PCU Level 5 - replicas and alternatives

Gigueand

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a 2008 75th Ranger Regiment impression and I'm looking to top it off with a Level 5 PCU soft shell.

For those who aren't familiar, here's a link with a ton of info.

The issue I'm having is that both the ORC and the Patagonia Level 5 PCUs are 1) expensive, 2) hard to find and 3) impossible to find in size "small."

I've been able to find Patagonia Level 5s in medium for around the $150-$190 mark. Which, to be honest, is fine, but if I'm going to spend that much on a jacket I'd like it to fit appropriately. I'm 5'6"... 

So that leads me to another option which is to purchase something similar like a Condor Summit soft shell or a Helikon soft shell in the appropriate color. Both look fairly similar to the Patagonia L5 PCU.

Can anyone weigh in on these options or suggest alternatives? I should add that I'm a bit hesitant to pick up something like the Allwin or Emerson/TMC/Clone versions.

Thanks!

Helikon PCU lvl 5 is my teams std uniform. I know several ACM manufacturers made replicas with decent quality. Airsofpeak had them and some other stores in HK too. All PCU are hard to find as the re-enactors move to more current kit. We wait for 1 month to get Helikon kit as they make them in small runs escp. in grey colorz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird, I definitely saw a fair few come up.  Presume this is a bit too pricey? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ORC-Industries-PCU-L5-Level-5-Soft-Shell-Jacket-Small-DEVGRU-SOF/141994988929?epid=874245383&hash=item210f8f9581:g:Yw8AAOxyBvZTRvJf

If you've not already I'd get on the gear sale facebook groups as well, tons of stuff in those that never goes on ebay.

Depends on usage and how accurate of an impression is desired really.  Obviously it's a tough pill to swallow right now, but I've found and seen a big difference in softshell fabrics between airsoft brands and the real thing.  The bitterness of the high price will fade in short order whereas the "if only I'd got.." can linger for a long time.

As I say there's tons of groups it's worth taking the time to dig through because just now and then you absolutely do strike gold and it's worth the time.

Orc ones let ok better than the Patagonia ones for sure.

Of course, back in the day I bought a Patagonia PCU jacket and my OCD meant I had to buy the matching trousers later on...

...incidently, what is the colour matching like between Patagonia and Orc?!

Archived