Leaking Gas Magazine Sealant?

AGuy

Hi, this could go under just handguns but felt the situation is relevant to any in-magazine gas gun.

I am having persistent pin-hole like leaks in my magazines. The magazines in discussion belong to a Digicon Straight which are not only hard to come buy, but are also intricate in their internals unlike most other gbb magazines. I have done the usual overhaul, loctite, grease, replace o-rings, etc; but the age of the magazine is what's doing it in and chips and scratches over the years have created a constant quiet hiss to develop in the corners where pieces meet.

I think the best solution would be to place some sealant or caulking around the corners of the internals. Does anyone have any experience or advice on what type of caulking or sealant could be used? Maybe some tire 'slime'? If something could be applied via a long straw like WD-40 that would be best so I could assemble most of everything and get it into the corners.

Thanks!

Best to use slow curing sealants for longer work time. Most are OK with RTV silicone but I find it to be a temporary solution as silicone oil present in green gas will slowly eat it away and gunk up the gun. Personally I use latex based sealants and have very seldom had to redo previous jobs. Make sure to degrease all joining surfaces including underneath o-ring pockets.

What I do is first soak the o-ring for a few days in silicon oil to try and revive it as best as can be, then I smear molybdenum disulfide grease (it's rubber safe) on all surfaces, top and bottom and assemble. The grease acts as an extra bit of stodge to prevent leaks and will hopefully elongate the life of the o-ring.

Another method, if the o-ring is a complete right off, would be to try to use automotive liquid gasket, It's like a silicone sealant made for the heat of engines. In fact maybe a bead of normal silicone might work.

Tom.

My Maruzen pistol uzi mags are resined shut, it's a little extreme but it's an option. It's also not as permanent as you may think, depending on what resin you use. One of the mags still leaked the first time I sealed them, so I hammered out the pins, cut out all the resin and tried again, now I have 5 fully working mags.

There are better options.

My Maruzen pistol uzi mags are resined shut, it's a little extreme but it's an option. It's also not as permanent as you may think, depending on what resin you use. One of the mags still leaked the first time I sealed them, so I hammered out the pins, cut out all the resin and tried again, now I have 5 fully working mags.

There are better options.

I'm desperate. What kind of resin did you use?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a automotive gasket maker from permatex and it seems to hold up extremely well, i saw it highly recommended on another thread on another forum and decided to try it out. Never looked back after that. Just be sure to remove the valve to let the oxygen in the mag and let it fully dry. I usually let it cure for a week to be absolutely certain its dry on the inside.

I use a automotive gasket maker from permatex and it seems to hold up extremely well, i saw it highly recommended on another thread on another forum and decided to try it out. Never looked back after that. Just be sure to remove the valve to let the oxygen in the mag and let it fully dry. I usually let it cure for a week to be absolutely certain its dry on the inside.

Thank you, I got some JB weld auto gasket maker and this kind of thing seems like the best choice. Goes on easy and so far seems to be air tight from what test spots I have applied it to.

Archived