WE G3

calbur20

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can attest to how easy it is to bend the WE MP5 cocking tube.  Also, their welding for the cocking handle isn't straight.

But hey then again, my friend's 1970 G3 fell over from leaning against a chair onto concrete and the bolt seized up against the deformed receiver.  It was just a millimetre but it was enough to seize the action. I took a screw driver and forced the receiver apart.  

I do hope that with the G3 the front sight is brazed onto the barrel like the real one since that would make it free float.  And hell I also do hope that its brazed on properly and zeroed correctly unlike the HK G3s, which was often brazed on at an angle. 

Those drum dial sights are so bad the windage zero changes as you adjust it.  Just a terrible design.

I do hope that with the G3 the front sight is brazed onto the barrel like the real one since that would make it free float.

Completely off topic, for which I apologise, but I was under the impression that while a free-floating barrel was great for RS, it's bad for accuracy in airsoft?

Trying to figure out how it could be worse for airsoft in my head... the only reason it'd be bad would be if it's loose? Then again if it's loose it wouldn't matter if it was free floating, if everything was tightly fitted, I can't imagine it affecting accuracy in any meaningful way for airsoft, it's not like we have barrel harmonics. 

Oh right in relation to the inner barrel, I was thinking the outer barrel :P but yeah, since the inner barrel so super thin you wouldn't want it dangling on its own the whole way.

Yeah. I may have enough misunderstood and assumed about the inner barrel!

Anyway, I shall now shut up :)

Completely off topic, for which I apologise, but I was under the impression that while a free-floating barrel was great for RS, it's bad for accuracy in airsoft?

It depends. 

Barrel whip exists for both airsoft and real steel.  The harmonics and whip is dependent on length of barrel, density of material, calibre, and support.  Any vibration would affect how the barrel whips during the firing cycle.  The thicker the barrel, the less whipping you would have.

For airsoft, you also have the added problem of having a separate inner barrel to outer barrel, which, depending on how well it is in contact with the outer barrel, can also "whip".  

So in airsoft you have potentially 2 harmonics in action.

If the inner barrel is fully in contact with the outer barrel, then there is no inner barrel whip.  However then depending on how its mounted on the receiver, or the barrel material is soft you may still get barrel whip there.  (e.g. ICS M4 DMRs, great first round hit, but terrible for full auto fire).  If you have a platform where the barrel is rigid and is mounted on the receiver with no undue pressures (e.g.  CA SA58s), then accuracy will be fantastic.

However then comes hollow outer barrels.  which is a totally different story.

The inner barrel has to sit in perfect alignment to the outer barrel alignment with no pressures directing the barrel off alignment.  If there is pressure, the inner barrel often warped which causes a LRB effect on the projectile (off to one side).  This pressure often comes from:

- The hop unit being mounted in a certain way, pushing the barrel to one side (Most bolt actions: BAR, KJW, Tanaka, and most AEGs etc)

- Barrel end cap fixing to the barrel and pushing it off the alignment with bore axis (Most bolt actions with bull barrels). 

- The spacers, as they are often spongy and not regular in size. 

While spacers do prevent barrel whip, the pressure it puts on the inner barrel makes accuracy consistently inconsistent.   Best way to allevate inner barrel whip without spacers is either to use a really light and/or rigid inner barrel, hardened aluminium, or titanium nitride, or stainless steel.

Kudos to WE for doing just that. Otherwise, the GBB market would be a very dull place... :)

Also, I've been checking out zib militaria... Wood stock and handguard for G3, 69.90 euros, black, green and OD ones even cheaper. Tasty.

As a side note, has anyone else noticed that these previews invariably take place in an office that is completely trashed? How could someone even work in that mess?

G3 FTW though... Wonder how it will stack up to the LCT construction-wise.

A clean desk is a sign of someone who doesn't do any work.

• 4 months later...

Archived