Umarex MP5 AEGS--How customizable are they? Good for an a3 Build?

Shrike6

Hi,

I'm in the market to replace my poor CA MP5a3 that exploded when it was dropped muzzle-first on a concrete floor at a convention--shattered the tabs holding the gas tube onto the receiver and the tabs that joined the receiver to the pistol grip/selector group. I want an AEG made of either high quality aluminum or steel instead of crappy pot metal so this doesn't happen again, but I want an MP5a3, not the a5 or a4 variants that Umarex currently makes. I have loads of AEG magazines for it, so I'd lose out by purchasing/building a Umarex a3 GBB. Can I swap out an a3 trigger group on the Umarex Mp5a5, or am I going to have to look elsewhere?

There's been some mention of LCT making an MP5 model eventually with high quality metals, but I'd rather build something now if it's available. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

The only way you will get what you want is if you put a kit on it.. no out of the box is made of high quality metal, ever, regardless of the price or what they may claim.

Your choice of gun also pretty much limits you to stock units only. Umarex stuff is 99% made by VFC which are ok, but metals are no different than anything else out there. Internals are V2 so you can go wild inside. outside tho, you are stuck with what you get iirc

the only steel aeg out of the box ever that im aware of is from some Chinese company that is no more that used decommissioned AK47 bodies and made them into airsoft.. they were meh otherwise though, certainly not worth it.

CZfan seems to forget about a huge number of Steel bodied airsoft rifles available but never mind .

The newer Umarex ones (VFC with burst feature) are actually really really nice and feel as solid as the steel bodied GBB . The aeg is either very firm Ally or steel but i'll have to check .

The body is also correct length so takes real foregrips but because of the burst system you may have difficulty with the SEF selector group 

Edit- I just checked and the VFC is certainly steel although obviously quite thin due to the gearbox etc

Doesn't necessarily have to be steel--aluminum would be fine as well. My main issue was the design weakness where the gas tube attaches to the receiver with two tabs and if those break, your gun is junk. I want a solution to this issue and I want it as an MP5a3. Bonus points if I can still use the flashlight foregrip that came with my CA MP5a3. All my other accessories should still work just fine--the MP5 offset laser mount, low-pro red dot.

The same would apply to an src mp5. For what it is worth, I would say get one and throw away your flashlight grip, it is much more worth your while to purchase a vfc grip (or other make with the correct dimensions and locking lugs) which doesn't use those crappy little tabs to secure it, you will be much happier. As with the tube, it will feel much more solid.

CZfan seems to forget about a huge number of Steel bodied airsoft rifles available but never mind .

The newer Umarex ones (VFC with burst feature) are actually really really nice and feel as solid as the steel bodied GBB . The aeg is either very firm Ally or steel but i'll have to check .

The body is also correct length so takes real foregrips but because of the burst system you may have difficulty with the SEF selector group 

Edit- I just checked and the VFC is certainly steel although obviously quite thin due to the gearbox etc

Out of the box? which ones. The one I was thinking was real sword. What else? Do genuinely want to know so don't just make that statement and list nothing. Its rude ;p

Real sword, LCT and E&L in order of quality. But then again, theybare known for their AK's, which are steel in real life. Hell, some Cyma's are steel and known for being a solid starter AK.

You won't see any steel AR15, G36's, Scars or 805 BREN's for obvious reasons.

MP5's however, I too find them not convinsing in the quality aspect. I don't know any standard steel bodied MP5's. Perhaps after the LCT's G3 they do a MP5?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Real sword, LCT and E&L in order of quality. But then again, theybare known for their AK's, which are steel in real life. Hell, some Cyma's are steel and known for being a solid starter AK.

You won't see any steel AR15, G36's, Scars or 805 BREN's for obvious reasons.

MP5's however, I too find them not convinsing in the quality aspect. I don't know any standard steel bodied MP5's. Perhaps after the LCT's G3 they do a MP5?

G36 is one of these things that we cant have in real life.. like a psg1. Good info. I see CYMA makes the zinc bodied ak as well. the steel one is stamped and not milled but for the price, I might actually pick one up just to hang on the wall. not going to hijack the mp5 thread more (which im actually interested in ever since I passed on an echo1 many eons ago.)

Ah? You sure they'd do one?

I'm quite so. There have been several pictures with the G3 and MP5 bodies side by side, and it makes sense they share the building technique with the two most iconic HK weapons.

new-lct2.4.jpg

Archived