Ares L1A1 Gearbox Question

Corbeau

So, in my quest for an FAL, I've more or less written off the Ares, even though the L1A1 is my favorite variant, because I keep reading that it has a proprietary gearbox, and I jut don't trust that company in general. However, I have read that that just means it has some weird pin holes in the shell or something of the like, and is otherwise just a V3 gearbox. My plan right now is to try and build an old-school looking FAL from an SA58, which I know uses a V3, and then install a Mancraft PDiK or Wolverine Inferno. My question is, does the Ares have a close enough to V3 GB for me install one of those engines?

ARES mechboxes isn't all that bad.  They are the only company that do make decent proprietary mechboxes, where other companies can't even copy v2/v3s correctly.

The ARES L1A1 however, the big issue isn't the mechbox, its the receivers, barrel and airseal.  The mechbox doesn't sit in the receiver at the right angle, the upper receiver flexes under physical pressure and loses airseal.

To make a good L1A1 it would be better to use the SA58 as base and transplant the furniture over.

The ARES L1A1 doesn't use a mechbox which will fit with the normal mounts of a V3.  

ARESPTL1A1H.JPG

However you can get a polarstar that fits the ARES L1A1

P1060728.jpg

Archived