Krylon Paint Removal

Greg Head

If this question has been asked before, please accept my apologies. I have just got hold of a handguard & A2 stock for a MP5, unfortunately it has been sprayed foliage green  apparently using Krylon paint (I want it back to its original unpainted finish). I have tried to remove the paint using Detol, Fairy power spray, Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and surgical spirit. The only one that removed a small amount was the surgical spirit. Can anyone tell me the best way to strip the paint without damaging the plastic.

Nitro Cellulose is the fluid you want. However, it is harmful to plastic so if you do give it a shot test it on a hidden area otherwise you could end up with a green(paint)/black(plastic) goo.

Others to try: Methylated spirit, White spirit in sort of an order of weakness.

Tom.

The original Dettol antiseptic has something in it that breaks the paint down. Just using a small brass bristled wire brush on its own didn't touch the paint, but after soaking the handguard in Dettol I've managed to remove 80% of it. In the tub of Dettol there are very small flakes of paint, so I don't think Dettol resolved paint just breaks it down.

Greg

Archived