as a suppressor , i also prepared the endcap for the welding.

At this moment i also need to start monitoring the weight, and it seems he need to go on a diet , to achieve the 481 grams :D

817G1Y3.jpg

qkfpCUd.jpg

pCp0cK4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived