WE Desert Eagle (Licensed by Cybergun)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a long idle of license hell the WE Desert Eagle is finally here! Only the black one tough as of now. It comes in this box.     The inside is pretty plain. Altough the thing that holds the p

After deciding I wasn't happy with the finish on the silver one I had, I went and ordered another. Here's a comparison of two WE Desert Eagles plus a real stainless steel one. tRaIn LiKe YoU

Alrighty, I just received the KimPOI grips. No fitment was necessary; there's about half a millimeter of gap at the very top on one side but it's not really noticeable. Overall they look and feel quit

Posted Images

On 3/12/2019 at 4:07 AM, malcolmg said:

They don't put long inner barrels in them because it would upset the balance of the gas system and raise the FPS.

Well, unless you start swapping parts in the nozzle, the mechanics of firing and recoil aren't affected. The gun will dump gas out the nozzle until the rocket valve seals, then it'll start to recoil. If the gun is overvolumed, as most gas pistols are, then you'll get higher FPS with a longer barrel, but that's it- Marui doesn't do that simply because they have to abide by Japanese legal limits.

The main reason most pistols don't have easily-swapped barrel length is that the tilting action on most short-recoil pistols means that extra weight on the barrel can start to mess with things. But the Desert Eagle has a fixed barrel, so that's not a problem. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more aftermarket external bits for the WE already, actually.

In related news, I was able to get real-steel Alumagrips to fit on my WE with minor modification. No more creaky, wobbly plastic when the grips are now solid slabs of aluminum torqued to the frame. I'll post some pictures in a couple of hours.

Edited by CatgutViolin
On 3/12/2019 at 2:07 AM, malcolmg said:

5 hours ago, CatgutViolin said:

Well, unless you start swapping parts in the nozzle, the mechanics of firing and recoil aren't affected. The gun will dump gas out the nozzle until the rocket valve seals, then it'll start to recoil. If the gun is overvolumed, as most gas pistols are, then you'll get higher FPS with a longer barrel, but that's it- Marui doesn't do that simply because they have to abide by Japanese legal limits.

The main reason most pistols don't have easily-swapped barrel length is that the tilting action on most short-recoil pistols means that extra weight on the barrel can start to mess with things. But the Desert Eagle has a fixed barrel, so that's not a problem. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more aftermarket external bits for the WE already, actually.

In related news, I was able to get real-steel Alumagrips to fit on my WE with minor modification. No more creaky, wobbly plastic when the grips are now solid slabs of aluminum torqued to the frame. I'll post some pictures in a couple of hours.

Well... I email tonthe AST and they said they will make a steel outer barrel, But it would be more cooler if they make a 10 inch barrel made of good quality aluminum with a full picatinny raíl on top

Got some pics. Turns out the wood grips I ordered from KSD Grips arrived today too.

Fitting the Alumagrips only required filing down the tabs on the inside that secure to the frame, so that the magazine doesn't contact them. This took about ten minutes with a steel file. Fitting the wood grips was significantly more involved, and required reprofiling the inner 'step' that fits them to the frame.

mwMnzuo.jpg

KYruzh2.jpg

Also, there's an issue I've noticed on both grips- they don't fit flush on the back, demonstrating a small gap. I suspect the aluminum frame of the WE is slightly thicker than the steel frame of the real thing, causing the grips to stand a little bit farther off than they should. On the Alumagrips this isn't a problem, because of the aforementioned tabs holding the grips to the frame, but on the wood grips tightening the screw caused the grips to bow outwards. I've solved this for now with adding spacers to control the width- it's not optimal, but it might be the best I can do short of having some grips custom-made.

JD4EIxx.jpg

These wood grips also appear to be unfinished, so I'm going to rub some Tung oil into them and see if I can get a bit more luster.

I also have the KimPOI Biohazard Lightning Hawk grips on the way as well, because I enjoy wasting money on pistol dress-up, so we'll see how those compare.

• Like 2

I spent a while buying in Kimpoi grips and handling people’s designs - make for them.

You would not believe how different each set was made. Same mould, sold for the same gun, completely different fit to frame on each one.

Out of about 30 pairs I sold, 2 or 3 didn’t require me completely filing and dremelling them to actually fit.

Love the exterior work, but fit wise they are a shoddy product sadly

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Got Wood? said:

I spent a while buying in Kimpoi grips and handling people’s designs - make for them.

You would not believe how different each set was made. Same mould, sold for the same gun, completely different fit to frame on each one.

Out of about 30 pairs I sold, 2 or 3 didn’t require me completely filing and dremelling them to actually fit.

Yeah, I have a pair that I got for my Dan Wesson that took some fitment. I have a set of rasps so that's not too big a deal.

1 hour ago, HamletV said:

Men there's a wood grip made specialy for the WE deagle https://www.octagonairsoft.com/product-page/kimpoi-x-octagon-hand-carved-hexagon-50ae-for-cybergun-we-desert-eagle i don't know if they are better than the one you buy

These are the ones I ordered.

I'm mostly just interested to see if being designed for the airsoft gun makes for better fitment than the generic wood grips. Guess I'll find out. I like having options in either case.

I will say that the Alumagrips feel the best so far, because they're significantly thinner than the stock, Hogue, or wood grips. Being thinner makes the gun a lot more comfortable to hold, even without any checkering.

Edited by CatgutViolin
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I just received the KimPOI grips. No fitment was necessary; there's about half a millimeter of gap at the very top on one side but it's not really noticeable. Overall they look and feel quite nice, with much less flex and play than the stock grips.

Cln28JY.jpg

6yPdW7o.jpg

So, while I'm here, a word on performance. This past weekend I had the opportunity to use the Desert Eagle at a zombie event at an outdoor field. I used this, loaded with .28s, as a backup to my KSG, and against human (armed) players was successfully able to engage with one-shot-kills on targets in cover beyond 100ft away. My longest kill was a measured 180ft. The red dot greatly helped with aiming, and provided a clear sight picture to allow me to adjust fire when the wind diverted BBs off-course. Against the zombies, the slightly sluggish cycle time didn't prove to be a problem at all.

I originally bought this gun as a gimmick, but I am absolutely in love with it. Swapping the barrel/bucking out for a Crazy Jet + Maple Leaf Autobot made a world of difference, and for a total of ~$170 it's a steal. My only complaint is that there's no good way to holster a scoped pistol (I used a kydex holster with the top sliced off for this game- worked well, but not as secure as I'd like), so I'm currently learning how to work with leather to make one of my own.

I hope to have some video up soon showing how well it performed. It's night and day compared to WE's older offerings.

• Like 5

The broken part is the one that the barrel locks the outer barrel, right where the pin holds the hop up chamber, i think it broke cuz i shoot it toooo much!😁

The 1st pic is the broken barrel now fixed, i put some eléctrica tape in some places arround the chamber, and the big pin do the rest, and now the chamber is súper right

The 2nd pic (like in the real one, not the gas piston) is to prevent that metal piston hits on that hole on the outer barrel, i glued a piece of rubber, like 1mm thick, and so far i have no problems

IMG_20190328_134027.jpg

IMG_20190328_134143.jpg

Edited by HamletV
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, Got Wood? said:

Kimpoi Grips are made by Cottage Industry in Thailand, Ie loads of people make them at home with basic hand tools and had fit them to a sample gun.  Some will fit your gun perfect, some won't.  Theres a video on there FB Page that shows this. That is why they are cheaper than RS Grips.

Edited by BigAl
  • 4 weeks later...

Little bit of an update. I bought a second Desert Eagle, this time in black, and swapped a few parts around. I also used a bit of Tung oil finish to liven up the wood grips I previously had.

Fo0riiT.jpg

So, here are a few things I've noticed, having two guns to compare:

-The magazine catch profile I mentioned at the end of the previous page is a design flaw. Fixing it is straightforward, just use a steel file to make the angle at which it engages the incoming magazine a bit shallower, then polish with sandpaper. Leaving it stock means it will take significant effort to slap the magazine past the catch, which will cause peening to both the magazine and catch over time.

-On both guns, the hop adjustment screw felt like it was bottoming out before I was getting any hop. This is, again, an engagement angle problem. It hits the hop arm at a very steep angle, so instead of pushing it down, it just gets stuck. I removed the grub screw from the hop unit, filed the end of it to a shallower profile, and again used sandpaper to polish. Upon reinsertion, it got to the point where it felt like it was bottoming out (when the screw contacts the arm), but after another full turn it engaged properly and deflected the hop arm.

-The hop bucking has been mediocre on both. Get the Maple Leaf, and might as well get a new barrel while you're at it. The Maple Leaf Autobot (60-deg) bucking and Crazy Jet 6.04 (138mm) are perfect, and cost me all of $43 shipped from WGCShop. Whether you keep the stock barrel or get a new one, shim it with electrical tape so that it's snug- there's a bit of play by default.

-Buying a low-power nozzle from KY Airsoft was a waste of time; they sent me another full-power one. To reduce the FPS, glue a piece of tubing into the front of the rocket valve to reduce its inner diameter. This restricts the flow without causing backpressure like the restricter disks, so you get better gas efficiency and a slightly quicker/harder cycle.

-The thinner Alumagrips (left) make the gun easier to carry and fire one-handed, but the contours of the KSD Grips wood grips (right) make supporting the weight of the red dot sight easier. The KimPOIShop grips fit well, but they look a little toy-like compared to the KSD ones and haven't stood up well to use. If you're looking for better grips and willing to do a minor bit of work (just a bit of filing), I highly recommend the Alumagrips.

That's all for now.

Edited by CatgutViolin
  • Like 2