Midsized Rucksack/Backpack (20-30L) Recommendations.

Tommygunn

I'm off to the Alps this summer and Normandy next year, for the 75th, so I've been thinking about a new rucksack to haul my junk around from day to day.

A couple of things it will need to accommodate; my laptop 37x26x3.5cm, ability to hold a water bladder (3L) and ideally have PALS loops on the sides.

First place I went was Camelbak and the HAWG. I like it and it ticks all the boxes, except loops on the sides, but it is available in multicam. Others I've had a casual look at are the following;

Spec Ops The Pack EDC,

Blackhawk Cyane Dynamic,

Blackhawk Strike Predator

Maxpedition Condor II

Anyone ventured into this area and have any advice or recommendations?

Cheers,

Tom.

Sandstorm,

Thanks for the link. They're the guys I see featured on In Range TV.

I'm probably more likely to go for the Särmä Assault Pack as it is a little more compact at 20L and it still ticks most of the boxes. The price can't be beaten, however, it says that it takes a water bladder but I can't see any exit points for the hose, only the main zip.

Tom.

I can go to the store to take pics of the Särmä packs tomorrow to see how it was, I ended up picking MIlTec because they were out of the Särmä's in Red when I was shopping for that size of pack couple years back.

The store is -extremely- pic-friendly, heck, if one wants to see how something looks like, they can ask the crew to take the pics while one's donning the stuff, no need to swing clumsy selfie sticks around...

Have you had a looked at any of the 5.11 packs ? There Rush range is an absolutely cracking range of bags , I have the Moab 6 , 10 and 24 .

The 6 is my day to day work bag the 10 my day out/over night bag and the 24 is my wknd to a couple of days away bag .

My oldest son has a 10 that he uses as his main college bag .

Main complaint I hear about them is there a bit on the heavy side , but I think it’s an acceptable trade off for the quality and the totally bombproof feel to them .

I have a Rush MOAB 10, and it's indeed bomb-proof... The single-sling, though, and the weight, tends to pull it askew on me. The utlity on being able to swing it easily in front, though.

And what they lack is width to fit a laptop in comfortably.

Sandstorm,

Thanks very much for taking the time to find that out, very helpful.

One other question, the outer upper pouch appears not to be, but does the lower outer pouch have an internal pocketing system for torches, knives, pens etc like that of this DUST MkII?: https://us.directactiongear.com/packs-and-bags/dust-backpack#MCM

Gents,

I've had a look at the 5.11's and the 24 would seem the most appropriate but I think it might be too large. The others mentioned, 6 & 10, are single, sling type bags aren't they? In any case the 5.11 web page has decided to deny me access!

The Crye AVS, bloody hell, that's pricey!

Cheers,

Tom.

I knew I should have taken more pics of the ruck. Unfortunately, I have work commitment tomorrow evening and not sure how okay I will be after that on Saturday,. Sunday, the store is closed and on Monday I have some after-work stuff as well, tuesday I am at customer offices, so next Wednesday would be earliest. But I might have to go there anyway for some supplies for Midsummer camping trip...

Druid,

Does it come with the waist belt or does that have to be bought separately?

Also, as part of the dimensions it says left and right pockets. I've looked at their photos and a video or two and can't tell where they are, are they behind the left and right PALS panels, concealed?

Tom.

Wingman,

Thanks for the link. Trouble is, with that one is that it doesn't quite do all that I want in terms of PALS, waist belt and admin organisation(or does it - no internal pouch photos) for a torch, knife, pens, this, that and the other.

Tom.

Druid,

This video just answered my waist belt question, they are aftermarket. Are they 1 1/4"?

I presume you have this pack? If so, do you have any criticisms? In the same video, at 13:32, he mentions wear to the main shoulder straps.

Tom.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:33 AM, Tommygunn said:

Wingman,

Thanks for the link. Trouble is, with that one is that it doesn't quite do all that I want in terms of PALS, waist belt and admin organisation(or does it - no internal pouch photos) for a torch, knife, pens, this, that and the other.

Tom.

If you need a short video of the backpack, just let me know.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, Tommygunn said:

Druid,

This video just answered my waist belt question, they are aftermarket. Are they 1 1/4"?

I presume you have this pack? If so, do you have any criticisms? In the same video, at 13:32, he mentions wear to the main shoulder straps.

Tom.

I don’t have the 12 but I have looked at one , and correct there aren’t any side pockets , the 24 has two on the front panel perhaps that’s what it’s referin too ? Yup the wast belt is one and a quarter . But saying that the 5.11 one is ridiculously expensive for what it is and I don’t think you’d need it with a pack of this size , even when my 24 is fully loaded it’s not needed .

cant speak for long term experience with the 24 but my 10 has had a lot of use over the past 5-6 yrs and the 6 has had practically daily use in the same period of time as it’s my EDC , I look after my kit so there’s zero wear and tear on either of them . The 24 I’d put up against a new one and I do think you’d have trouble telling them apart .

hope this helps bud . 👍

Druid and everybody else,

Thanks for the help with this.

I have made a decision and, yes, I will buy the 5.11 Rush 12 in Multicam. It just does and has everything that I want.

Druid,

As you say the likelihood is that I won't need the waist belt but it's nice to have the option, also, the missus works in the fashion industry so she should be able to source some webbing and a fastex buckle. If not, they are easy enough to find on the web.

Thanks again,

Tom.

Archived