Foregrip "Options"

wazzy1013

hey guys, pardon with me in asking this, as hard to fully describe...

Looking for a new foregrip, as have both a vertical and angled but arent the most comfortable feeling anymore. I was wondering if there is something "inbetween" the two options?  Also, can you/do people use a handstop to rest your thumb on, in have it set on the left or right side rails ?

I have a handstop a bit behind my foregrip.

It protects  the back of my light and work as a thumbrest a lets my control the recoil and still have the hand under the rifle/bore.

Never was a fan of the hand over bore due to bad ergonomics

was thinking something like this ....

https://www.rainierarms.com/tyrant-designs-halo-minivert/

https://www.rainierarms.com/stark-se-5-express-grip-8099/

my goal is to try and not buy something to then chop it

And good to know someone else uses it as a thumbset, i thought i would be doing something "wrong", as ive been trying/using the over bore grip but doesnt work well with small hands, feel like im straining to hold the gun after a bit 

Consider the PTS aluminum ones. good ergos but well, not really soft for obvious reasons.

I like my foregrips to be tough as nails. the all metal ICS one with the sponge foam thing around it has served me well.  its an older one, not sure if sold anymore.

If possible, I'd look at changing handguard if your issue is small hand size prevent good grip around the forend.  If you're running quad pic right now, a freefloat tube with a narrow diameter will feel far better in the hand.

After trying many different VFGs and some angled grips, I've come to the conclusion in the end that I'd rather just not bother.  The vertical grip is nice on RS for automatic fire, for airsoft I find that less is more.

If possible, I'd look at changing handguard if your issue is small hand size prevent good grip around the forend.  If you're running quad pic right now, a freefloat tube with a narrow diameter will feel far better in the hand.

After trying many different VFGs and some angled grips, I've come to the conclusion in the end that I'd rather just not bother.  The vertical grip is nice on RS for automatic fire, for airsoft I find that less is more.

Im probably not going to be changing my rail, for the simple fact of i "cant". Both "rails" i use are monolithic; a Prime LMT MRP kit for my PTW, and a RS Vis-2a for my other PTW . The rails themselves arent thick/big, its just in the grip/extending my arms in doing the bore/overtop grip makes my arms tired ; and using a vertical grip also isnt the most comfortable anymore; so wanted to try something in the middle

An extended grip is what makes your arms tired, the type of foregrip you bolt on won't change the moment forces of the gun pivoting down around the point of your other hand; a foregrip just adds a tad more weight for you to hold up.  The extended c-clamp is great in brief CQB, competitions etc and there's a reason you don't see patrolling warfighters humping their kit around using that grip, unfortunately a certain specific angle of foregrip won't fix your problem.  The difference between a VFG, AFG and standard hold on the rail does engage the muscles and joints differently of course, but from a basic biology point of view you're generally best off just not using any foregrip.  Rifles just had flat, horizontal handguards for many hundreds of years, then the VFG started to get really popular around the time of the spread of automatic weapons.

If you're looking for that more vertical style, check out the longer BCM grip mentioned (long version), or the Fortis Shift options.  I'd bet they won't fix your problem though as I say, they just add a bit of weight.  Now changing your upper and using a lightweight forend, that'll fix the issue right away.  Or putting a VFG far back on the rail/gripping the mag well.  I'd imagine you're not fancying that, but you can't change physics end of the day.

i do have a MFT "mag" grip that i run also, which is comfy if i want to "hold"/shoulder like that. It is more when i reach further out that things become "awkward" per say. One thing i may try, is not retracting my stock all the way, as that'll make everything a bit more compact so i wont be stretching as far 

But ty for the tips CK, it definitely helps

Agreed that a flatter grip is better for extended holding - that vfg you can get for m203s is a good example of how you can mess up leverage. But I find a 'long' grip better then a magwell grip too. I suppose that comes down to individual preference.

But really if you are being tired out you need to get stronger. I think being able to hold your rifle as if it was a pistol with your arm locked a good indicator of longer-term... holdability?

Archived