GHK M4, full auto works sporarically.

grimmah

Hey guys.

I have one of Ratech's custom war sport GHK rifles, and recently its starting to misbehave. Basically what happens is the full auto sear is acting up. I can shoot in semi just fine, works every time, but when i flip over to the full auto settings, it can go from 4-5 shots, down to a single shot and then the trigger stops working. I need to flip the fire selector back to semi in order for it to release the hammer.  If i go back to full auto, more often than not it becomes a single shot rifle again. The trigger doesnt reset or anything. Ive made sure to lube the gun, i cant see any excessive wear or tear. The gun has been dryfired a bit, and 2-3 magazines worth of bb's fired, but thats it. Its close to in brand spanking new condition. I can not figure out what is wrong with it. I contacted Ratech directly, even though i purchased it from Airsoftworld,net, thinking they would have a better idea since they built the rifle, but they wont respond through their Airsofttaiwan store.

Maybe someone here is better at the GBBR workings and may be able to help me out here. I really enjoy the rifle and have spent a small fortune on a real Magpul UBR stock and other magpul items on it, so i would love to get it back to being reliable again.

Regards,

grimm

I believe the hammer or trigger is locked by the sear, as when i move the selector back to semi fire it resets the trigger with an audible click. i am not too familiar with gbbr or firearms in general to know what else may interfere or get caught on the sear. the bold is in full battery as i have a working forward assist and it wont push if any further forward. i do not have to recycle the bolt in any way, i can just reset with the fire selector.

So it's just the auto sear not releasing. Could be that the auto sear is bent so the bolt doesn't engage it as far forward or the bolt and/or upper is out of spec leading to the same result. Personally, I'd just avoid anything RATech if you're not keen on troubleshooting gbb systems.

Yes i have noticed people have very varied experiences with them, but i bought this gun already assembled so im not really having any options right now.

However, the rifle as i described above worked fine in the beginning, so i dont think its the bolt and upper being a problem. I cant see any damage to the auto sear. I am thinking its the piece below the sear that doesnt release it. the spring loaded thing with a hook i dont know the name of. could it be the sear spring that has been weakened? Ive had to fiddle with it and it was difficult to get back in position when i changed the pins to anti rotation pins.

If you mean the hooked part that sits on the trigger, that's the disconnector. Can't be that because that's the part responsible for semi auto and the selector lever only limits its forward/up travel.

I'm still thinking it's auto sear related. To do a quick test, tape a piece of cardboard as a temporary spacer on the auto sear where the bolt hits it.

You are probably right, i dont know much about these things. I will do as you ask and check with a piece of cardboard.

Oh and by the way, the internals are stock GHK items, aside from the bolt carrier group which is ratech steel, if that makes any difference.. The gun is Ratech custom, but its only the upper and lower receivers and the steel carrier. Their 7000-series forged set. im not sure if or by how much the pin holes might be out of spec compared to a stock GHK receiver.

I will report back my findings once ive had a chance to try what you suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

You might wanna do function check without actually firing

pull charging handle > release > pull and hold trigger > hear click > pull charging handle > release...

try different variations (e.g. slowly release charging handle so it won't completely return to battery easily) to see if you can recreate the issue

P.S. some AR GBB lowers are prone to break when this is done without magazine, so I usually place my finger where the valve is to let the pin hit against

grimmah, on 06 Jun 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Hey guys.

I have one of Ratech's custom war sport GHK rifles, and recently its starting to misbehave. Basically what happens is the full auto sear is acting up. I can shoot in semi just fine, works every time, but when i flip over to the full auto settings, it can go from 4-5 shots, down to a single shot and then the trigger stops working. I need to flip the fire selector back to semi in order for it to release the hammer.  If i go back to full auto, more often than not it becomes a single shot rifle again. The trigger doesnt reset or anything. Ive made sure to lube the gun, i cant see any excessive wear or tear. The gun has been dryfired a bit, and 2-3 magazines worth of bb's fired, but thats it. Its close to in brand spanking new condition. I can not figure out what is wrong with it. I contacted Ratech directly, even though i purchased it from Airsoftworld,net, thinking they would have a better idea since they built the rifle, but they wont respond through their Airsofttaiwan store.

Maybe someone here is better at the GBBR workings and may be able to help me out here. I really enjoy the rifle and have spent a small fortune on a real Magpul UBR stock and other magpul items on it, so i would love to get it back to being reliable again.

Regards,

grimm

Not with this gun, but I have the same issue with some RA tech internals for WE guns.

the workaround because I never dug deeper to actually fix it has been to manually hold the auto switch down, as ive noticed it tends to get kicked out of position. so check if your selector is creeping out of auto after a few shots. even if its not, press it there as you fire. see if problem persists

Archived