Most ready to Change M4 Platform?

Got Wood?

Just a quick question:

I currently have a TM Recoil. Front wired, and I like it very much. However I plan to play less often nowadays, and it’s a lot of money dat there in 1 gun.

I recently played with my LCT AK and had just as good a day with it, which leaves me thinking I could be doing more with the money that’s tied up in that gun.

The only thing that appeals to me about the M4 is changeable upper receivers being an option. I was looking for that before but found it a nightmare finding uppers across brands that fit solidly.

So here’s what I’m toying with finding:

11.1v ready (but most likely use 7.4)

Rear wired stock tube

Upper receivers easy to find (preferably A1 and A2 available)

Not picky on ammo

Standard styles preferred (not a fan of key mod etc)

Does such a thing exist other than in the systema platform?!?

I only really want to change uppers to have different set ups, play with one for a morning then change for the afternoon perhaps, without getting out Allen’s keys and screw drivers to remove bits and pieces

Fair enough.

But if your looking at saving money, one upper in airsoft does all the jobs!

I don't recommend the multiple uppers approach. You will sorta accelerate wear on the body/internals by changing it all the time. You can't really finetune final FPS on both uppers, only one. You can't finetune the internals for both uppers (if you run different springs as well, eg. ICS). You will still have to spend money on accessories for each upper.

In the long run, it's better to have a complete rifle for each purpose.

TM next-gen already does that no? Just as long as it's rear wired... all it takes is removing the receiver pin and the upper slides out along with the inner barrel and hop unit, and thanks to TM's recoil system as long as you've opened the gearbox once, it has a semi-fast spring change system, twist the buffer tube off and then you can change the spring for different power setup if you want the whole M4 / AR DMR thing. 

However, as jal3 pointed out, doing that over and over isn't good for your gun, especially TM's buffer tube thread is made out of soft cheese, so if you do that a few dozen times, it will wear. I can see the cool factor of having different uppers... so just keep that in mind so you know what you're getting into. 

Unfortunately I opted for the Socom, so it’s all front wired, and a real pain to change!

That is a good point on the Wear and tuning. Although I’m not one for spending tonnes on hops and air seal etc usually. As long as it’s under 350, if it doesn’t reach I normally opt for running closer, it’s free

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense like everyone else states but I really dig interchangeable uppers. I am currently building an ar with two different uppers based on the ASG specter series (basically older VFC models). The now long discontinued lineup was based on buying the uppers and lowers separately for this exact reason. It turned out a novelty at best, but since I seldom use my aegs i find the interchangable thing really cool.  

For practicality and price, it doesn't make sense but the coolness factor is high. Standalone VFC uppers can be very hard to find though.

I've also got two uppers for my ICS Sig 551, one old school and one tacticool, but I cant recommend these as they are front wired and and the latch holding them together will wear over time.

but I really dig interchangeable uppers.

I agree as well, I have a few uppers for my GHK, it's just one of those things where you open a case and you have different setups ready to go, even if most of them just sit in a box doing nothing, as part of a kit it's just cool to have. 

When you already have a next-gen that's front wired, is it really that much work to rear-wire it if it will give you what you need straight away? I have a SOPMOD which I've front-wired, and now kinda regretting, so I will be rear-wiring it back soon. 

True. But I have a passion against crane stocks and the like, and that only leaves the MOE rubber spacer mod, which leaves me with a tiny battery. I’ve been longing for better trigger response on it while I use that same battery in my slim hand guards. Plus, at about £500 it’s already the most I can put into a toy gun and sleep at night, let alone spending another £100 plus on a spare upper

Fact is, your limiting factor in the AEG market now is wanting USGI/Classic military M4 styled guns, because bloody nobody's making them and hasn't been for years (yes that's hyperbole before someone gets pedantic with me).  Actually the most readily available electric AR in the Colt M4 style I can think of is the TM SOPMOD.

As you'll know years ago the first and top answer to this question would be G&P; military styles common as muck, tons of uppers available on the market and lots of models wired for lipos in the buffer tube.  Now?  Well I've seen some potential swing back to a few realistic models, but the glory days of them churning out fairly realistic M4s and M16s are looong gone.

If you can't find a military style M4/AR anywhere to fit or adapt to your needs from a brand that also sells spare uppers, then the next thing I'd be looking at is what's closest.  I'm sure I've seen ARs on Gunfire that were clearly using G&P externals and the trades were off on the lowers but the uppers were bog standard because a lot of companies are still using those ancient moulds for their pot metal.  So if the trades were whited on as they often are you'd have a starting point.  Generally however these days it's only the gas, recoil and other niche lines that seem to be making lots of 'proper' ARs.

Being into GBBRs, that's something I guess I've always taken for granted.  Having nice trades.  I couldn't imagine buying an AR15 with some made up/crappy trademark.

Peculiar some AEG manufacture has not identified this gap in the market and dominated it.

That's due to the effect of it being a "collector" item.  Much like cars...6 years after initial release...its junk ready for scrap.  Anything that survives another 4 years starts appreciating in value.

And with that...I got this from WGC from their demo pile.

39962032114_a5b191d06e_b.jpg25801059197_59505d3f92_b.jpg

If you are in the US...I can sell it to you.

If you have UKARA, I can ship to you too.

Archived