Process to refinish Timberwolf frame after reshaping beavertail?

Wingman

After months of searching, I've not been able to locate any of the later model Socom Gear Timberwolf pistols or frames with the rounded beavertail for another project gun.

I did complete one pistol using one of the newer versions that I picked up about 6 months before they stopped making them. It came out really well in FDE and I wanted to do one in black. Cant find one any anywhere, new or used.

I do have a "like new" black original model from when Echo One was selling them. It has the older squared off beavertail which I guess I can carefully re-shape to match the newer frame.

My question is: How do I re-finish the area where I've done the cutting and sanding for the new shape? I've heard mention of using "very fine" stainless steel wool, but I've never attempted anything like this and I dont want to make a mess of it. I'd like to end up with as close to the same satin finish as the rest of pistol if possible.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Well, I think I found out where all those Timberwolf frames are going, I was going to "pull the trigger" on a new EMG Salient Arms  BLU when I was looking at a load of pictures on the Evike web site.

The frame appears to be a modified Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame. Those frames, I believe, were made thru WE. The kicker was that the "safety/serial numer plate" on the EMG BLU appears to have t nearly the same, if not the exact same, serial number as my original Echo 1 Timberwolf frame.

While the new pistols frames appear to be based on the original Echo 1 frame with the squared beavertail, it has had the corners chopped a bit as well as adding the re-contoured trigger guard and the stippling of the grip. The backstrap appears to be the same shape as the old Echo 1 with just different surface markings and made in brass instead of plastic. The finger grooves also appear to have been removed and covered with the stippling.

The magazine release appears to be the same general shape as on the older frames but made from brass.

There were rumors that the use of Lone Wolf Timberwolf frames were being used for the real-steel pistols as well. If not, they are darn close.

So it appears I can now take that old Echo 1 frame and with a little work, add those features I like on the BLU to the frame.

Duplication of the BLU slide wont be possible, but Guarder has several slides and barrels that should look good on that old frame.

Probably saved a little money as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those for sure look close to the Timberwolf frame but the changes look like they've opened a whole new mold vs. modifying the older frames.

Molds aren't a permanent item so maybe if the old one was worn or damaged that's why the supply dried up and they went to the expense of creating a new one.

Archived