Your Favorite Double Action/Single Action Pistol (s)

Wingman

Going through the pistol collection and doing a little maintenance and action checks and made this list of Double Action/Single Action pistols, that I own, in order of how I feel about them. This is totally non-scientific and is just based on my experience shooting these specific pistols over many years. Your experience may differ.

1.) ASG CZ P-09: Works with C02 and Green Gas. Decent double action trigger for the first shot. Re-set is very short and the Single Action lets off with no "wall" before the release (wish it had a bit of one). Power with C02 is strong and my 3 P-09's combine very good accuracy with very good range with .25's. You will have to put a good number of shots (100-150) through a new one to get the hop-up working really well, but once set, it never seems to drift off. Sights are 3 dot and excellent. Build quality is very good with a nice flat finish on the metal parts. Nice trades (legal too).

Sights are terrific and I like the ability to carry "cocked and locked". Fits nicely in my hands with a very low bore axis. Other than the lack of a "wall" in single action mode, I have zero complaints with the pistol.

2.) WE Walther P-38: Probably the most "fun" of this type of pistol in my collection. A really nice and smooth double action trigger and a single action trigger that actually has a "wall" before it sets off. Its not much of one, but its there! Re-set is super short. Sights are some of the best military style sights for WWII style pistol. Nice hammer drop safety (do not abuse it!). While it has a very slim magazine with limited BB capacity, I have found this pistol to put out a good number of shots from a Green Gas fill (35+/-). This thanks to help from Brigg.

Range and accuracy are quite good with 90% of my shooting with .25's. This pistol also takes some shooting time before the hop-up becomes truly effective.

This is no speed/action shooting style pistol as nothing is ambi other than the magazine release, which is only ambi because its sits at bottom of the grip! The grip is actually a bit wider than the grip on my P-09. However, it fills the hand nicely and the pistol points quite well. Fit and finish are very good (i have 2 black and 1 brushed silver). Zero trades (thankfully, no fake trades either!). Nicely done WE.

I shoot these pistols quite a bit and have spent a great deal of time trying to speed load magazines into it. Its not easy (lol). By the way, the pistol fits in a Blackhawk holster for a SIG P226. The barrel protrudes a bit, but the pistol locks in nicely. Real steel grips look great on this pistol. Wood grips take a little work to fit, but it is worth it.

3.) KJW SIG P229: My "tank". This pistol is just very well made and always seems to work quite well (except in very cold weather). Range and accuracy are decent with .25's. Hop-up is very effective, Sights are good combat 3 dot style. 

Double action pull is smooth and we have the same issue of no "wall" before the single action let off. Re-set is a bit longer than the CZ P-09, but it is still pretty good and is more audible than the above pistols. The finish is a glossy black and there are "ok" trades.

My only real issue with this pistol, and nearly all SIG pistols, are their overly wide grips (wider than the CZ) and they sit very high in the hand.

This pistol is made to take a beating, and mine certainly has.

4.) KJW CZ 75: Now while this pistol has probably, without question, the worst Double Action pull on the market, the Single Action is light. It does very well with C02 and Green Gas.

The pistol is very well built and has a nice matt finish (no trades on mine). Love the "cocked and locked" capability.

This pistol also seems to work all the time. Give it time for the hop-up to become truly effective. Range and accuracy are very good on mine. Sights are plain but get the job done. First day I had this pistol, I used it to shoot a wasp nest (bigger than a softball) off the roof overhang on a tall shed in my backyard from over 50 feet away (it was that or I was going to use my Thompson AEG-the wife said no!). Mission accomplished! 

It is a nice classic style pistol and with wood grips, it is quite beautiful. That is mostly why it is #4.

I also have a TM SIG P226 and Px4 Storm, but the above are my favorites.

Hope you enjoyed the list. Your collection list, comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Right now, it's my Marushin P88, it has the best da\sa trigger I've ever felt on a NBB, only to be beaten by the Maruzen 4505 and Tanaka revolvers; in terms of lightness.

My KSC SP2022 has a great wall and crisp break combat trigger. Actually, it's trigger is the only reason I still have after 9 years.

My personal old reliable is my ksc beretta m9. I found it much preferable to the tm m9. Surprisingly only had a problem with one magazine where the lips that hold on the baseplate corroded off. Half of my extractor flung off and a small bit of metal inside the slide broke out, but all to no detriment to the gun and it has had many many thousand rounds put through it in about 9 years of use as I got it as soon as the model came out.

I love the newer we guns, they are great, I especially like the p99 at the moment, but that has not seen anywhere near as much abuse as my m9, not yet anyway! The flip side to that has to be we browning hi-power, one of the worst guns I own in standard form, but fixable with a bit of work.

Realism wise, hands down it has to be my vfc vp9, but this has had hardly any use so I cannot possibly comment on its durability yet, but it is a beautiful pistol, as you can see if you look at the review pages, but it is a vfc (read that how you will ;-) ).

My only experience with VFC is their Walther PPQ. Have had zero issues with mine other than a ambi slide lock that was way too loose. Was able to get the part with little trouble and took no time to replace.

I do appreciate the number of shots from a gas fill (even duster) and while range and accuracy are good, I would like a little more oomph in the FPS area. Still, I cant complain about VFC and I'm considering their FNS.

I'd like to get my hands on the P88 even as a NBB. Always liked the look. Never knew it existed. Is it still made?

Had a KSC M9 many many years ago, long before they went to the new gas system. Was a nice pistol and I actually wore it out and parts breakage started getting too much to deal with. The newer models such as TM, KJW and WE seem quite popular and I may have to put a M9 back in the armoury.

Nope, Marushin stopped production years ago, but they show up every now and then in jJapan for next to nothing:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search;_ylt=A7dPFtUpVVBZ.1gAfX5APDh8?p=p88&aq=-1&oq=&x=0&y=0&fixed=0&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=2084005573

I would hold out for a heavy weight.

Not a massive DA/SA fan as I prefer consistency (also not a striker fan or DAO fan for different reasons).

But my favourite has to be my TM USPc as it fits me spot on, has a good clean kick to it and can be carried SA or DA.

'FireKnife'

Got myself a WE P99 on Saturday, and I am very impressed. It feels great (I can't put it down when I'm at home much to my wife's annoyance), solidly built. I even found the safety which a lot of people say doesn't exist.

If you are referring to the safety where you push the takedown lever to the left, yes it exists, but it shouldn't, it isn't on the real gun but is copied from the inclusion on the marushin. Personally I don't like it, but some people will (the safety that is!), but the we p99 is a lovely gun, and so far mine is certainly robust.

The 'safety' should be there, it is to return the trigger to the double action pull. Some of the P99 models are DAO but the original and AS system both have a heavier first pull and a lighter second, the safety being there to return the pistol to that heavier pull, like many DA/SA decockers.

'FireKnife'

^

a "safety" is mandatory on guns from ASGK compliant/member companies ( SN plate on TM g***ks )

then they just got cloned, BAM!

for me my fav SA would be TM Governments i.e. 1911, 2011(Hi-Capa)

stupidly simple, yet complicated enough to show the traits from the builder(owner)

.... and KJ/ASG CZ75 SP01 for DA/SA, but I don't own one (yet)

like what OP says...... except it's like P09's trigger in a CZ75 body

I was just checking that pistol (CZ SP01) the other day and I'm not a huge fan of the fiber optic front sight or he shape of the thumb safety (as opposed to the CZ 75). But if the trigger is as good as the P09, I may have to get one. Can it use the CZ 75 magazines?

^^ si

the sight isn't fiber. its fake. just plastic translucent rod. fortunately CZcustom/oem CZ stuff is bolt on.

trigger is better than the p09. it doesn't suffer from the failure to release the hammer (sear hang up) on double action like the p09

Odd. all of mines show it after some use. it helps if you pull the trigger fast so inertia can carry it over. but if you do it slowly, its very easy to reproduce. I think it has to do with the soft zinc like trigger bar that wears and doesn't push back far enough. its 0 wear tolerance design anyway. I have tried to adapt the real trigger bar but the cz part is made of "glass" and when you try to bend the nub to get it to engage kj sear, it snaps off instead. weird.

I just converted the P09 to single action only. not enough strain to cause wear that way anyway

and you should get a few of them. and certainly the Aplus stamped version. their finish isn't the most durable though but its well done. CZ triggers also fit and I suggest the cz85 flat forward canted one at least for my index finger length

d4IYkap.jpg

I have tried to adapt the real trigger bar but the cz part is made of "glass" and when you try to bend the nub to get it to engage kj sear, it snaps off instead. weird.

Is the break powdery or clean. If powdery, that's MIM and there's nothing you can do except maybe braze/weld a new tab on. If clean, that's quench hardened carbon steel. You need to heat it cherry red to bend it safely.

Any thoughts on how the SP01 compares to a Hi-Cappa/2011? I'm trying to decide between the two. My issue with the Hi-Cappa, is that the magazine release seems too easy to activate by accident. My sons KJW is a really nice pistol, but you just have to touch the mag release for the mag to drop.

Is the break powdery or clean. If powdery, that's MIM and there's nothing you can do except maybe braze/weld a new tab on. If clean, that's quench hardened carbon steel. You need to heat it cherry red to bend it safely.

ooh been a while. the edges were rough, I would go with powdery. looked like when aluminum breaks

Archived