FrankenFAL- CA58 to classic FAL

Corbeau

So, this is a build log and planning area for a build I'm preparing to start. As of right now, it's in the planning and info gathering stages, but as of next Friday when my overtime check hits, I'll be building and sharing.

Goal

Take the SA58, which I detest, and turn it into a glorious full length battle rifle using real steel parts, with a Wolverine HPA system and tuned to be effect to at least 250 feet. The setup in the picture below is what I'm going for aesthetically, minus the putrid Rhodesian paint.

RhodieFALandM1.jpg

How am I gonna do it?

Stage 1

Starting with a Classic Army SA58 extended barrel( http://classicarmyshop.com/classic-army-exclusive-custom-ca58-l1a1-wantabe-cacc012.html )I'll make the following additions:

-Real Steel top cover, to get rid of the fugly rail

-Ares L1A1 flashhider, with Madbull -/+ thread converter

-Real Steel Wooden Stock

At this point, the rifle's appearance should be shaping up nicely. I'm worried about attaching the dust cover, the wooden stock, not so much.

Stage 2

Now, it's time for fiddling with the external details. My goal is to replace every possible part with it's real steel equivalent, but without the gun in front of me I can't know which parts those are. Apprehensively, these are the parts I wish to change:

-Rear sight

-Gas block

-Gas Tube

-Polymer handguard

-Polymer pistol grip

-Charging handle

-Fit airsoft mag internals into real steel magazines

-In addition, very light weathering may be started. I'm not a fan of fake weathering, but if I can find the furniture I want, the metal will be a little too fresh.

Again, some of these parts may not make it, and some not listed might. I'll definitely be raiding Apex Gun Parts for fiddle external bits.

Stage 3

Now, the internals. My goal is to compete with (but not necessarily meet) DMRs at ~425 FPS.

-Wolverine Inferno Gen 2, Wolverine regulator

-Tightbore barrel

-R- or flat-hop

HPA makes teching easy.

So, any feedback? Does anyone have experience with fitting real parts to an airsoft FAL? Anything I'm missing? Thanks!

Update! I've compiled the list of parts I'll be purchasing tomorrow. I made a few changes, and not everything is included here, just the initial bits. Instead of the Classic Army FAL, I'll be using a Lancer Tactical. The only reason for this is that I'm paranoid about HK gun orders getting through customs, and I don't know anything about the website selling them, which allegedly is owned by CA. I also decided to use a Mancraft PDiK instead of an Inferno, because I like the louder sound of the Mancraft, I don't need full auto for this build, and I appreciate the complete lack of electronics. No worrying about batteries or tuning, if I've got air, I can shoot. The fact that it's a little cheaper doesn't hurt at all. So, the parts list:

From AirsoftGI:

Lancer Tactical(ew) FAL Carbine

Valken 48/3000 HPA tank

From Evike(double ew):

4.5 inch barrel extension(not long enough, I know, but the next item justifies that)

Spartan 245 MM mock suppressor

650 MM tightbore barrel from Angel Custom(triple ew)

Valken Air Hose

From Apex Gun Parts:

FAL Rear Sight Assembly

FAL Top Cover

FAL Pistol Grip(wanted to wait on this and change the forearm and grip at once, but since the stock grip is M249 style, gotta lose it ASAP)

L1A1 Aluminum Buttplate

From Gunbroker(probably):

FAL or L1A1 wood stock

I looked into this, too, but gave up after realising that changing "just a few things" ( top cover, rear sight, barrel, flash hider, grip, carry handle) would end up costing more or less the same as a new Ares L1A1.

I looked into this, too, but gave up after realising that changing "just a few things" ( top cover, rear sight, barrel, flash hider, grip, carry handle) would end up costing more or less the same as a new Ares L1A1.

All together, I'm gonna have about $730 in the parts I listed, so you're right, but i don't trust Ares quality at all. Minus the HPA parts, I'm sitting at around $350 I think, so less than the five bills for the Ares, but to be honest, if I could talk to someone who owns the Ares between now and tomorrow, they'd have a chance of convincing me to give this up and go that route.

Alright, so I got a chance on a real steel AMD-65 that was too good to pass up, so I wasn't able to get all of the parts I needed, however, I have a good start on the externals. Here's what I've ordered:

-Lancer Tactical FAL

-FAL top cover

-FAL pistol grip

-Angel Custom 4.5 inch barrel extension

-Spartan Doctrine 40x245MM mock suppressor(one big freaking can)

-Wood stock and fittings

This will get the externals in order well enough to see how the final product is going to turn out, and in a couple of weeks I'll get the parts needed to finish it.

Archived