Tanaka Browning normal/HW difference

TineS

Anyone who has both and can tell me the difference between the normal Hi-Power, and the heavy weight version? How is the plastic of the normal version? I read somewhere the Tanaka plastic can be brittle?

I am looking for a HW, but found a normal one. Wondering if the normal one is worth it.

Normal ones are light, flexy plastic, frame creaks in your hands as you grip it, but the slide movement is snappy'ier then heavy weight version, heavy weight feels solid in hand and the finish wear's like metal in time with use and holstering. Slides will beak on both if you use high powered gases or propane.

Sold mine ages ago so going by memory, the normal plastic slide was a little more snappy being lighter and it some how survived mixed use of green and 134a gas. I had HW slide crack on me using green, the mixture of metal and plastic in heavyweight versions makes them more brittle in my opinion but I saying that, was never comfortable sticking the normal plastic version even in a form fitted leather holster, it was that creaky and flexy, always carried it in a 58 pattern holster. Another thing to look out if buying secondhand is the mags have a tendency to leak if not left with a little gas in them when stored/ go leaky if not looked after. Hope that helps.       

Archived