Shooters Design aluminium slide and frame for tm p226

sirrith

Since I couldn't find any information at all on this kit when I was looking, I'm going to give a very short summary of my experience with the SD aluminium frame (I didn't install the slide so can't review that). 

Other than the Guarder kit which requires filing of the blow back unit, it's pretty much impossible to find metal kits for the original tm p226 now. I've been running a creation slide with the stock plastic frame, but wanted to upgrade to fill metal. I tried looking for the creation lower frame by itself since that would be the safest and cheapest option, but creation stuff seems to run out even faster than other brands and I had no luck. 

The shooters design kit seems to be milled to me, not cast like the guarder, but I cant verify that. I'm going by the lack of flashing and any other molding marks,and the price which is about double that of the guarder, which is cast aluminium. 

The kit itself appears to be very good quality, the colour is a dark grey, slightly lighter than the creation slide. 

The internals drop into the frame perfectly, no modding or filing of any sort required. However the original screw that holds the trigger unit in place does NOT fit. The screw hole in the SD frame is much smaller than the original screw. There is a flat headed screw included with the SD kit that fits, but as there were no instructions at all, I'm only guessing that this is intended as the replacement trigger unit screw. 

Despite the general consensus that different brands of metal kits don't fit well together, I was extremely pleased that my creation slide fits perfectly on the SD lower frame and the whole setup cycles and locks flawlessly.  

A couple of small issues: the magasine release is a bit stiff in the new frame, I have to make sure to insert the magazine with enough force otherwise it doesn't lock in place and just drops back out. Also the I have a guarder steel decocking lever and that does not always return to its original position after being depressed. It seems the spring is not quite strong enough to overcome the friction between the lever and the frame for the last few millimetres. I'm guessing these problems will improve as the parts wear in. 

All in all I think this is a very good quality frame and I am completely satisfied with it. It seems to be on par with my creation slide in terms of quality.  I cannot speak as to the slide as I have not installed it and do not plan on doing so unless something happens to my creation side, although I may end up using it for a different build in which case I will review it then. 

Photos to come later. 

Here are some pictures.  It's not easy to see, but the creation slide is slightly glossier and darker than the SD frame. The grooves on the trigger guard and front of the grip are very well finished, no rough edges anywhere. Same story for the rail. I was going to upload a few more photos, but I'm getting errors for some reason, so only these 2 for now... 

sketch-1527521659848.png

sketch-1527521732034.png

Archived