Plate Carrier Basics and Details

bonjour mon ami

Hey all,

More of a general question, but what are the "essential" items that one would find on a plate carrier? Beyond magazines and IFAK. What are some of the tinier details to add to a carrier in order to make it seem more authentic? 

For sake of arguments, this hypothetical carrier is a somewhat minimalist inspired carrier. 

A plate carrier has three main purposes. 

1. Stopping holes (plates)

2. Plugging holes (IFAK)

3. Making holes (mags)

After those three have been covered, it's pretty much up to the individual and their preferences and the way they distribute gear and of course mission requirements.

Trying to keep as high speed as possible, you could just add a dummy fixed blade knife and a radio and call it a day.

A tiny light, I carry mine whether it's on a plate carrier or a chest rig, super helpful, there are high speed low drag ones by Princeton Tec etc but I use a relatively cheap Quiqlite X (white/red), the red light is especially useful for navigating pitch black environment without blinding yourself and announcing your position. 

Essential items: ammunition, hydration, communications

By "authenticity," I'm assuming you mean items that add a bit of "cool guy/real operator" flair to your carrier.

Carabiner, tourniquet (I like the MSW tourniquets to use as medic bandages), multi-tool, flash-light/head-lamp, chem sticks, v-lites or similar (I like to use one as a dead light when I'm playing in dark areas).

I've seen dudes carry things like bolt cutters, flex-cuffs or IR chem lights, but these seem pretty over the top. How many places actually let you use bolt cutters? How many places/people will let you use flex cuffs? That sort of stuff is pretty "authentic," but pointless to carry for airsoft. A multitool and a flash-light are definitely useful things to carry even in an airsoft setting.

General advice would be to carry what you need, leave what you don't. Unnecessary kit is extra weight and potential snag hazards, especially if working in tighter areas - vehicles, CQB for example. "Authentic" is a bit tricky - if you have a specific look you want to achieve - SEALs/MARSOC/etc. - then look at what they typically carry, but bear in mind that they will vary it depending on the particular mission requirements. Ultimately, I'd suggest set it up how you think you will need it, then use-revise-use-revise etc. until you settle on what works for you.

Archived