12 years away, now ready to play!

Scoob

Hi all,

It's been 12 years since I last went skirmishing, so a lots changed and I'd appreciate some input.

Back then there were only two main makes people I skirmishes with would use Tokyo Marui and classic army, Marui was by far the most popular.

Now there's a dozen different makes and I've got no clue what's good and what's not.

Putting aside the metal VS plastic issue:

What make of aeg's are internally reliable out of the box and ready for skirmishing?

Are Tokyo Marui still one of the best for reliability?

What makes should be avoided?

Thanks for help.

I've not played since Dec '11 and in fact just realised my last post was in Jan 2012. Recently just "checking the scene" it seems technology has changed quite a bit too...AEGs with electronic programmable burst shot triggers and with wireless communication to your smartphone on configuring your busts and provide stats. AEGs with blowback simulation (EBB?), etc. for those where cold climates put a damper on GBBs (is that still the case? I know 5 years back one needed heated mag pouches to maintain gas pressure).

For gearbox reliability I think most AEG makers are still cast but within specs seem reliable? CNC gearboxes are available for DIYers.

For me, all I'm happy is that I still can fit in my combat pants :D.

At least you can fit into your pants!! I've had to buy all new gear.

Thanks for the replies.

I use to do fairly well with TM's so I'm going to stick with them for now and I spoke to a couple of retailers that recommend them.

I'm going to my first skirmish since 2005 ON Sunday so I'll check out what others use (aeg or Gas).

Thanks for the advice.

As far as GBBs go, there was a major leap forward, with GHK and WE leading. I've used WE GBB guns as my main skirmish weapons for two years now (416, G36 and MP5) and they work fine even in 2ºC weather (we don't get neg temps over here... :) ) .

Just don't do crazy mag dumps and you're fine.

In AEG terms there are a LOT of things going on, and I'll let the resident gearheads talk about that.

Welcome back to the looney bin. :)

I really have to conclude that in the last 12 years there isn't much innovation for the money you pay. We've had a few nice examples, but by now you'd expect every us$ 400+ aeg is a next gen. It's 9 yo tech... It should be called 'current gen', but noooooo.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

It does depend what you want out of a replica, what kinds of games you want to go to, how much you can spend, and home much time (if any) you want to put into maintenance. I like the idea of GBBRs but a combination of expense to run (magazines are kind of a killer, price wise), and the fact that you have to spend time maintaining them, puts me off; I really want something I can take to a game or event and just use, not something that gives me grief. That's not to say they aren't very fun to use, as I say, depends on your priorities. Tokyo Marui still offer great out of the box usability and reliability though there are cheaper options that are pretty solidly reliable these days. I currently run something in the CYMA 040 range and it's fine, the spring was downgraded by the shop, and it puts out a very consisten FPS and shoots well with a very decent hop chamber and barrel out of the box.

The GBB's certainly look the part. I'll look into them, but I was put off (admittedly a long time ago) by leaky Mags, and their ineffectiveness in less than hot temperatures.

With airsoft money is not an issue, can't put a price on happiness.

Really appreciated all your replies.

I guess I'd prefer to have a low maintenance one for now.

It all depends on our budget... 

Marui GBB is rock solid with good recoil and will operate all year round in the UK: £700 easy with mags

The KWA ERGs are rock solid, again have recoil and my personal favourite AEG. About £400 with mags but it takes standard AEG ones as well.

If you want stupidly long range, I've never had anything out-gun my King Arms FAL and Thompson. £300 to you, guv.

And finally, if you want uber-reality, the D870 Dominator steel shell ejecting shotgun is just... oooooh. £600 with 30 shells and import tax etc.

So I got my first skirmish in 12 years under my belt. It felt good to pull the trigger and hear "hit".

I used a TM AUG which held its own and performed rather well.

There were over 200 people on the field today on I'd say 99% had a either an M4 varient or a G36c and most seemed to be aegs so I'm still none the wiser on GGB's

I did the whole M4 look when I first skirmished so I don't really have a desire to return back to it.

I like the Thompson, the Galil, the sig 552 /553 and the Mp5SD.

I currently have an TM Aug, TM Aug hi-cyle and an ics MP5A4.

Any great to get back in the saddle. Thanks for your input.

To be honest, there's no reason you can't skirmish with a regular TM AEG, hops tend to work really well even if the FPS is a bit low by most people's standard (this matters far less than many imagine). Go GBBR if you really want something that functions realistically and don't mind or actively enjoy regular maintenance. From experience, I really like having a go on GBBRs, I would be interested to see how I did with one for a day, I generally shoot low caps now anyway with my AEG, my main concerns with GBBRs are the accuracy (though I understand this can be greatly improved with aftermarket parts), and random outs mid game. I know it's hackneyed but with AEGs, once you've got something from a reliable manufacturor, it's really just erganomics and aesthetics, I like AKs, they're what I'm used to using, some people hate them. Functionally an AEG AK isn't going to be particulaly different from an AEG AUG, same gearbox, inner barrel is a bit longer on the AUG which can improve cylinder compression efficiency, then there's bullpup vs standard rifle layout which is completely personal, mag changes will always be slower on a bullpup, this is less of an issue if you run hi-caps.

Archived