Sharps rifle conversion attempt

Cesare

So I have just on impulse bought a Denix Sharps 1863 carbine. Thinking about a way to convert it into AS.

The basic idea is to take use Brocock shell cartridge w air pressure or co2.

The biggest challenge will probably be to make a firing pin strike the small primer.

Easiest way to make the firing mechanism is probably to prolong the hammer with a screw and file down the firing block so it may tip back and forth a few mm more and attaching a firing pin on the right place.

The bore is about .45-48 cal thinking of installing a Brocock round in a .45-70govt cartridge which should be a drop in fit.

12b7d30bcc8760023609ca0f5e76690c.jpg

4a202217b3b02da9549014108a53fb6e.jpg

d7ad322b54940f984dcd001ea8ea6c50.jpg

21e9fee60b67c2bdfd6cc8e5197b2fbb.jpg

39d663388576ef067fa3ac148d82ab7a.jpg

What you could also try is a merger between the Dan Wesson shells. In fact, if you have access to the machinery it would not be the most insane idea to hack up a DW revolver and see if you can squeeze it into the Sharps body.

BTW I've now had to add one of these to shopping list, even if it's just a prop alongside the Schofield. My credit card does not thank you :-(

IIRC the original sharps use a paper cartridge with separate percussion cap. It wasn't until the 1870's ones that they went to 45-70 metallic cartridges. How about adding a breach seal to the face of the breach block and having the internals from a TM nbb in there (centimeter master or similar) . You could place the valve in such a way that it vents into a small port drilled into the side of the barrel near the breach (behind the BB). That way you could thumb load individual rounds into the gun

my 2c

Yes but I would also have a shotgun instead of a rifle... it might be a plan-b

Right now I am working on a inner barrel system that would line up with the cartridge. Probably the precision will be awful but I am just glad if it fires : )

Also thinking about making it a 8mm instead of 6mm

Right now I am working on a inner barrel system that would line up with the cartridge. Probably the precision will be awful but I am just glad if it fires : )

Being fairly familiar with cartridge firing revolvers, what makes or breaks its potential for accuracy is the quality of the o-ring holding the bb and the concentricity of the shell to the forcing cone. If the o-rings are bad (has cast lines) and the shells aren't generally uniform (like Win Gun rubber tips) the o-ring acts like a hop rubber or the bb is forced to roll against one edge of the barrel (like a sideways LRB) giving actual hop up direction a life of its own.

Yes but I would also have a shotgun instead of a rifle... it might be a plan-b

Also thinking about making it a 8mm instead of 6mm

Can you post a pic of the internals of the Denix when you've stripped it down. My gun-fu won't extend to a rifle but I am thinking of a gas shell shottie... 

Archived