Current Industry Trends

RC-1138

There are now plenty of options beyond the regular MOSFET with brake, and some models that substitute the old trigger system with fancy new electronics. Some manufacturers (few) already substitute them from factory, like G&G.

The top of the crop is IMO the Gate Titan. Take a look around and watch some videos about them all.

Also, the internal/external components market is excellent. You can buy pretty much whatever gun you want, and as long as the shell is worth of the upgrade, make an absolute monster of it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mention your collection got destroyed by a flood, can you define what destroyed is? Did they just get wet and dirty or actually got physically smashed? Do you have them still? You can most probably salvage most of your collection with some tech work if they just dont work because they got soaked in **** water for a while.

If you get some pics up im sure some of us would be able to help out to see what is salvagable.

He lives in NY and i believe I've met him when i used to live down there (and i believe i remember the BS events that lead up to his hiatus). The flood i believe he's referring to also affected me. Hurricane sandy in 2012. His guns were probably submerged in salt water for hours. A couple dozen of the guns in the shop i worked at also ended up in the same predicament. We tried fixing them, but all the metal surfaces became oxidized, the wiring harnesses all needed to be replaced, and the plastic parts were weakened. We ended up deciding to mostly write them off and sell them as is. Even after wiping off the rust on the steel surfaces with oil, the parts instantly continued rusting. salt water is a hell of a thing.

They would still be salvageable, but if they were cars they would be labeled as totaled. It would cost more to fix them then to buy another gun.

I'm super glad i lived in a 2nd floor apartment and stayed at my mothers house in CT to wait out the storm.

Actually they were lost in a flood in Florida in October of last year. I had stored them down there while I was in the Army/University.

Pretty much all are shot. I moved back to NY in the meantime but only brought a P90 (which both survived fine) and the 417 to try and work on it. Here are some pics:

PFk7kDC.jpg

mz3vWPS.jpg

GAdGuZH.jpg

It's so rusted on the inside I can't even crack it open. I think the rust actually caused the gearbox to expand. The selector switch is actually fuzed in that position, I think if I try to force it, it will just snap off.

This one bothered me more than anything else just because, and I cannot emphasis this enough, BRAND new. Like still in the original box, had the warning stickers on it, the little tag around the trigger guard. I had put 1 mag through it just to ensure it worked when I bought it and put it aside for when I would start playing again. And it's totally junked. I tried to see if a warranty would cover it. Nope. I tried to see if my local store would buy it back for parts. Nope, it's pretty much worthless.

It got flooded with 'treated' sewage, I was actually working at the Wastewater treatment plant, as a Chemical Engineering intern, down the street at the time of the flood, so I am uniquely aware of what was in that water (hint, you wouldn't want it on your shoes, much less anything you touched). We weren't allowed back in our homes for a few days after the flood and it took a few days after that to get to my guns (our house was largely destroyed). The guns, real and airsoft, in hard pelican cases (100% worth the money fyi, my only regret is not having more) were perfectly fine; still smelt of silicon spray when I opened them. The P90's were on a shelf. The rest were in soft cases on the floor. I *think* the M1A1 is fine, and didn't even look at my CA249 Para or than drying it/it's case off. The KWA USP was so rusted I couldn't get the slide off as the outer barrel had expanded.

I'll be going down to florida in a week or two and plan to do a full inspection then. I'll take pics while I'm down there and upload them to show the damage. Moral of the story: Don't get airsoft guns wet. Without delving into details (and avoiding discussing real steel) the M1 Carbine survived 100% A-Okay despite being in the same water and thankfully my MR556 was in a Pelican case. I think I woulda lost it if that one was damaged/destroyed.

He lives in NY and i believe I've met him when i used to live down there (and i believe i remember the BS events that lead up to his hiatus).

The last event(s) I did before my hiatus (cause by the Army) was the Ai500 at Camp Blanding and Diamond Dogs done the following year again at Blanding. I think I did 1 or 2 little events in the interim but I honestly don't remember. It wasn't until like last year I played again with any regularity, at this indoor field by my university.

Speedsoft is the bane of this game. That's why I never play.. Its stupid. Collecting and tinkering is where its at

let the 10 year olds run around while mom is getting her nails done. seems to be the direction the game is heading. and don't get me started on "adult" days where adult = 12+

I cry inside

Sounds like you got your asre handed to you by 10 year olds!!! 

The last event(s) I did before my hiatus (cause by the Army) was the Ai500 at Camp Blanding and Diamond Dogs done the following year again at Blanding. I think I did 1 or 2 little events in the interim but I honestly don't remember. It wasn't until like last year I played again with any regularity, at this indoor field by my university.

Ok, I must have you mistaken with someone else then. You had disappeared around the same time someone else I knew from NY did.

Speedsoft is the bane of this game. That's why I never play.. Its stupid. Collecting and tinkering is where its at

let the 10 year olds run around while mom is getting her nails done. seems to be the direction the game is heading. and don't get me started on "adult" days where adult = 12+

I cry inside

For you:

https://youtu.be/cYtfPdIcZKg?t=35

The best that happened to AEGs is the mosfets these days.

I am still a fan of the ASCUs and they do have lipo save capability.

There a thingie in between AEG og GBBR and that is HPA guns.

A lot of people use them these days and they have a lot avantage IF only you can live with the hose going to the tankk on your back.

VFC have really goodlooking guns both AEG and GBBR wise but if you are goin for reliabiliy go the GHK Way.

Mags are expensive but they work and more and more of other manufactors make GBBRs using GHK mags.

PTWs are more commonly and there is a bigger used marked for them these days so prices has gone down to where you

should give them a though. One good barrel one good optic and the same mags but different cylinders...

Wow... why on earth would someone play airsoft like that? Does paintball not exist there?

Don't know why. Sometimes communities just develop in the direction they do, regardless of what's "best".

In the video, those are paintball players playing airsoft. Not airsoft players trying to play paintball.

All i can think is that paintball is very very expensive to play in thailand, and airsoft is cheaper.

Don't know why. Sometimes communities just develop in the direction they do, regardless of what's "best".

In the video, those are paintball players playing airsoft. Not airsoft players trying to play paintball.

All i can think is that paintball is very very expensive to play in thailand, and airsoft is cheaper.

Hmmp maybe. I admitidly know next to nothing about paintball as it never interested me. All I am aware of from pricing is that it's cheaper to get into paintball than airsoft, but more expensive to stay in (long term costs vs. short term costs). Although that's changed in airsoft? Kinda the point of this thread I suppose is that it seems, again I may be wrong, that the initial startup funds for airsoft has genuinly decreased. Sure you can drop $1500 USD on a gun upgraded to the nines from the best manufacturer around (who is that, btw?) but a lower priced 'sportline' will allow you to participate just fine? Again I don't know for sure, most of my guns, surviving and not, are TM's, CA's, and VFC's.

Sorry, i mainly talk about tournament paintball when i mention it.

A good setup, in new prices, will run you £1000 before you are done. That's gearbag, shoes, pants, slideshorts, armguards, jersey, mask, bandana, pod pack, pods, marker, loader, air tank. Or you can get a new planet eclipse marker for just £1000 alone... http://www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk/paintball-guns.html?price=500-

Then if you train, it will cost £50-120 per training day in ammo.

Then if you go to tournaments, it is £500-800 for international tournaments, per event (eg. Millenium series has 5 events, spread in Germany, France, England, etc). So maybe £2500 a year just to play millenium.

National events, maybe £100-150 per day.

No matter what you do, playing tournament paintball will always be expensive just in ammo.

So that is why airsoft can be cheaper.

No matter what you do, playing tournament paintball will always be expensive just in ammo.

So that is why airsoft can be cheaper.

That's kinda what I always thought was the case. Long term vs. Short term.

Airsoft can be equally if not more expensive. Its just that right now we are flooded with cheap 100$ guns that work. (bunch of) Years ago you couldn't find anything under 350...

but if you want to get into the cool stuff, airsoft is astronomically priced. literally, the limit is your credit line

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to inspect my guns that were in storage since the flood: the P90 and Thompson survived (and amazingly, the Thompson is still a top performer, I got that damn gun in like... 2004? 2005? 12 years old and still has that magic TM Hop Up and amazing consistency). I *think* my CA249Para is working but the battery I was testing it with died shortly after getting a few rounds out of it. For those interested: LiPolys don't work well when left in storage in ~100 Degree F heat for months on end. My KWA USP was totally shot. The slide/outer barrel were so rusted I needed to use a rubber mallet to dislodge it, the magazine had rusted so badly it had expanded in the grip and couldn't be removed (and was showing signs of stress, no cracks, but clear stress marks, on the grip), and the spring was essentially dust.

In as few words, my Inland M1 Carbine is fine; they don't make em like they used to.

Two pieces of advice:

1) Pelican cases are worth every penny. They still smelled of silicon spray when I cracked em open and needless to say the guns were fine inside. Also ammo cans, buy them. Waterproof to at least 1 meter confirmed lol.

2) Turns out D-Boys H&K 416's are waterproof. Go figure right? That one was (clearly) fully immersed in the water (had residue on every inch of it) but after cleaning it up (and finding almost no rust, seriously what did they make the gears/gearbox out of? Aluminum? Stainless steel?) replacing the wiring with extras I had in the ammo can it worked fine.

I can't speak for the US but over this side of the pond airsoft has become more mainstream in the past decade. This means more sites and shops opening (good), but it also more players which means the number of undesirables getting into the game has gone up. Luckily they tend to be the minority and are the sort that give up quickly but they're still bloody annoying

I think one of the current trend is more people are accepting China made airsoft compared to years ago when they are considered as junky pot metal or plastic toys. These China airsoft are stepping up in terms of quality and material. And it doesn't take a lot of your hard earn cash to tweak it to the max. As RC-1138 (fellow SW fan here) pointed out, his D-Boys 416 survived a flood without any damages or rust.

While the Chinese are stepping up in manufacturing better airsoft guns. Some branded airsoft are lowering their quality to compete with the Chinese made. I think the worse budget airsoft I ever seen are the M4's from Kings Arm. It made a D-Boy or JG M4 looks like its made in Japan.

I cannot say the same for China made GBB pistols, they are loosing the market share to WE which cost just a few tens more than a China made.

It's not just guns but the cheaper gear manufacturers seam to be upping their game too, eg I've heard a lot of good things about the newer Viper kit. Obviously it still won't be as robust as the real kit but a lot of it is good enough for running around the woods once a fortnight

I can't speak for the US but over this side of the pond airsoft has become more mainstream in the past decade. This means more sites and shops opening (good), but it also more players which means the number of undesirables getting into the game has gone up. Luckily they tend to be the minority and are the sort that give up quickly but they're still bloody annoying

people have been bitchin about riff raff / kids ruining airsoft since day 1... yet to see this myself...

Boxster, on 14 Jul 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

I think one of the current trend is more people are accepting China made airsoft compared to years ago when they are considered as junky pot metal or plastic toys. These China airsoft are stepping up in terms of quality and material. And it doesn't take a lot of your hard earn cash to tweak it to the max. As RC-1138 (fellow SW fan here) pointed out, his D-Boys 416 survived a flood without any damages or rust.

While the Chinese are stepping up in manufacturing better airsoft guns. Some branded airsoft are lowering their quality to compete with the Chinese made. I think the worse budget airsoft I ever seen are the M4's from Kings Arm. It made a D-Boy or JG M4 looks like its made in Japan.

I cannot say the same for China made GBB pistols, they are loosing the market share to WE which cost just a few tens more than a China made.

A lot of that had to do with HK (aka china) and Taiwan (again, china, depending who you ask, that's a can of worms tho), putting huge disclaimers about anything from mainland china being garbage and them not warrantying it or taking returns on it. Its all about market protection, not about quality. Quality is equally *suitcase* as they all use the same materials and horrible machine work.

But now with many mainland china places finally making it direct to market, people are realizing its not that different if any. Also, they figured a lot of the stuff from HK was just rebranded mainland stuff for 4x the cost (optics, especially)

Archived