Review: Taiwangun CM.072 (SR-15/25 style)

Hello members i wanna show you guys my newest asset, from Taiwangun, since there isn't much to find about the CM M4 style replica's, i thought it might be interesting to review this replica.

About CM:

It isn't clear yet, how these brand's are related to each other , but i understood CM is an home-brand of Taiwangun and can be either a Cyma or a P&J (wich on its turn would be an A&K) ?

That being said, CM is located in the low/medium price range, like Specna foR example, where Specna as about 50 different M4 models, CM as a bit more variation, they have AK's, M14's, shotguns, snipers, smg's, and aep's. 

About the CM.072 model:

Taiwangun descript the CM.072 as an Mk12mod1 model, this is not correct !

In fact its a more an hybride between the SR-25 and SR-15, a creation of Eugene Stoner (designer of the original M16) 

I wil try to keep my explanation succinctly, just study on the picture -i made- below and it al wil be clear, i highlighted the main features.

• SR-25 and SR-15 both are made by Knight Armament, the SR-25 is a 7.62mm rifle and is besides the base for the US Army M110 ( USMC Mk11 designation) an issue of clarity   :D  The SR-15 is kinda "little brother" of the SR-25,  chambered in 5.56mm and AFAIK not in military use. 

• Mk12's are made out of M16's by the Crane division (US.Navy gunsmithers) the SPR/DMR concept is an invention of the US Navy SEAL's during operation Dessert Shield, on the dessert battlefield they get encountered with longer ranges, than the Vietnam jungle, and the need for a rifle that was better suited for longer distances. Thats why we sometimes hear about a SEAL recon rifle or SPR (Special Purpose Rifle)

image.thumb.png.1940c37a33cad29f48416505

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

In the box: 

The CM.072 comes ( as usual ) in a cardboard box, with foam, in the box we find :

• CM.072 replica with suppressor
  • 9.6V 1200Mah NiMH "nunchuck" accu
  • High cap mag in Magpul style
  • Battery charger
  • Taiwangun keychain

image.thumb.png.750ab40e219c4006a37577be

image.thumb.png.1cabd193266c3480d010e324..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the performances:

As i usual do, i have made a test configuration, loaded with 0.3 gram Specna BB's , ligned up with my laser bore sighter, on the target 12m further, by testing al my replica's the same way, i get an overview and can compare them , i had made a nice video, in witch i demonstrate the fps, and even a soundmeter Db app to test the suppressor, but the Moron i am, the camera was't running and now the replica is dissasembled.

So guys you wil have to believe me on my word  :D

The CM.072 shoots OOTB 413, an419 fps with 0.3 gram BB's, the suppressor gives no noticable Db differences, altough the replica sound pretty "dull" the replica is besided acompagnied by a testsheet from Taiwangun.

I started with a couple of shots, with the hop fully opened, en then i started adjustng the hop until the hits came into the center of the barrels axis , the CM.072 shoots groups of about 6cm ! 

Pretty satisfying OOTB in my opinion !   

image.thumb.png.b502524535b7c2c2fdc4420b

image.thumb.png.f8660ab419b695b2d7c42695 image.thumb.png.cb625e09e0c97125f71d07c9

image.thumb.png.07524a8f3edf15c23b2358ad

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the externals:

When we take a closer look at the externals, it appears this replica as some quite "correct" details, starting at the front:

• A nice detailed SR-25 style suppressor, spring loaded on the barrel, and foam filled
  • Under the suppressor a straigth SR-25 style outer barrel
  • On the barrel an SR-25 style gasblock, with an SR-25 front flip sight
  • A nice KAC SR-25 free float rail, wel made -without markings- nice detail : are the plug welds of the receiver adapter !

image.thumb.png.02c132fe8e8a8d5a0e6bed42

image.thumb.png.0aeeb0cca8b289bd466c64cf

image.thumb.png.7df63190335ca2fbaebfa757

image.thumb.png.9c525ee3820b416109f4d651

image.thumb.png.ced0c1a164171454ad53eab9

kEREVc5.jpg

About the receiver:

So far i only spoke about SR-25 parts, but what the CM.072 actualy makes a SR-15 is the 5.56 M16/M4 receiver, this is wel made, and finished , engraved with a P&J logo, also there are some accessories mounted witch are not milspec. this is not realy realistic  :unsure:

• Ambi mag catch, with at the right side an "Odin works XMR" extended release knob, handy but at the other hand, these large buttons are also easily unwillingly pressed in
  • Fire selector in "Battle Arms Development" style, turns & clicks smootly.
  • Enhanced "Troy" trigger guard.
  • "Magpul MOE" grip, with a rigid motor base plate !
  • Dummy forward bolt assist
  • Dummy bolt plate can be can be "catched" withe the bolt catch, for better acces to the HU unit
  • Fixed stock in G&P stijl with adjustable length, contains the accu.

Here some demo video's   :)

image.thumb.png.70b93696d9c36b9cb1a7a033

image.thumb.png.d65d805af10db935a785a9f0

BnC41NU.jpg

dLESYOQ.jpg

E4wP01r.jpg

QytZF6W.jpg

DoBuJSf.jpg

The KAC 600M rear flip sight is the most realistic version i saw in airsoft version !

Elkk1gX.jpg

CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE CM.072 PHOTOALBUM HERE

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dissambly phase externals: 

• Upper receiver get separated from lower when the pins are slided out, these are not screw-locked but are secured with a spring and clip.
  • The rail can be very easily removed thanks to the KAC system with the nut.
  • The rail nut sits behind the barrel nut, en can be loosed with a Colt barrel wrench.
  • The gasblock is secured with a little allen screw in the bottom. 
  • Fixed stock , first remove the buttplate assembly, and the the central screw can be removed, same as an AEG stocktube, altough you need an even longer screwdriver ! remarkable there are two Tamiya connectors , and a fuse box between the cable 

vuu8rVj.jpg

EmRiORg.jpg

EmRiORg.jpg

TbtVnAw.jpg

3c1MZEC.jpg

ScbI0Jb.jpg

50pODjA.jpg

ZCxJFvQ.jpg

Tp4RwLR.jpg

CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE CM.072 PHOTO ALBUM OVERHERE   

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dissasembly phase internals: 

The CM.072 is equiped with a so called reinforced gearbox, here the main features:

• Unmarked motor,  according to Taiwangun spec's this should be an high speed motor ?
  • Gears turning into 8mm cross sloted bushings, and are more or less shimmed.
  • Brass full cylinder.
  • Plastic cylinder head with double o-ring
  • Plastic nozzle head without o-ring
  • M120 spring
  • Ball bearing spring guide
  • Piston with plastic teeth, only the last tooth is metal.
  • Radiust, reinforced gearbox frame, plenty greased.

ovfodbO.jpg

YRJO8ED.jpg

yH9klMQ.jpg

QWtAYN2.jpg

LTuuEER.jpg

quzJDlE.jpg

CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE CM.072 PHOTOALBUM OVERHERE

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Pro's & Con's 

+ Price                                              

+ Nice correct externals

+ 9.6V NiMH battery included

+ High cap mag

+ Adjustable stock length

+ Suppressor included

+ Ball bearing springguide

+ Accurate OOTB 

- No markings on the rail

- P&J logo unrealistic

- Nice externals but nevertheless Not a legit SR-15 nor a SR-25

- Access to battery compartiment too narrow.

- Basic gearbox internals

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

That's al folks, hope you enjoyed my review, it was objective, and informative !

CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE CM.072 PHOTOALBUM OVERHERE 

It is a Cyma v2 gearbox exactly same type used in cheapy CM513's etc....

The gearbox is re-enforced at rear so needs a little modding to fit in 13:1 or 12:1 sets

(the spur hits the arc, so needs to be modded to remove a small arc so that spur clears)

It is a v2 but uses a v3 spring guide in there ???

Also the tappet plate has some cut outs up front where the box is re-enforced at front

(similar to a Lonex tappet plate, can use a SHS tappet with some modding)

(Clear tappet plate is a bit loose on red SHS nozzles - try the new black SHS nozzles with plastic lug in center or replace/mod a SHS tappet) 

The safety lever arm has a screw that needs removing prior to opening the gearbox - bit different

The trigger switch on Cyma's has a larger eyelet hole for mounting screw

(trust me they are a tiny bit different to std SHS trigger switches but nothing major)

Cylinder head looks to still be a single o-ring type to me and quite loose fitting in cylinder

Piston- probably has the heavy alloy piston spacer in there about 7gms or so compressing the spring about 8mm

(suggest losing that heavy metal clump - actually replace the complete piston, the piston o-ring may not be great either)

By the looks of it they didn't bother to correct AoE, they took some time to radius the corners & used a v3 bearing spring guide

Added a bolt catch and the top or right side on gearbox is a slightly slightly different casting....

There should be a trigger "tang" stop cast into it but maybe this is a revised casting on a slightly different mould ???

(yup very slight variations by rear window & under/over the cylinder externally confirming slightly different mould imho)

(there is extra strengthening on cheap box on cylinder area - so much a bare piston won't fit through cylinder window)

Gears are likely to be std 18:1 or 18.65:1 Cyma gears - the number 1 on the bevel gear confirms this (4 AR Latches)

It is a revised Cyma v2 re-enforced gearbox with radius, bearing guide, bolt catch and missing trigger tang stop

Slightly qwirky but a strong gearbox that should last a while

Motor could be a 28tpa - well that is what is fitted to the cheap plastic budget Cyma's & not very quick at all

(might have used a different armature & better magnets but the cheap motor is quite dire tbh)

Different motor grip - seems like a magpul type clone with a metal motor plate

(but still using self tapping screws than M3 bolts to fit plate to grip - careful they don't wear/strip if disassembling gun often)

for comparison against the budget guns....

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.france-airsoft.fr/forum/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D198758&prev=search

Edited by Lord Fuckem
  • Like 1

If you look at the description on the TG site you’ll see a lot of the internals have been changed already .

Thirty is cut’n’past from there

‘change of the internal part, important think all part are reinforced:

· M120 spring

· steel gear on slide bearing 8mm

· directional piston head

· piston head on bearing

· reinforce cylinder head

· Hi-Speed engine

· Hop-Up chamber compatible with Guarder and TM standard’

• 1 year later...

Hi! 

Sorry for my English, because it is not so good.

Well, I have CM.072 in Brazil, but I'd like to upgrade it to have more than 420fps or up to 450~470fps.

To play with bbs 0,28g is not so good and 0,30g is very heavy to 420fps.

Maybe to change o spring to M140, but I don't know if cm.072 suport this spring.

Well, is there anyone help me, please?

My e-mail is "i.bryan@hotmail.com".

Thanks

Bye

Edited by Bryan Silva

Well, for one, 420 should be fine for .28 and .30 too. If you have proper compression and no air leaks, an M140 should get you there, but you will need to get a nice torque motor first. A real nice one.
Many other things could go wrong, like exploding bearings and so on, but none of that is specific to the CM.072.

The spring itself won't be a problem.
If you know how to maintain and adjust the gun, open it and be sure everything is shimmed properly and that you have bushings or ceramic bearings at least in the sector gear and the load side of the spur gear. Bevel will be fine with regular bearings.
You will also need a quite strong torque motor and I would suggest a piston with a full metal rack and adjusted for the AoE (angle of attack).

Hiya all,

I'm the owner of this model of gun and have done a rebuild of the gearbox with a m110 spring. The compression of the gearbox is totally fine and the gearbox itself as been rebuilt correctly however its losing fps firing at 240fps. I'm wondering if it as something to do with the nozzle in the hop up unit or the hop up unit itself.

If the compression of the piston/cylinder assembly is not leaking, then you have cylinder head to nozzle and nozzle to hop rubber left. The hop unit rarely causes problems with compression.
When checking for leaks in the cylinder, always check with the nozzle at the most extended position (where it would be when firing). If that's fine, maybe the nozzle is not sealing properly with the hop rubber lips.