Western Arms?

chris u'5

But they did, and probably still do to some degree. As Allizard said, WA did try the TM market and failed. They did once own the whole 1911 market, even if they were a little pricey.

A lot people wait to buy WA guns second hand for a better price, some guns are so collectible, they resell for more than what WAGunsite asked for; then there are others that no one cares about. There is a whole market just for stock WA parts on auction sites. Things like Heinie rear sights sell from 30 to 50 USD (More if they have the white dot)! WA knows their market, so they know 1911 fanatics eat up guns from new and old gunsmiths (Like Swenson, Hoag, Clark and Chow), video games, film and manga. While TM takes up the rest, with a whole aftermarket support.

Allizard: That makes sense, I'm not really well versed in manufacturing.

Yeah.  Currently are different markets now though.  I don't think a potential TM buyer will take a look and see what WA has to offer in the 1911 area tbh. I've bought a few Magnatechs for parts and the exteriors have been shockingly cheap.  Nothing like a proper WA.  I can see why that failed.  Back in the day, premium WAs were £130 shipped from HK.  I think that was a perfect price.   £30 less than what a TM goes for here now. 

I bought my first WA in 2009. It was a Bob Chow 1.5 ver, and it was 260 usd shipped. I felt bad that I spent that amount of money on a pistol. Then I received the gun and realized they are special. Are they outdated today? I don't think so, only let down is the hop up. I always shot my stock WA on propane, never had a problem.

Hitman: was it you who made the the Silverballer out of the WA Kimber? I remember getting more into WA's because of that. And Dumborat's Springfield V12 article turned me on to WA's too.

Fixed hop and a positive pressure nozzle in the BBU are two outdated systems. Anyway WA pistols should be in a display cabinet, not out on the skirmish field. Plus I would not use green gas with them, they are designed for weaker duster gas and while you may not get a cracked slide yet, it will happen also the lugs on the inside will get chewed up much faster especially if it has a steel outer barrel and chamber installed.

I won't fight you on anything you said, because it's true. But man, I love my WA's. Just can't put them in a cabinet, I have to shoot them. Ironically, all WA 1911 come with aluminum chambers and barrels now, but they have exact dimensions around the lugs as the slide. I've seen aftermarket chambers eat an aluminum slide lugs.

They are still great performers, once you have the right weight BB's. And you can import lesser models (like Wilson Magna's) from Japan for a decent prices (compared to them now, atleast).

I bought my first WA in 2009. It was a Bob Chow 1.5 ver, and it was 260 usd shipped. I felt bad that I spent that amount of money on a pistol. Then I received the gun and realized they are special. Are they outdated today? I don't think so, only let down is the hop up. I always shot my stock WA on propane, never had a problem.

Hitman: was it you who made the the Silverballer out of the WA Kimber? I remember getting more into WA's because of that. And Dumborat's Springfield V12 article turned me on to WA's too.

The Bob Chows are fantastic guns.  Cracking choice for your first WA.  I seriously regret not picking one up.  And the Prime kits for them too.

Nah.  I've never done a Silverballer from a Kimber.  I had an AMT Hardballer for a while but sold it with a Prime kit.  It was difficult to shift back then but now people are paying crazy prices for them.

Yup, Dumborat's guide inspired me a lot too.  I've probably read through it a bunch of times.  My first WA was the first Wilson Gilded V12.  WA's half arsed attempt at the Face/Off V12.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived