Western Arms cocking issues

idmurp

1365623007_wapistol.thumb.jpg.f8bb8381dd5ee6d59cde872d99a069a6.jpg

I have a WA infinity pistol Im trying to get shooting(its gonna be a bit of a project I suspect).  the hammer wont cock  when I rack the slide, if I push the indicated part down below the surface it will cock.  The part looks worn.

A.whats the part called, I know its part part 37 from the link below, anyone know where I can get replacements?

B. Anyone know anything else likely to be the issue other than this?

http://www.pegatiros.com/download/despieces/westernarms/wa-Colt1911.jpg

cheers 

Ian

It's called the upper disconnector. It doesn't look too worn to me.

Seems like you have a sear issue.  Take it apart and see how it interfaces with the lower disconnector and the sear.

Dentrinity has upper disconnectors in stock according to their site but who knows if it's actually in stock. PN 3037B

Couldn't see anything obviously wrong.  Stripped it right down and cleaned and reassembled .  Everything feels a bit looser then I would expect but no obvious wear.  Still performing the same.  This did use to fire in this configuration, 10 years ago.  

Does the sear look right?  It looks much "flatter" than the one on Dentrinity(thanks for that website btw)

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_list.jsp?cid=OTA_S&bid=SAR&pg=2&rpp=10

Preview attachment IMG_20181028_154345381.jpg

SOrry trying again.  Are these visible?  Cant see any security settings.

After removing the sear and refitting I have gone from successful cocks 1/10 attempts to 9/10.  I did not make any changes, just removed, inspected and refitted.  I cant see anything obvious wrong, is it possible the sear is just old?  It still seams that I get more success if I depress the upper connector using my finger than with the slide.  

https://idmurp.imgur.com/all/

Did you recently take the grip off and put it back on? There's a chance the lower part of the disconnector isn't properly being pushed by either the trigger bar or the leaf spring. There is also a spring which sits under the top part of the disconnector (the one which touches the blowback unit) which may have gotten removed through disassembly.

5 hours ago, Wooly_Booly said:

Did you recently take the grip off and put it back on? There's a chance the lower part of the disconnector isn't properly being pushed by either the trigger bar or the leaf spring. There is also a spring which sits under the top part of the disconnector (the one which touches the blowback unit) which may have gotten removed through disassembly.

About 6 years ago it started light striking and not cocking.  I didnt strip it at the time and boxed it up intending to look at "later", its now later 😛  Bear in mind I am fairly practical but not worked on a gas blow back pistol before.

I dont think the slide is worn, the disconnector is more worn but having seen a complete one now not that badly.  Also see below for the change in performance now.

The spring under the disconnector is there and seems to be working correctly. The disconnector is moving freely. I am assuming this spring is part 73 on this diagram

http://www.pegatiros.com/download/despieces/westernarms/wa-Colt1911.jpg

trigger bar seems to be working correctly

Now I have removed the sear, inspected and put it back in and I'm getting it to work 90% of the time now, not 10%.  No changes to it, just took it off, had a look and put it back.  This is making me think its the sear?  I am very tempted to bend the sear a tiny bit more, and see if that further improves matters, unless someone can suggest otherwise.  

Why hello :)

I can only snatch a bit of time to reply so apologies if this all seems rushed and badly composed.

Okay, I cannot get any pictures shown above to work so we are going to have to do this the slow way.

Photos of the components out would really really help and eliminate any parts breakage causing the issue.

For the sake of clarity:

Sear#24, Lower disconnector #25, Sear spring aka Leaf spring #72

Assuming that there is no damage to the sear nose or hammer hooks -  as Wooly suggested above, I would try increasing tension forwards on the 2 left hand (as if the gun was pointing away from you) leaf spring prongs. The middle one is the main suspect - the critical lower disconnector and sear prong, the left one is for trigger return but we need to eliminate as much as possible.

To help you see what is happening, reassemble the gun minus the grip safety. This will allow you to see the trigger mech as you cock and rack it. 

If this does not help then make sure that the lower disconnector is not getting caught on the bottom of the sear thus not rising as the action is cycled or other issues, but let's try the basics first as that is more a trigger reset issue than your "hammer not cocking". 

My home internet is down tonight so can't check parts or try sort out my photo sharing.  Will put photos up of all parts when it was is back.

Reassembled without the safety, thank you that makes it much easier to see what's happening.  Not to diagnose but I can at least see now how it works :p. It's really hard to video! Need 3 hands.

Not that it will help as I can't see a difference in the movement of the disconnect or when it is successful or fails to cock.  The trigger bar is not pushed back causing it to fail, the disconnector seems to move the same on a success or failure.  

I can manually cock 100% of the time

Using the slide it works 90%, sometimes it goes through 6-7 cycles with no cock then starts again.  Cycling the slide slower seems to help a bit. 

Probably not much help until I get photos up.  

My home internet is down tonight so can't check parts or try sort out my photo sharing.  Will put photos up of all parts when it was is back.

Reassembled without the safety, thank you that makes it much easier to see what's happening.  Not to diagnose but I can at least see now how it works :p. It's really hard to video! Need 3 hands.

Not that it will help as I can't see a difference in the movement of the disconnect or when it is successful or fails to cock.  The trigger bar is not pushed back causing it to fail, the disconnector seems to move the same on a success or failure.  

I can manually cock 100% of the time

Using the slide it works 90%, sometimes it goes through 6-7 cycles with no cock then starts again.  Cycling the slide slower seems to help a bit. 

Probably not much help until I get photos up.  

Still not got Internet back.  But...

Due to clearly bad design and nothing at all do to user incompetence I spotted the issue, I had the sear spring position wrong.  Spotted it once I assembled with the safety removed.  So that problem is solved.

So now it cocks each time, and after a clean and lube feels very different to how it did before I started working on it.  

Can anyone tell me what part 71 is called, the spring in the blowback unit?  When I fire it now the blowback unit is Jaming open and that spring is badly deformed and catching.  

Archived