Running AEG off a variable power supply?

Horsem4n

I need a new power supply for my imax b6 charger because my $20 sky rc one is making some sick buzzing noises when plugged in now. I was thinking of buying an 8v power supply that I could switch on and off to run it so I wouldn't have to unplug it when not in use.

Then I thought about getting one with enough output to run an airsoft gun.

Problem is, I notice most of the ones on eBay only go up to 10 amps.

Is it possible to buy a power supply that will power an airsoft gun, but then be able to be stepped down to 8v and 1.5a to run my charger?

I heard about someone rigging up a car battery charger to run AEGs in their shop, but that's all I heard about that. I know chargers generally send power in pulses that don't match how a battery outputs power, so I just don't know.

Get yourself down to the local tip/electronics recycler/computer builder/wherever and procure yourself a computer power supply unit for next to nothing. I have an Enermax PSU that supplies my Imax B6 with 12V, up to 500watts. You can also wire in sockets for 5V and 3.3V, if you so desire.

If your interested in that route then let me know and I'll instruct you and/or point you in the right direction on how to do it.

They also have proper switches that actually cut the power and I think they are probably better made than your generic black, plastic brick.

Tom.

Interesting idea. I have a 500 watt power supply from a gaming PC. I upgraded my girlfriends to an 850 watt unit last year, so it's just hanging out.

It's a partially modular unit with the main mother board and CPU power cables permanently attached. the SATA and pcie cables are modular.

What would you have me do?

To the topic: why not

Did see a local shop uses one for testing AEGs, a big one with adjustable voltage ampage display, then by some simple math the staff could suggest a suitable batt pack for the gun.

I use a metal box kind of PSU which usually with exposed terminals lol, added a plastic project box and external leads and powers my charger.

Recently I play some FPV multirotors and felt the need of PSU with bigger amp, looking at some server style PSU with ridiculous output...

Archived