What does "BB" actually stand for?

Beeingmyself

+1 for ball bearing as far as I am concerned. Although that term is usually for metal bearings.

Possibly carrying over from 4.5mm BB guns (where they are actual metal "ball bearings"). Which I am pretty sure existed before airsoft guns shooting 6mm plastic BBs. And a shotgun size "BB" pellet is 4.6mm.

As far as I know, its a reference to the size of the 'shot'. so sizes like 0, 00 and 000 are for deer hunting, while B, BB, and BBB are for bird hunting. Theres also F, FF, T, TT and a whole slew of number sizes.

Size wise, a standard airsoft BB is actually closest to FF,

Wikipedia has a good, if not complete size chart, as it doesnt cover mechanical ball bearing sizes, just hunting shot sizes, which usually use the same sizing method. Or at least used to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

As far as I know, its a reference to the size of the 'shot'. so sizes like 0, 00 and 000 are for deer hunting, while B, BB, and BBB are for bird hunting. Theres also F, FF, T, TT and a whole slew of number sizes.

Size wise, a standard airsoft BB is actually closest to FF,

Wikipedia has a good, if not complete size chart, as it doesnt cover mechanical ball bearing sizes, just hunting shot sizes, which usually use the same sizing method. Or at least used to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

Actually according to that chart #4 Buck is the closest :P 6.1mm diameter.

I've heard it referred to, by some older Japanese guys, as ball bullet instead of bullet ball. Ultimately though, the order in which your balls and bullets are don't matter. But I'm more comfortable with the bullet being after the ball, if you know what I mean.

Brigg is right.

"The "BB" in bb gun does not stand for 'ball-bearing'. ' BB' began as the size of a shot (intended for use within a shotgun shell) which fell midway between 'b' and 'bbb' types. An inventor eventually began using 'bb' as a single projectile, hence the name."

BB Size is 4.5mm

Archived