Leupold D-EVO (China)

renegadecow

Saw this just now as it pays to check AliExpress at random intervals. Price is pretty steep but do consider this is for the set with an LCO, there's a lot of glass going on in the D-EVO, and it appears they got the reticle right.

HTB1abrneRUSMeJjy1zjq6A0dXXa9.jpg?size=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Dual-Enhanced-View-Optic-D-EVO-Reticle-Rifle-Scope-Magnifier-with-LCO-Red-Dot-Sight/32833499594.html

This particular seller, however legit, has put up shoddy looking product pics in the past. Looks to me like a demo unit that's seen its fair share of abuse. I'm skeptical after what I went through with the early version LCO: bad zero range,meh turrets, loose internals making it turn off with recoil. But they have made improvements so I'm guessing whoever made these has applied those improvements on the D-EVO as well.

Hmm ok.  Well I may investigate.  

I am looking for a set of light optics for a heavy SBR range toy.  Must have flexibility to go from 0-200m and 200-500m, must not be heavier than 400gs.

Tried pretty much everything old school (T1, M2, Doctor, Holosun, Eotechs, SpectreDR, 1-4xs, C-more, etc),  They are either too "blunt" for >200m, too heavy, or doesn't hold zero.

Tried a number of 1-4x short dots, total weight is still around the 700g mark with mounts, which is the same as a SpectreDr.  The other thing is length profile which on most short dots are the length of the upper and then some.  Its like putting a scope on an MP5K, and on this SBR it is ridiculously long.

SpectreDRs are quite good for small guns like SBRs, as they give a small profile, excellent eye relief without taking too much rail space.  However it is still heavy.

The issue is my old SBR has a CMMG piston kit, which is heavy. In order to have better accuracy while using a piston kit, I used an HBAR for better rigidity with the piston.  Then in order to balance the HBAR I used a UBR stock.  To prevent bolt bounce that occurs on an HBAR, I end up using an H3 buffer.  All these adds extra weight but is necessary.  Current empty weight is 3.6kg/7.9lb, which ironically is still lighter than most AR15 AEGs.

Its an ok platform if going on a sustained firefight, doing mag dumps and still maintain accuracy, but its on the heavy side for MOUT drills, and since its an SBR the muzzle velocity is not quite suitable for a marksman rifle.  3/4 size targets at 300m are easy, but haven't been able to stretch its legs. 

Will take a look at the LCOs, but any other suggestions are welcomed.  

<As you can tell I am not shy of putting airsoft stuff on my Real steel, since they ARE range toys, would rather spend a fraction on optics and still get the *same* accuracy than overspending for a toy I am only playing with 12 times a year>  

And BTW the Vector optics scopes are pretty good.  I have a 3-9x mil-increment adjustment scope, mounted on my M1A w/EBR and so long as you locktite the thumb screws they are all good.  

I don't think the LCO's glass will hold. Mine got cracked after a bb hit the polycarb protector, bent it (about 3mm deflection) and touched the glass. It was a 420fps max field so assume maximum but at 20m distance and some of the force already absorbed by the polycarb, it didn't take all that much to break it.

Sounds like a lot of work. 

I modded a CM SpectreDr to be 556 worthy, which was a lot of work.  While it adjusts, it wouldn't zero to the rifle (max adjustment was still too low), and the adjustment bracket would wobble so it had a shifting zero (it held zero, but would move left or right depending on finger pressure).  I had to lathe down the vertical dial, and flattened the material on the adjustment bracket (with a hammer) so that the tolerances are tighter.  Got it zeroed with a tight group at 100m (on a 7" SBR).

In the end, one of the things which with airsoft optics is, the bullet drop reticle doesn't really relate to actual rounds impact at range.  Well, actually even a 556 bullet drop reticle wouldn't work between a 20" A4 and a 7" PDW.  So I took it out to 300m, I had to get an observer to watch my fall of shot before realising which drop-line I had to use to hit the target.

But yeah I will take a look at the LCO and D-Evo combo and see.  It doesn't look too expensive to test, and if I can make it work the rewards are good.

Actually, would it be at all possible if an RMR is used instead of the LCO? :P

A friend got the D-EVO and I got to try it last night.

Surprisingly nice image quality with crisp reticle, weight wasn't too bad for 6x optic, the "look down" needs a bit practice.

Didn't measure but eye relief was like 2-3 inches, since it's intended to be mounted behind a reflex so you're not going to move it too far/close anyway.

Very small eyebox, in all 3 axis, you'll need consistent shouldering of the weapon to be beneficial of the system.

Archived