GHK SIG SG 552 GBBR

renegadecow

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be so picky with full travel nonsense, you need to rejoice that there's a new gbb that's not the same m4 or ak :)

That being said I'm confident with ghk in the near future for their g3 and mp5, since they got burst down packed.

#hype

I respectfully disagree. The game is gas blowback. If the bolt only goes back half way then it's half baked.

Yeah, the Sig 55X series of rifles is one of my favorites, and to get a limited edition GBB is awesome...but I'm getting more upset every time I see it. It's hard to explain, but the principle of it having this realism flaw is what hurts. It's corner cutting in a premium product.

But if W&S made it work, why are we speaking about this as if it's a death sentence? Until we get hold of one it seems a bit premature to assume it can't be made full travel?

Hopefully, GHK do it sensible and make it full travel but shipped with a short-stroke buffer. That would be the best of both worlds.

That being said, I'm sure they won't, because if there's one thing that airsoft manufacturers love to do, it's not be sensible.

It's so similar to their AK recoil setup, gas tube recoil spring aside, I would be shocked if they changed it.

The GHK AK system can't be run without the short-stroke buffer. You have to replace the bolt and hammer or it will lock up on the first shot.

my own thoughts, based on experience building my own gas blowback guns are this. You can have full travel or you can have a realistic firing rate. designing around green gas or even co2 is a measure of give and take. the pressures of any magazine containable gas are nowhere near the pressure of the gasses developed by smokeless powder.

Green gas can only perform so well. you have limited volume and you have to use that appropriately. it does not have enough pressure in a loosely fit system (aka removable magazine) to compress a firearm strength return spring. So, a compromise has to be made somewhere. you can have a full travel bolt like the WE AK, but have an unrealistically slow rate of fire (and the we ak is very slow comparatively), or you can cut down the distance the bolt moves and maintain the realistic rate but lose out on some aesthetic bolt travel.

It seems maintaining the rate of fire was what ghk decided to do.  And it has its merits.

the recoil buffer probably cuts down travel when its firing .heres a comparison of the we and real steel.

we aksu:

real aksu:

Edit:

this is the fg recoil kit. from the video it clearly both cuts down the travel, and still doesnt have the correct rate of fire (still too slow). it speeds it up 25% by cutting out the last 25% of travel. Theres no cheating physics.

Just checked to be sure. with FG-Airsoft's recoil buffer, Map Pro (propylene) gas, 16ºC, 93% humidity at sea level.  

Custom built WE RPK RoF: 683 RPM 
Real RPK RoF: 600RPM. Real AK-74 RoF: 600-650RPM. Real AK-74U RoF: 730RPM.

The kit reduces travel distance by half a centimetre, but provides about 35% faster RoF by noticeable increasing the bolt forward movement speed

---------

edit: Here's the video by FG-Airsoft, just so you can check the speed.  My results were slightly higher, probably because of the fine tuning and the shooting conditions (primarily the gas used)

https://youtu.be/LMq-6bb5tHA?t=3m14s

@Brigg

Nope. The FG buffer or my DIY urethane buffer puts it at normal travel which is about 1cm from bottoming out. Remember, a properly tuned AK isn't supposed to have the back of the bolt meet the trunnion or you get receiver death. And mine does 700rpm. Though the AKS74U (real) runs much faster because it ditched the rate delayer on full sized models. No way getting there except maybe stiffer springs and higher pressure gas.

Archived