Paypal and Airsoft

vietnammarine

Hello everyone,

during past month I have experienced a very strange thing with with my Paypal account.

Paypal has suddenly suspended my account and explanation from their claim department is:

"we have decided to place a permanent suspension on your PayPal account and no longer provide our services to you, as the level of risk associated with your account is too great. This permanent suspension applies to all current PayPal accounts held by you or any further accounts you may open in the future. If necessary PayPal may permanently limit an account in accordance with our User Agreement. To learn more about our policies please click ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of any PayPal page.

The decision was made as you were deemed to be in breach of our Acceptable Use Policy. The Acceptable Use Policy highlights some of the legal responsibilities buyers and sellers assume when transacting. It is the responsibility of both the buyer and seller to ensure that they are compliant with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal’s services."

I have (morelikely had) my account since Y2008 or 09, during the whole period I was buying military gear, some airsoft guns - not so much until about last year, without any issues. From last year I have started to collect airsoft GBB guns at much higher rate. And except sponsoring few gun or military Channels through Patreon, the as far as I remember only other transaction was a car filter for my brother and some Snoopy collectibles for my wife :-D

This leads me to only answer, that the suspension has something to do with tougher gun control in European Union. My questions is, does anybody here has any experience like this with Paypal, that they would suspend account for buying airsoft guns? I will just add, that airsoft is 100% legal here (including import of guns, parts and accessories) in Czech from age of 18. 

How strange, I've been using mine since 2007 and mainly for Airsoft related stuff... I've never had any issue or warning. It could just be your transaction pattern somehow triggers their automated system to flag you as someone they don't want undeservingly, probably the snoopies :D ... Is there anything you could do? Create a new account? 

In Paypal Acceptable Use Policy, it say you can't use their service for firearms, certain firearm parts or accessories. Then the question lies if airsoft considered as a firearm for Paypal? If airsoft do counts as firearms, then it's very strange since all airsoft shops use Paypal. I haven't bought a lot airsoft guns outside of CZ with Paypal, just smaller stuff and accessories.

Have you been able to contact them for more "detailed" of the suspension? 

I hope I won't get suspended as well, because I want to purchase some GBB pistol slide and other parts from Asia. 

I had a strike on my paypal when a chinese retailer (RSOV maybe?) Didn't send me a gun and I had to file a claim.

I had my paypal shut down for a few days for "selling firearms".then got an email asking me to list the nature of every sale and purchase within the last 3 months, I did so and it included 1 RIF sold to a re-enactor (in accordance with the law) and my paypal suddenly was open again with no response to my list.

About a week later I made a complaint about the strike, and that I had acted within the law, and the terms of use of paypal, asking for the strike to be removed, I got a response saying there was no strike so I guess it must have been removed.

There's a whole lot of automated BS going on here, no doubt about it.  At 'best' some algorithm is probably picking out suspect accounts and flagging them to some poor, underpaid individual who doesn't actually look at the information on their screen before hitting either the big green tick or big red X because they have to make some ridiculous quota of decisions per minute.  Paypal have their anti-gun policy but they sure to manage to ignore a *fruitcage* LOT of money they make from what is no doubt millions of transactions related to (mostly) gun parts and accessories that happen on their service every year.  Clearly putting very little effort in to locking it down.

I've bought a ton of general militaria with paypal transactions the past few years, lots of stuff on ebay, lots of purchases with airsoft shops.  Nothing that would technically break their rules, but a lot of things that would look like they break the rules to anyone uneducated/unaware who is looking (which is going to be anyone they hire to look).

vietnammarine, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

during past month I have experienced a very strange thing with with my Paypal account.

Paypal has suddenly suspended my account and explanation from their claim department is:

"we have decided to place a permanent suspension on your PayPal account and no longer provide our services to you, as the level of risk associated with your account is too great. This permanent suspension applies to all current PayPal accounts held by you or any further accounts you may open in the future. If necessary PayPal may permanently limit an account in accordance with our User Agreement. To learn more about our policies please click ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of any PayPal page.

The decision was made as you were deemed to be in breach of our Acceptable Use Policy. The Acceptable Use Policy highlights some of the legal responsibilities buyers and sellers assume when transacting. It is the responsibility of both the buyer and seller to ensure that they are compliant with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal’s services."

I have (morelikely had) my account since Y2008 or 09, during the whole period I was buying military gear, some airsoft guns - not so much until about last year, without any issues. From last year I have started to collect airsoft GBB guns at much higher rate. And except sponsoring few gun or military Channels through Patreon, the as far as I remember only other transaction was a car filter for my brother and some Snoopy collectibles for my wife :-D

This leads me to only answer, that the suspension has something to do with tougher gun control in European Union. My questions is, does anybody here has any experience like this with Paypal, that they would suspend account for buying airsoft guns? I will just add, that airsoft is 100% legal here (including import of guns, parts and accessories) in Czech from age of 18. 

Is this a legit one or just a scam email? plenty of those.

If its real and you have confirmed this actually took place with paypal, they are the only ones who can tell you the exact reason.

No buying airsoft or even real guns, ammo  etc is not grounds for default and automatic suspension (if they actually enforced that they won't have any customers left). The only difference is that on certain items, pp buyer protections don't apply.  That is a left over from when ebay changed its policy on weaponry and ebay owned PP. They have since split.  I guess they just never bothered to fix the eula or maybe its just to give them legal coverage.

What is grounds for suspension is massively skirting the fees system by sending money as gifts, filing a lot of claims against sellers or as a seller having a lot of claims filed against you.

You need to get somebody on the phone and get a straight answer. There is a reason...

Also you need to educate them the Czech republic isn't another pussified euro country that doesn't trust its citizens with pointy objects. That also could be an issue. Ignorance is abound and some idiot might think you are smuggling prohibited things against "eu law" << lol. Do check on that if that triggered it. It has happened in the past

From my personal experience any problems with PayPal that arise frequently are usually associated with the notes/messages left by the Buyer/Seller...

I had some grief before after a couple of notes included the words 'Glock 17'

But again as mentioned above, whatever happened seemed very automated...

Local team near me was hosting a milsim event in which one team was "Al-Nusra Front" or "Hezzbollah" or some such. Players were told to indicate which team they were going to play for when they sent in their payments to register. Sure enough, someone put payment for "Al-Nusra Front" in the Pay-Pal message and the team had their account suspended.

LAWL

Ok, case, finally settled.

In the end it has turned out it was connected to received reimbursment (for almost 4 years old case) for goods I have never got from the guy. But as he changed his paypal email, paypal was not able to connect it and blocked mine

What I don't get is, how the hell it could take paypal 4 weeks to have their claim service inform me the real reason so I could explain it. And just after I was rough to them, they told me. Unbelievably *suitcasey* customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vietnammarine, on 11 Aug 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Ok, case, finally settled.

In the end it has turned out it was connected to received reimbursment (for almost 4 years old case) for goods I have never got from the guy. But as he changed his paypal email, paypal was not able to connect it and blocked mine

What I don't get is, how the hell it could take paypal 4 weeks to have their claim service inform me the real reason so I could explain it. And just after I was rough to them, they told me. Unbelievably *suitcasey* customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that makes no sense.... I've filed against people who are not on pp anymore and haven't had this happen. they are clearly making this up to avoid saying they *fruitcage*ed up. once a case is decided there is no future interaction between you and that entity. there is no link either. *suitcase* even if the person deletes his PP account (not sure they can) while the case is pending it still wouldn't affect yours

I heard about that too:

Some years ago an airsofter bought a Glock 18 from a private person and paid /paypal. He added that note to the payment: "Payment for your Glock 18"...

And he had the same results... :)

After he wrote back to paypal and told that it's an airsoft gun and not a real firearm, they stopped the suspension.

I feel the same about like when old Mihail Kalasnyikov was blamed about AK...

"Guns don't kill peoplepeople kill people." 

Archived