W&P Revival Show is on Netflix's Dark Tourist

Dentonboy

Once again, the subject of the Far Right and Facism rears its head at Beltring's W&P Show. 

I have spoken about this before on Arnies and whilst I think having elements of the Axis represented at the W&P Show is wholly relevant and necessary, the Nazi merchandise still for sale on many stalls, including a very prominent British reenactment stall - Hitler mugs, badges, flags and t shirts is in very poor taste and doesn't help with the image of the show in the slightest, in my opinion. 

I do not like seeing SS uniforms on show or being worn either, but I do understand why they are there. I have to say, I hate seeing SS uniforms worn when skirmishing. 

Any how, the W&P Show is on Dark Tourist for around a third of an episode, so hey, if you had been to the W&P Show in 2017, your mug may well be on Netflix... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 11:02 AM, Dentonboy said:

I hate seeing SS uniforms worn when skirmishing. 

As far as I'm concerned edgelord kits of all sorts (of which Nazi German ones are by far the most common) are nothing less than embarrassing attention-seeking at other players' expense. I'm Jewish. I don't want to see Nazi uniforms when I go play airsoft. I've overheard marshals discussing where to hang a Nazi flag in the safe zone and frankly I don't want to see that either. I don't make everyone else uncomfortable by wearing KZ inmate's uniform, and everyone else can repay the favour by not wearing a KZ guard's uniform.

If you feel like your life is simply incomplete without dressing as Oskar Dirlewanger, then do it in the discomfort of your own home, or in places where everyone understands they're going to encounter colossal wehraboos. Don't bring it to a walk-on skirmish, or I will explain to you in excruciating detail exactly why I don't think it's appropriate. Trust me, listening to my ceaseless, seething complaints for 15 minutes minimum will take all of the fun out of putting the costume on in the first place.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:02 AM, Dentonboy said:

I have spoken about this before on Arnies and whilst I think having elements of the Axis represented at the W&P Show is wholly relevant and necessary, the Nazi merchandise still for sale on many stalls [...] is in very poor taste and doesn't help with the image of the show in the slightest, in my opinion. 

Pretty much sums it up for me. I will never be able to forget a scene in Panorama's "Weekend Nazis" episode where John Sweeney tries to get a stallholder to explain why he is selling a trolley from Bergen Belsen. Or the Nazi wedding. Or famously convicted Holocaust denier David Irving signing autographs, for that matter.

That Weekend nazis programme was a load of clearly edited *suitcase* put together to fit their agenda. No mention of the fat *suitcase* refusing to move out of the way of an ambulance picking up someone who'd hurt themselves. 

As for axis uniforms worn for skirmishes, imo as long as you're going for a combat unit rather than Allgemeine or SS-Totenkopfverbände (yes I do know the waffen SS did commit war crimes too) and you don't take the by goose stepping around, doing nazi salutes or generally being a *rickroll*. I do understand why others may get upset by others wearing German WW2 uniforms though 

Edit: on a lighter note at least they didn't *fruitcage* up like this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/nazi-uniforms-gloucester-allo-allo-1955653.amp

I remember a game where a couple of guys were dressed as WW2 germans They werent paying attention during the brief so asked what the game was, I explained and they said "so basically go down there and kill the baddies" my mate lent over and said "dudes, with what you're wearing, you're the baddies!" 

Me personally , Wehrmacht ? not a problem , Fallschirmjäger ? again no problem . But for me the ‘uncomfortable’ feelings start when you see players wearing the hardcore Nazi regalia and the like , it’s the symbol’s and badges and what they stood for that I’m just not comfortable with that on an airsoft field . Really not to sure about at a re-enactment event (you can’t use the ‘education’ excuse for having it on display, no ones going to forget what happened) just I really don’t think it’s apropriate or the right message to be giving out at an airsoft event .

• 1 month later...

Would you object to USSR Commissar Uniforms? Soviet memorabilia? Stalin mugs?

It boggles my mind that people will find Nazi stuff in poor taste, but have no problem with Soviet stuff, when they are/were both horrid belief systems that committed countless crimes and were both anti-semetic. 

15 hours ago, AG1212 said:

It boggles my mind that people will find Nazi stuff in poor taste, but have no problem with Soviet stuff, when they are/were both horrid belief systems that committed countless crimes and were both anti-semetic. 

My stance on it is that both the types of people that have a nazi fetish, and those that have a communism fetish, all under the guise of historical interests, are tools.

Nazis are the dangerous tools however - in any case yes I agree with you on principle, I don't really like seeing either - thus I judge them

20 hours ago, AG1212 said:

Commissar uniforms ? Yes I’d object , memorabilia? General day to day communist stuff , no I wouldn’t but again would depend on what it is , if it’s celebrating the 20’000,000+ Russians he killed then again no I wouldn’t support its use , as to Stalin mugs as long as there not saying ‘he wasn’t THAT bad!’ Or *suitcase* like that then yea I’d think there in bad taste but so’s a lot of other stuff .

BUT the crucial point for me is 90% of joe public wouldn’t know a commissar hat badge from a ‘hero road sweeper of the revolution’ class 3 badge if they saw one ! Where as basically everyone will recognise nazi memorabilia pretty much straight away .

The fact that people can look at a hammer and sickle or a Che shirt and not be offended, but see anything WW2 German and throw a fit scares me. I'm not saying anyone here is like that, but you're right joe public sees things very differently, especially in the current political climate. Probably not the best optics.

I think people should have the right to buy or wear anything, doesn't mean I won't think they're a tit though.

I feel like you're being a bit disingenuous here considering most people are specifically talking about objectively *suitcase* stuff i.e. deliberately displaying the swastika at an airsoft game, or selling hitler worship memorabilia. No one's throwing a fit over someone dressing as the (so-called) "clean wehrmacht" despite their not-so-clean status. 

Archived