Few aug questions

Huxley

I'm looking at grabbing one as my first aeg, and this really sticks out after looking at so many.

But barrel wise, the commando is what 455mm? would a longer tightbore barrel make much difference.

What is the bucking?

From what I've heard they can all have different hopups so any way of figuring out which one, out for that matter any decent cnc hopups about?

V3 gearbox, are they all pretty much the same across guns?

Why do so many suggest a mosfet as being a first mod, I take it spectre MK2 being the best?

Trigger issues, are they an easy fix as is the noise they make?

Gun I'm looking at is a gfc454 from gunfire.

First, my main piece of advice: Don't be scared off by all this talk of modding, get your gat and go have fun playing. Once you've played a few games with it you can better appreciate what you need out of it, how you want to improve it, or even IF you want to. I've seen many players run un-modded guns for years and have no worries in the world.
But to answer your questions specifically:

I've not owned a gfc but looking online all the internal pics look identical to a TM, so it's almost certainly a clone.

For a new player barrel length really doesn't make a difference, it's the top .5% performance that you wont even notice until you've done years of training and are old and depressed.
Tightbores make a bigger difference, as does a good hop rubber.

Bucking is part of the hop unit, it's a standard part across the majority of AEGs in airsoft so easy to replace if it gets damaged.

I've had a few AUGs and every one has had the same design of hop unit, unless gfg is doing something special.

V3 is a standard base pattern of gearbox, but each gun that uses it has some slight variants (like the g36/ak/aug have different triggers, selectors and so on) but most of the time the internal bits of the gearboxes are all the same, even compatible with other gearbox Vs 

Mosfets are not required in most standard setups. What they do is bypass the trigger switch so that it doesn't burn out when using high voltage batterys or high draw motors. There is an argument that they improve trigger response but then we are back to the 0.5% mods. There are mosfets that have additional features, which can be cool but I've never looked into them so can't say more than that.

"Trigger issues" What trigger issues? You don't have the gun, don't assume it's broken already

"Noise it makes" not sure what this means.

The trigger from what I've heard can have contact issues?

I've seen some put in a screw to solve it.

I've heard augs are noisy guns, many seem to pad theirs out with foam.

What sights would you use, I'm thinking red dot with a decent 3x magnifier.

I'm not knocking the aug, far from it I love it's look and the switchable trigger I just like to know what I'm getting into, my intent is to slowly mod the hell out of it.

Trigger contact issues means that it's broken, refer back to my "it's new, don't assume it's broken" statement and then if it does break, contact the shop you got it from.

Putting a screw in is an utter bodge of fixing the contact surfaces, and you shouldn't be needing that kind of 'fix'. 

"Augs are noisy" Well they are bullpup so the gearbox is pressed against your ear, I've used p90 and various SA80s as well as a couple of AUGs and never really felt the need to shush them. If you find it an issue, correctly shimming the gearbox and padding the piston head is far more effective at quietening noise than foam pads, but the foam can add a little extra noise reduction if you feel its needed.

For sights, that is entirely personal preference and changes dependant on what site you're playing at. The sights on my aug right now are the only sights that I own and the AUG is the only gun with a pic rail on top. (Coincidentally they are a fake eohtek and a flip magnifier :P)

I do quite like the aug, it's a great platform for all sorts of builds, but don't feel the need to mod it from the word go. Play a few games to see what you want out of it. You can go in some different directions, given the standard airsoft parts that exist today. Plenty of options.

True, handled my first TM 416 devgru which was another one I fancied.
Too heavy I'd soon get tired of lugging it around.
But I'll at least be converting it to r-hop and cutting those grooves in the switch as some games are semi only, and they won't allow mosfet semi needs to be a switch.

But I am loving cqb, running in guns blazing getting shot to hell.

Sure I could be a sniper, but that's an easy life.

Whilst I agree that enjoying the game is an important aspect of this hobby and nobody should feel the NEED to upgrade, especially with the OOTB performance of many AEGs these days, I can also say that the mechanical side of things can be just as rewarding as playing.

I always try to keep a bone stock something to ensure that I always have something that I'm confident will always work (I'm also a snob so buy mainly TM and poor so I mainly buy second hand, so any TM that's been through a few tens of thousands of rounds is pretty much not gonna break in my experience)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, ED-SKaR said:

Mosfets are not required in most standard setups. What they do is bypass the trigger switch so that it doesn't burn out when using high voltage batterys or high draw motors.

Not true I'm afraid.

Any AEG will benefit from a MOSFET (and I'm talking simple, single MOSFET Switching Units).

Doesn't matter what Battery you use, or what Motor is fitted, the Contacts will arc/spark every single time they're disconnected.

A MOSFET will also give you more life from your Batteries, i.e. more shots before needing recharging, up to twice as many, depending on the build.

You'll also notice a slight increase in ROF, and if that's not your thing, you can use a lower voltage pack.

Trigger response is another benefit, and I'd argue that's a bonus no matter what your level of skill or experience.

If you can solder, you can make your own for around £7.
If you want Passive Braking, you need a second MOSFET.
Have a look here . . . 
http://www.cerberusairsoft.co.uk/Mosfet/
Without the Braking function, you only need the 'N' channel MOSFET.

schematic_final.jpg

Good choice on the AUG by the way.
I never used to like them, until I did some work on them.
Now I'm hooked!
The way you can swap Barrel and Mid sections in seconds is great.
So easy to work on too, Gearbox takes 20 seconds to remove.
Wiring is minimal, and you can re-wire and fit a MOSFET without having to open the 'Box, tell that to M4/MP5/AK etc owners and watch them weep!

Another bonus is that they're still pretty rare.
Turn up at a game with an M4 (or one of it's dozens of variants), and no-one gives it a second glance, but with an AUG, people want to look at it!

Haha nice one, well I'm used to bullpups but I really fancied the Aug for its looks, the ease of working on and the selectable trigger, it's a very modern design.
Every man and their dog on my site has some M4 variant. Can't say I get on with the rental M4's they just don't feel right.

Soon as I even mentioned getting an AUG it peaked a bit of interest, can't wait to get my membership soon and order the thing.

That diagram looks pretty simple, easy hours work if I take my time.
Can I run a higher voltage with that mosfet?

The MOSFET is rated to 160Amps, you could run your AEG on a car Battery if you wanted!

Obviously, the higher the voltage, the faster it'll cycle, so more wear and tear.

As with upgrading anything mechanical, it's about compromise, more performance is always going to cost something.

If you're going for a high ROF, you'll need to at least adjust the Angle of Engagement. I'd do that as a matter of course anyway, no matter what the ROF is, it's another of those little 'tweaks' that's worth doing to any AEG.

Archived