General sector gear clip question (Ares LMG)

blobface

Need help from AEG experts here, so my tappet plate snapped on my Ares LMG so I figured I should do a general upgrade as that gun stock sounded horrible and the ROF was slowly than I can shoot my pistol, after upgrading the motor (ASG CNC U-35000) and the tappet plate, the gun sounds great with decent ROF but no longer feeds, so I put on a sector gear clip which made it feed 2/10 of the time, upon inspecting the alignment, even with the sector clip in the nozzle doesn't seem to be retracting all the way to the back, so I printed another sector gear clip that's bigger (was judging the size of the clip based on looking at where the nozzle is at its most further back position), it now feeds 8/10 of the time. 

I have never had to worry much about feeding issues due to tappet plate and nozzle travel time in the past as I rarely play with AEGs let alone one that fires on full auto with decent ROF. I have only increased the outer diameter of the sector gear clip in my modification, but what if I increase it clockwise as well (the blue section)? Before I open the gearbox again and go through the trouble of printing another one, what are the potential issues of the proposal here? And how much can I push the blue around until it causes problems? 

Sector-gear.jpg

Thanks.

Does your replacement tappet plate have the right geometry as the original unit?  Did you get the right tappet?  I.e standard versus high speed which has a different geometry on the back where it catches the nub.

Also...how's the length.  Tappets can vary by +/- ~1mm in length and that affects timing also.

Do you definitely have the correct Air Nozzle?

Is your Mag feeding consistently (I assume it's a Box Mag?)?
Could there be something in the Feed system causing a temporary/intermittent blockage?

I'm not familiar with the ARES LMG, can you remove the Piston Spring, and turn the gears over by hand to check the travel of the Nozzle?

You can increase the Radius of the Delayer Piece to the point where the Nozzle is almost (but not quite) contacting the Cylinder Head.

As for extending the opening (the Blue addition), as long as the Nozzle enters the Hop Rubber before the Piston is released, it'll be fine.
You can check that by cycling the Gears by hand with the Box open, just have everything in place but the Piston Spring.

Yeah, the nozzle is stock and it's already very short, in fact, it's so short I can't seem to find an after market part, might be bespoke to Ares LMG. 

It's possible that the mag is causing the problem, but unfortunately there's nothing I could do about that mag as it's entirely bespoke and feeds off the power of the gun instead of having a separate power source, it's a clever design (if it's working), but so far I can't blame it just yet.

When I cycle it by hand with the increased radius piece, the nozzle is retracted all the way to the back, I will exaggerate the blue section a bit further around and see if I can increase the time of it being opened..! 

Okay regarding SGC's. They're a crutch for feeding. Do NOT use them in performance guns. They're ok for sub 20rps guns and if you can't be bothered working with tappets etc, but they have massive downsides.

Do:

Use a flat nozzle

Find a shorter tappet plate (wing closer to sector)

. . . I will exaggerate the blue section a bit further around and see if I can increase the time of it being opened..! 

As jal3 said, the Delayer Chip (that's what I know them as) is not the best solution for feed problems.

High ROF AEGs (maybe not the ridiculously high ones)  manage ok with the Standard Single Pin, at the most, I'd probably think of adding a second Pin.

There's probably something else causing the issue.

You say 'decent' ROF, but what are we talking about, >25RPS?

Just to clarify, it fed OK before the Tappet Plate failure, and you replaced the Motor at the same time you replaced the Tappet?

Did you touch/alter/change anything else?

Could something have been damaged/distorted/dislodged during the work?

Not doubting your abilities, just trying to troubleshoot it logically.

Anyone that's done a decent amount of internal work on Airsoft stuff will have had a D'OH moment or two, no matter what their skill level!   :whistling:

Archived