'Bed in box' memory foam mattresses - Anyone a convert?

hitmanNo2

I'm looking to buy a new mattress and I'm toying with one of these start ups that do the vacuum packed memory foam types.  I've always stayed away from memory foam mattresses in the past as I gather they don't regulate heat very well so I've stuck to pocket sprung mattresses.  These in themselves are a minefield when you're looking at £1K for something decent which might not be right and then you're stuck with it for X years or try and shift it. 

I've seen a few of these new companies are advertising improvements in heat dissipation/retention e.t.c. along with hybrids with pocket springs which has caught my attention.  Add the fact that you can try them for 3 months and then get a complete refund no questions asked if you don't like it.  It's win, win.  No chance of that with a regular mattress/bed shop.  Even Ikea and Dreams only allow you to change once within a set time if you don't get on with it.  And a complete refund is totally out of the question.

So, anyone bought into the likes of Emma/Casper/Simba/Eve/Leesa//Bruno e.t.c?

Me and my other half were about to do the exact same thing. Then realised we should decide on a firmness first. So we went into dreams, just to try them out. We ended up getting a double mattress, 2 new pillows, and an 8 year accidental damage warranty for £150 less than we were going to spend on just the mattress.

Seriously, give dreams a shot

Yeah, I checked out Dreams.  To be honest the whole 'Was £1600, now £999' e.t.c. stuff put me off.  Plus the fact they suggested I could have additional money off if I asked.  I mean, that stuff was never selling at max price.  I'm just unsure of the real value of their goods when they have such massively inflated prices.  I also found the sales staff pushy.  Wanting me to order right now which I wasn't prepared to do. 

Did you go for a foam one or pocket spring?

My wife and I went into Dreams and made the mistake of going "lets try the most expense bed"  and there after all of the others felt terrible..

Ended up buying a king size Tempur with electric adjustment, and it was one of the best purchases we have ever made.  One thing most people don't tell you, is that memory foam is lovely to sleep on, but due to the nature of foam, it less good for other bed based pastimes.... The lack of bounce makes makes moving around the bed more of an effort, but supports you when you are asleep.

If you do go for an electrically adjusable, just be aware that they using have a divide in the middle, thought this is brilliant if you sleep with a bed hog, as its a clear demarcation of your side!

• 1 month later...

We have a Signature Sleep 12" foam twin mattress for the guest room that I ordered from Amazon. It's pretty awesome. It does retain a bit more heat than a springer but not so much to have ever been an issue. The only minor issue I had was a bit of a chemical smell being emitted for only the first few days, which my wife said she couldn't smell. Other than that, I absolutely prefer it over our 4 year old queen spring mattress so much so that im ready to pull the trigger on a king size foam mattress.

We have a hybrid.

Foam over pocket springs.

I got it from dreams and the haggling was a nightmare.  I was in there for over an hour.

Got it under half the marked price in the end.

Lee is right about the horizontal jogging, your knees sink in too much.

I made a terrible mistake when I bought my bed in that vein, there is nowhere to hook your toes into at the foot of the bed, I have to do a 180.

The other thing I don't like about 100% foam mattresses is the sitting up in bed reading experience.

Your bum sinks in and you feel like you are driving an F1 car.

Archived