• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that out of their entire lineup, the AR-15 type platform would be the safest option. It’s one that has been constantly improved upon.

I thought I’d be safe with their 416A5. To be fair, it’s alright actually.

There’s only a few things that could be refined to enable it to sit among big league of skirmishable GBBR’s.

I have to be honest, I’m lusting after that G3. But I bet the WE version would be the one to go for. Their MP5/Apache is dynamite!

Bought the latest iteration of their UMP 45 mags last time I was in Taipei back in 2016. 

Still had the same old *suitcasey* mag design that made it self destruct after a year. 

417 users in my country also reported leakage in the bottom of their mags because of the same *suitcasey* mag design. 

So no, I ain't buying anything VFC makes that holds gas. 

Nothing wrong with the HK 416 mags or the *P*Mags from VFC.  But yeah VFC platform does have some issues.  They have resolved a lot of it for their newer 2017 M4 series (forged receivers, etc).

VFCs are good, and can be made to be skirmishable. The only model I couldn't make to function was the Hk417 (great for hot weather no good below 15*C)

Also VFCs are dimensionally accurate to RS.  I even managed to fit a VFC G36K flash hider to work on a HK243 :)  Had to reprofile to 14mm -ve but cheaper than buying HK parts.  

Cant help it, im a fan of the psg. Forward assist and all. Lol. Had a couple of creaky TM ones back in the day as well as a whole bunch of sg1s and hk51s and i dont miss any of them except the PSGs. My friends had made msg90 style guns, never quite stuck on me. It was PSG or not. Do or do not there is no try. *yoda voice* lol

MSG90A1 would be more interesting than a PSG1 imo

Wait, you're using airsoft for pressure bearing parts?!?

Been using steel airsoft flash hiders on my RS for many years.  Cheaper and available.

Of course not all flashhiders would work, I would never put a UFC/VFC KAC triple tap on a rifle as it would explode, but I would use a G&P triple tap instead as they are far better constructed.  Due diligence is required.

I use vipers A1/A2 birdcages straight on 1/2 x 28mm as they fit, and they work straight and directly.

I use SRC brakes on AKs, SRC/WE slant comps on AKs

I use G&P comps on ARs, CA brakes on ARs, as well as angrygun comps

Best one so far is the angrygun 762socom comp/brake, fitted onto a 7" SBR, takes away the flash and provides upward compensation/braking as well as no concussion to the user or his buddies.  Much better than the G&P triple tap.

Most VFC parts are not gonna take pressure, only selected parts.

But yes am looking forward to the G3.  See how it compares with my WE SVD-M

Flash hiders doesn't take impact, so hardening/heat treatment isn't required.  

Again, if you know what you are doing, its fine.  Many AR15s use alu gas blocks, but they make airsoft ones out of steel, but most don't have the port for the gas to go through.  All it takes is a drill in the right place and voila you have a working steel gas block for 1/5 the price.  Inokatsu front sight posts have gas ports drilled in and can be directly fitted onto an AR15.  G&Ps make their gas blocks out of hardened steel so drilling can be a pain, but fully functional gas blocks can be made, particularly if you want .625" front sights on GAU5A builds.

Meh, had thousands of rounds through it, thats not going anywhere.  You should see the original flashhider the HK243 came with at the store, THAT was flimsy, it wasn't even the right thread.

Given the years I have been making guns, there is a lot of RS elitism and fear mongering around how strong firearm parts have to be.  Sure, for rifle calibres the bolt heads, locking lugs, barrels and breeches do need to be of a particular type of metal + hardened, as do pistons and firing pins, but everything else, not 100%.  Hammers can get away with adding hardened SS inserts, or using hard polymer, the bodies can be cast alu.  For flash hiders a number of considerations must be taken, things like muzzle pressure for the barrel length and calibre, as well as the flash hider material and construction.  Since most flash hiders aren't baffles like the KAC triple tap breaks, erosion from temperature and gas is minimal.  

Pistol calibres, you can get away with Zamak or T7075 + weights depending on chamber pressure and slide/bolt carrier design.   I can also add hardened surfaces onto pistol bolts to take better impact. The trick is in tuning weight of slide + recoil spring + hammer spring tensions.  Same principles as tuning a GBB.

I'll defer to your expertise in building real gnus, though I wouldn't necessarily run them on real gnus myself.

Back to the OP: VFC GBBRs are a pile of hot unmentionables in most respects - especially their MP5 line. I'll watch from a distance but I'd bet on the WE version being a more solid performer.

People I know in HK who have more money than sense have picked up VFC 2017 Spec M4s which have wobbly outer barrels, hop up units that aren't assembled correctly out of the factory and bolt locks that don't lock bolts, which is frankly unacceptable in a replica which costs more than £500.

Still had the same old *suitcasey* mag design that made it self destruct after a year. 

Oh man, I've been really enjoying my UMP9, although it hasn't seen a lot of use, I keep falling for VFC stuff despite knowing they are pretty wallhangers, but so far the UMP9 has proved to be more than that, let's see how much it will self destruct as time goes. I have heard nice things about the new VFC ARs and people seem to be able to play with them okay, let's just hope they continue (albeit rather slowly) to up their game. 

Archived