Ebay 'Import Charges' Scam And How To Resolve It?

Tommygunn

A day a go I bought a Casio watch from someone in the US: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-BM-500W-watch-Excellent-Condition-FREE-SHIPPING-/332680236830?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Y53gXxUyghMri72iisK73DIE3Tw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What I wasn't expecting was that I would have to pay an additional amount of $14.91 of so called 'import charges' when I go to make payment. Now I've seen this in the past but since I've never made a payment that involved this nonsense I just thought it was some advisory . No, it's not.

So, what do I do? I have no issue with the seller and I want to pay the price and postage but I am dead set against this so called import charge which for me, personally, is an issue for the Italian Customs and myself to sort out, not some go-between, middle man who takes a cut and doesn't provide and transparency in terms of what I am actually paying e.g.TARIC Codes, guaranties, % etc.

How do I resolve this amicably with the seller? Can I just contact them and say send me a revised invoice via Ebay or what?

If, at the end of the day it goes badly, how can I prevent money being taken from my card/bank account, which from what I hear of Paypal they just do that to people on a whim anyway?

Cheers,

Tom.

Find it in your purchase history and see if you can cancel it.  If not, contact the seller and ask them to cancel it. They might re list one with no pre paid customs charges for you if you asked.

I'm not sure you posted the right link but they are probably using the "global shipping programme", and yeah ebay acts as the middleman. So the seller posts it to a domestic address and then it gets shipped out like that with a tracking number bla bla bla

Definitely the right link: Ebay.co.uk > Purchase History > Unpaid Items > Clicked item title > See Original Listing.

Edit: Your right! When I log out of Ebay it goes to a completely different listing and seller.

Hold on.

Tom.

It's not a scam and trust me, those guys do it better and faster than any incompetent *dampsuitcase* in Italian customs (and I do believe they're no better than the local ones). I ordered through Ebay several times with the international shipping broker involved and everything turned up on time.

Unless you're expecting the incompetent dipstick to work as usual and let the shipment through with no charges, but that's an entirely different topic.

Archived