Tokyo Marui SGR-12

https://imgur.com/a/3Clpc

When Tokyo Marui released their first AES (or Automatic Electric Shotgun), the AA-12, I was planning to get one. But somehow I never got around to buying the gun, even though it looked super interesting. When Marui announced their second fully-automatic shotty, the SGR-12, I made a promise to myself: "this time I'm gonna get one!"

Based on the Thor's Hammer seen on Resident Evil 7 DLC No Hero, it's a fictional yet cool design. Kinda reminds the Origin-12 shotgun, maybe a little at least. Equipped with a long rail on top for optics, flip-up style iron sights, and three M-lok rail pieces, it sure is a tactical and modern looking boomstick. The pistol grip is very ergonomic and resembles HK416-style grip, alas fire selector is not ambidexterous. The stock looks like it might me rectratable, but it isn't. Neither is the cheek rest. Focusing on the stock: there's one BIG problem (or, should I say, small?). The battery space is super tiny, the smallest I have ever seen on a big gun like this. My 8,4v 1400mah mini-type battery didn't fit. Neither did any of the lipos I had in hand (the gun is not, according to the manual, supposed to be used with lipos, mind you). I fixed this issue by removing the butt plates inner part, and instead of the teeth-mechanism it uses to lock in place, I put a screw to the bottom part of the butt plate. Now I can barely fit my smallest battery in there.

I purchased the gun with the new 3000-round drum mag, which also fits to the AA-12. It's an expensive but very well made magazine, it uses four AAA-batteries to wind the bb's. It works well and looks cool!

Performance-wise it behaves exactly like the AA-12, it just looks different. Three adjustable hop ups gives you chance to adjust the spread of the bb's, it really works and is very 'shotgun-like' when shooting. The gun is really heavy, with the fully loaded drum mag and battery in place it's almost six kilos. The body is made from metal and polymer, and it doesn't squek or wobble or screech or anything like that.

Oh, the standard mag it comes with is also a new design! It has a window which shows fake 12-gauge shotgun shells (like in the drum mag). Older AA-12 'Sledge Hammer' -mags can also be used with the SGR-12.

If you have any questions I can gladly answer them. I would rate the gun a solid 8/10, a big con being the super tiny battery space.

post-52167-0-18006500-1509468055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Typewriter

Nice little review matey , one thing , could you elaborate on the manual saying not to use lipos !

The manual is mostly Japanese, but there are pictures depicting a lipo and a warning symbol. It says over and over again to use only 8,4v regular Nimh-battery.

I too will probably switch to lipo at some point, provided I can find one small enough to fit in.

• Like 1

I've never put one through the chrono; it's factory TM so CQB safe everywhere. I took one to bits, but didn't strip the hop. There is an additional SGR12 being released, the Thor's Hammer edition, and that has a slightly different hop. Instead of the two outer barrels being slightly angled out to give it some spread, all three hop straight up... bit more of a nasty assault rifle than a shotgun :D  I'm not sure about the range... 40m? It's odd though... effective range on an AEG is normally less than maximum range, but with these you get three chances to hit, so effective range is much closer to max range. The trigger is surprisingly snappy, and you can lay down a pretty significant amount of fire with ease.

The only thing stopping me from souping one up is the availabiltiy of pistons. If they start to pop up, then I'll jam a bigger spring in one, and modify a BTC Chimera to fit. Not necessarily to increase the FPs, more so I can short stroke it and increase the ROF, or more to the point decrease the cycle time. Can possibly accomplish that just by using a higher performance motor with active breaking and ROF control, to stop pre-engagement. But yeah, need a line on spares first.

Wow, it's indeed really small... I wonder if there will be space in the stock itself to do some DIY battery space.

Nope, the FET-thing and internals start immediatly (or so I came to think). By removing the inner part of the buttplate you're able to make it a little roomier though, but then you have to secure it in place by other methods.

I first used a 8,4v 1400mah mini type -battery, but the red light starts blinking (meaning battery low) after only 100 or so shots. Maybe because the gearbox needs a lot of power? I hope the 3000mah large type -battery gives it a longer life span.

I'll post pics when my new battery pouch arrives and keep things updated after some gaming events with this.

It has a built-in mosfet which will fry on an 11.1V lipo.

Not 'fry', but it prevents the gun from working. A red led lights up and you can't use the thing.

I received my large type -battery and a battery pouch! Now I can actually use this gun, for more than a couple of shots.

HS6CVUU.jpg

I got a little carried away and ordered accessories for my SGR-12. A red dot -sight, a lens cover for it, a vertical grip and some rail-shield thingys. Since my battery pouch is Olive Drab in colour, I thought it would look cool if the accessories were OD too. I'll post pics when the stuff arrives and they are attached.

I got the accessories! The G&P red dot -sight works well and looks good, so does the Element stubby vertical grip (really comfy to hold). Alas the rail-covers (made by FMA) were utter garbage so I decided not to use them.

tkpkBKh.jpg

Edited by Typewriter
  • Like 1

I decided to do a little paintjobs to the drum magazine and red dot -sight. Since all my other accessories on this gun are Olive in color, I thought it would look cool if the rest were too.

First I applied masking tape to areas I didn't want any paint to go:

Goyx3mD.jpg

3bdgR4L.jpg

ZjPWDod.jpg

Then I applied the first coat of paint, and let it dry for a couple of mins. Then second, third and fourth (many thin layers evenly):

3UYflyL.jpg

MMSwT7C.jpg

Then after the parts were dry I removed the masking tape and assembled all the little unpainted parts back together:

pUa5u3W.jpg

2JPafcu.jpg

rORHF7f.jpg

67X6CLc.jpg

The Olive is somewhat darker in reality, my phone's camera brightens everything up.

Like jal3 is saying, the problem is that the battery compartment isn't "square shaped" but NiMH battery shaped, so a LiPO battery won't fit.

I mean a LiPO battery with the same dimensions as a NiMH battery. A smaller LiPO battery should do the trick. At least that's what I hope, because I don't use NiMH's any more... :D