quick question for the AK gurus out there.

Mike Obrien

So as my personal favorite rifle (AUG) project comes to a close my itch to always have a AK style rifle is getting to me more and more.

This rifle: Almost fits what I want perfectly to a T, literally the only thing that is off about it is the stock, the stock has that downward slant and that to me makes the AK really uncomfortable to aim down. But that type of Railed hand guard, pistol grip, the barrel length, the railed dust cover, and the adjustable stock is everything I want. But that one thing kills it... So I was wondering it would be possible to swap that stock off (or at least the buffer tube) to a kind that comes straight off the back and not a slant, if so what brand do you think would fit?

If the prior isn't doable then this is my next idea: This cyma is similar, same hand guard, same pistol grip, but the barrel is slightly longer, the dust cover isn't railed, and it is the fixed type of AK stock, but you can see the lower receiver is flat and not at a downward slant so I could potentially swap out the stock.

So of the two which is more doable? Thanks ahead of time.

Also what brand midcap AK mags are good? First AK so I haven't made a stock of them yet. I prefer the 5.45 style ones that are straighter then their 7.62 counterpart.

Get a PT-1 or a Magpul MOE/Zhukov stock. Those have level combs.

Edit:

AR stock adapters are also level

For the APS version? Now the other thing is the APS is slanted on the lower receiver where the stock joins the body(which as far as I know isn't accurate to a real steel AK right?), so doesn't that mean I would need a specific adapter to fit? As for what adapter will any real steel adapter work or would I have to see how APS designed their lower?

APS is a bit of an odd duck. The receiver and stock from what I can see is proprietary. The rear of the receiver is indeed slanted like those that accept folding stocks and the rear trunnion is very different from an AKM/AK74M. Not sure if APS makes a stock adapter for it and other stocks won't fit it without modification. Might be best to look at a different maker for a wider parts compatibility like LCT or E&L (GHK or WE for GBB).

As Cannonfodder says, for build quality E&L can't really be beaten. Gunfire did a video torture test of the the E&L AK-74m and it withstood literal beatings and someone standing on it while it was held up by the barrel and stock. If you don't have the cash then CYMA's CM040 range are really good for the money, but don't expect the same level of durability. Still, steel receiver, solid gearbox, and a good quality Hop for under £200 is a good price. Things like the gas block, etc. are pot metal, though the quality of that pot metal is better than it was, dropping them generally isn't a problem, just don't try to use them as a ladder. With magazines, MAG are cheap and durable, though the base plates sometimes get lost, and there's not much you can do when the springs wear out. CYMA make really solid mid-caps for AKs. G&P make awesome but relatively expensive AK-74 mid caps, they're also the most realistic looking.

Edit: A quick note on AK-74 style magazines. Most airsoft AK-74 magazines end up looking too long in the gun, this is because they're the same length (more or less) as real ones but don't have feed lips like the real things, so they sit about 1.5 CM lower than they should do. MAG and G&P correct for this by making their magazines a bit shorter than real magazins, so when they're inserted in the gun they actually look the right length. CYMA's Bulgarian and Polish style mids are also shortened to compensate for this but then you have a non-standard looking magazine. The Polish style ones are very well built, being the same stamped metal as their AKM mid caps, the Bulgarian ones are kind of brittle and can crack, which is a shame because translucent mid caps are handy. How much you actually care about the length of your AK magazines is of course entirely personal, though obviously it does make going prone a little harder if you have a longer magazine.

I would love to own and E&L as after having seen the torture test video awhile ago and just consistently hearing great things about them it makes them very appealing, but unfortunately their price tag doesn’t.

Base rifle being in the high 300s or 400s before I even set it up the way I like to, that’s 600+ I don’t have to spare.

So assuming I go with the Cyma, will any AR stock adapter work on it? Also where can I find a railed dust cover? Aside from an APS one I found for 40 dollars most I find online are for real steels with a 150+ price tag.

IIRC CYMA dust covers are steel. They now make a railed one that affixes to the rear sight block so it should be reasonably stable. No idea about general compatibility of stock adaptors but again, CYMA do there own so probably use one of those for simplicity's sake, or just get one of the many CYMA AKs that come with one installed.

After some research I find consistently that it isn't effective to use a railed dust cover because it wasn't designed for such a thing and optics won't hold zero effectively. Now this may not be a problem in airsoft, but I am just curious if anyone has anything to say about this? Also if this is really the case what was done to the AK-12 to remedy this because those come with a rail front to back so they must of changed the design some how.

Also another question more related to a real steel, I've noticed some designs have the gas block and the front sight separate while others have them merged. Is there any advantage to such a design functionality wise?

Rail dust covers that hinge at the rear sight only lose zero when dropped while the cover is open because of how thin the pin is. Non abusive use should be ok. For the AK12 a new rear sight block is made with a beefier hinge to address the issue. If you want something really durable just get a decent side mount or a ZenitCo B-33 mounted on a B-30 or B-10M.

The G&G RK74E that I have has got a railed dust cover. The bottom of the button is slanted, so the further out it goes the more it pushes the cover down, to the point where it touches the body. A strong enough spring pushing the button will keep the whole assembly quite firm.
The G&G has a hinged cover, BTW.
The problem I met with this specific model is that the vibration in auto would make the button go in, and eventually the cover would open, so I carved a slot for the edge of the cover to sit in. Now it not only won't move, but it's also very stable for a red dot since the cover is now fixed in two points.

Unless you are after a properly russian looking AK74, I think Druid answered your prayers. If you are not sure about the railed dust cover, slap a cyma ultimak clone and a clone T1 or MRO.

Just to give my opinion, even if the E&L is far superior to cyma in build quality, if you don't try to destroy your gun in every game, cyma AKs (cm040 or cm077) will serve you well for quite some time just changing the bucking, barrel, and nub or at least that's my experience owning both brands

Regarding mags, cyma are the best ones out there, not only are cheap, but they are varied, tough and with a good round count (150)

Trust me, i'm a chairsofter :lol:

EDIT: forgot to add, G&P midcaps are a good value as well, if you get the 10 mags pack, the price is not so much higher than cyma's and finish is quite good in the "Plum" version

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up going with the cyma, found out the aps dust cover drops right on rail and all so that part is taken care of.

Though two issues, one: How the hell do I get the flash hider off?

two: Apparently this thing is a VFC clone... the stock is attached by a upper tang and a rectangle that sticks outward that channels the wires back. I can't seem to find an AR stock adapter that would fit this, does anyone know of one or has modified one that works?

a small portion of the stock does go into the receiver at a slight slant but as long as the tang that the stock screws into there is a rectangle sticking off the back as well for the wires.

http://www.gasguns.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1705

On that link the 7th post by dicey has a picture of an AK with it's stock off, the upper picture is how the cyma is designed.

Which one did you buy? I believe LCT and E&L make M4 stock adaptors, although I'm not sure about compatibility I think they are a bit ugly =S

Another option is to get a cyma body with the m4 tube already installed, like in their "MAGK" version, or are those aks from JG? can't remember, sorry, I know I got one of those magks, got the cool parts, made a new gun with the leftovers and sold it cheap ^_^U

Archived